PDA

View Full Version : table leg

myxpykalix
12-28-2012, 12:17 AM
3 more to go, designed for a customer. It took me longer to glue up the pine to make it 5x5. You can't find 6x6 untreated pine ANYWHERE!

CNYDWW
12-28-2012, 05:44 AM
I'm spoiled now jack, we've got two sawmills and two kilns at work. Even two shopbots.

Regards

myxpykalix
12-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Well i have access to a 600 acres forest and could have any tree i want and she has a kiln but by the time you do all that it costs you about 6 times per bf.ft then just going and buying 2x4's and gluing up. So i'd rather make the effort for some nice Walnut or figured maple then pine!:eek:

CNYDWW
12-28-2012, 05:44 PM
I understand the difference but then again all our pine is heart pine and just today i was kerfing the back of a $3000 slab of spalted maple for an installed bench project. I'm really getting spoiled.

Regards

myxpykalix
12-28-2012, 08:31 PM
yeah heart pine around here is going for like $10.00/square foot for flooring...nutty!:)

beacon14
12-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Jack you wouldn't want to turn that out of a single 6x6 as it would invariably be twisted and have splits and checks. The way you did it looks much better and will last longer. You can't have too many clamps but you can have too much glue, it's wasteful and just makes the cleanup take longer. Try using a small paint roller to spread an even layer of glue, like painting a thick coat of paint, on BOTH surfaces. Start with a little too much and see how much squeeze-out you get - there has to be squeeze-out all the way around like you said. The goal is to have just a little bit of squeeze out all the way around. Use a little less next time until you get a more or less even bead of squeeze out all the way around every joint. It's not that hard and it's the fastest and most efficient way to do it. I keep the glue roller in a small plastic container with a lid sort of like a paint roller tray, so it's always ready to go. If you always keep the cover on tight it will last for months without having to be cleaned out.

Also if your clamps are long enough and you have some extra wood, adding an unglued layer to the outside on both sides would help spread the clamping pressure and provide more even gluing.

Those are nice looking legs - do we get to see the whole table?

myxpykalix
12-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Those are nice looking legs - do we get to see the whole table?

David the last time I said that to someone i almost got slapped!

You're right re:glue up, i was running around everywhere looking for some 6x6 UNtreated pine and you just can't find it. I was trying to take the easy way out of not having to do the glue-ups because that takes longer then cutting the darn things.
oh well...back to the glue factory.....now where did i leave that horse tied up??:eek:

steve
12-30-2012, 05:01 PM
I roll the glue on too. I use a 4" paint roller, works great, even coat and fast. I keep rolled up in a plastic bag. Lasts for monthes.

rcnewcomb
12-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Try using a small paint roller to spread an even layer of glue, like painting a thick coat of paint, on BOTH surfaces.
Agreed. Glue-ups were much cleaner, faster, and more reliable using this method.

Bob Eustace
01-02-2013, 04:20 AM
I roll the glue on too. I use a 4" paint roller, works great, even coat and fast. I keep rolled up in a plastic bag. Lasts for monthes.

Stephen I just discovered the fantastic table egs etc.n your website. Totally gob smacked! Would really blend in with Michaels Tuscan Grape Clock.

steve
01-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks Bob, gob-smacked is what I was going for.