PDA

View Full Version : Tree Faces

JDaVinci
01-24-2013, 01:02 PM
I've been absent from the forums for a bit. But I'm back with what I've been working on. Parade Floats!

This was a fun project, as we were able to utilize most of our in house technology to produce the floats this year.

The client provided pictures of some of their elderly basket weavers, and I suggested a design that had the faces sculpted into the sides of a large tree (inspired by Pocahontas).

Here are some pictures of the float and the faces on the tree.
I sculpted the faces from clay, then 3D Scanned, then cut from EPS foam on the Shopbot.

ssflyer
01-24-2013, 01:35 PM
JD - that's WAY COOL! Did you do the tree, too?

JDaVinci
01-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Ron, yes... much to share, saving that for a later post. The faces were a part of the project that the Shopbot shined on though. Most of the work on the rest of the tree was done by hand.

The rocks were also done on the shopbot however.
Thanks!

Doug Haffner
01-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Looks great, JD. I think the faces came out superb. Can't wait to hear more about the tree.

myxpykalix
01-24-2013, 04:06 PM
JD I especially like the work done in pic (3 of 3) with the smaller subject on the left. The carving and facial details are great. I love the details and colors in the beard and the glasses...tell the creator of that piece he did a great job......
OH wait, that would be GOD!:D:rolleyes:

JDaVinci
01-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the comments... and Jack, I'll let the big man know you think he did a great job on Matt. Matt will be pleased to know his details are so stunning.
Thanks,
JD

Brian Harnett
01-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Thats really cool I am assuming the face was done in layers? it looks like the profile is pretty high.

Brady Watson
01-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Looks great, JD. Keep it up!

-B