PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot's Table

bakerkr
10-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Hello All!

Okay, getting ready to get things rolling on my end, but wanted to throw this out there. EVERYONE I've talked to LOVES their bot, which builds my confidence with Shotbot as a company, however just about everyone I've talked to says they would build their own table. My confidence drops a bit as I try to understand why Shopbot charges $2K for a table everyone seems to hate and from what I gather doesn't really do it's job.

I'm still in the learning phase and must admit a bit lost as I read all the posts on different table designs. I want to ensure when I build my table, it's stiff enough. I understand why the table needs to be stiff, but again, all the different post have me a bit confused.

Does anyone have a table they have built they are happy with and wouldn't mind sharing their plans? I know nothing about metals and the different types, etc, so If anyone can help, I'll need the plans in the simplest terms possible. My plan is to take a list of the metal parts I need to a local metal shop, have them cut and drill the holes, then take it home and assemble, once everything is in place and level, I may have someone weld it.

Thanks,
Kevin

gerald_d
10-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Kevin,

I think that you are completely wrong in your deductions in the first paragraph. Those of us on the Forum are a nitpicking minority - it is this nitpicking that binds us together here. I am sure that the stuff from ShopBot keeps 90% of their customers happy. If you are unsure of yourself and your skills, build the standard thing. If it is not good enough for you then a couple more pieces of iron can be added quite easily.

3d_danny
10-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Kevin,

I built my table instead of buying one because I found I could do it for less than half what Shopbot wanted for theirs. I also wanted to have the table in place when I recieved my bot.

I built my table to the specs that were provided by Shopbot and it is very strong. The only thing that I changed was the length of the legs. I wanted it lower so it would be easier to reach over the sides.

You can buy a bolt and bracket "kit" from Shopbot that has all of the bolts, nuts, washers, spacers and corner braces.

The hardest part is drilling all of those holes.

Dan

mikejohn
10-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Kevin
Go to the very first message in part one of this (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=7&post=26007#POST26007) thread (this is part 3, go backwards from the first message.)
Glean what you can from all that, then come back if you need specific answers to any questions.
If you can find a welder, weld the sides, then bolt the sides to gether with the cross pieces, as advised by Gerald.
My table is perfect for its purpose.
Gerald, maybe bakers are after ShopBots because they knead the dough!
...............Mike

burchbot
10-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Hi Kevin
I have been coming to the shopbot. forum for three years now and I don’t ever recall anybody hating the shopbot tables. There are people that believe they can build a better table then the plan’s call for and they do. That is not to say the standard table is bad. I built my table with plans from shopbot. I am more than happy with the result. I did a simple upgrade by beefing up the cross members and that was only because I got a good deal on the stock. The most important thing is what you do after the table is built. That is the proper set up of the machine.
Good luck Kevin
Dan

Towersonline
10-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Kevin, I went with the ShopBot table. Not sorry I did. To me time is money. How long would it take to build a wooden table, several days I bet. The steel table goes together in about a day. I have moved my machine 3 times now. It’s quite easy to break it down, can't do it with wood very easily. Just my two cents.

All the best with your new machine.

Bill Thorpe

hespj
10-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Some of us who built our own tables are not in the States and shipping charges make the SB table expensive for us.

gerald_d
10-17-2005, 11:45 AM
....and one of the Hesp brothers is a fine welder too!

bob_lofthouse
10-17-2005, 12:40 PM
We bought our table which I think is great... and in hindsight I now know we couldn't have done a good a job as John Hesp has done with his.

The one thing I will say about the Shopbot table is that the pictures on the shopbot site don't do it any justice. It really is a very heavy sturdy table.

bakerkr
10-17-2005, 03:29 PM
All -

Okay, It's all beginning to make sense now. I originally wanted to purchase the Shopbot table, but began to hear so many folks adding more iron and making their own that I began to think he Shopbot table wasn't very good. I'll go with the Shopbot table.

Thanks to everyone who posted - you guys are great!

Kevin