PDA

View Full Version : Teachers save $2500 on ShopBot Desktops for your classroom

Michael Berliner
01-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Calling all teachers! As of today, Jan. 21, 2013, there are only 35 of 50 ShopBot Desktops still available as part of the limited-time, Digital Fab Tools for Schools promotion. Working with Autodesk, we're providing a $2500 Voucher toward purchase of a ShopBot Desktop CNC router along with Autodesk 123D Design Software for your school or other educational program.

That's a significant savings from the standard pricing. You can order a Desktop with router or industrial spindle. Check out the details and get your Voucher at www.100kSchools.org. Act quick - they are moving fast

myxpykalix
01-21-2013, 04:43 PM
I might have missed this info but can you tell me the specific "school" requirements needed to qualify for this discount?

We have a local Technical education Center here and along with public access television this might be a good kickstart for a class in both the computer end but the manufacturing end of their creation process.
But there are probably certain criteria for qualification that i'd like to find out about?

tonydude919
01-21-2013, 10:45 PM
http://www.100kschools.org/voucher-info.php

myxpykalix
01-22-2013, 07:38 AM
What i was looking for was what criteria they use to qualify an institution as a "school" for their purposes. Why I ask is we have a Technical Education center here and i'm looking at teaching a course thru them but I don't know whether they have the funds for this machine right now (don't know their budgeting process) or whether I might have to help get it financed, or whether that makes a difference?

Hoytbasses
01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Thank goodness I saw the e-mail for this offer: I jumped on it (I've been bugging my principal for about 3 years to get a CNC machine) and thankfully we found the $$ to get the router equipped desktop.

...should be arriving this week. you can expect a flurry of dumb beginner questions by the following week, but I'm very psyched about this(as is my students)

Karl Hoyt
Nauset Regional High School
Cape Cod, Ma.

gsartor_1999
03-07-2013, 08:41 PM
This forum is great for beginner questions but many of the people have larger format machines. I have had one in my school for about a year now (middle school) and I learn something every time I use it!

Recently I discovered the amazing benefits of the "plotter pen" from "widget works". It is an awesome way to work out a lot of kinks without wasting material. It also makes hold down a non issue-I just clamp down a board and tape the paper to the board with masking tape. It is spring loaded so the tolerances are not as critical and you can play around with design/placement/etc with a fairly quick result. I also figured out that it is easy to scavenge parts (tips) from larger sharpies which are more readily available than the short ones that come with the bit. I mashed a few tips in the learning process but you can just pry them out of the sharpie barrel.

I keep thinking I need to document this process so I can share on this forum. Maybe this will inspire me to post more photos more often. Have fun!