PDA

View Full Version : Fallen warrior

cowboy1296
01-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Not sure if this has been posted yet. But Chris at http://cncmilitaryemblems.com/
has now created a 3-d file for a free download honoring our fallen soldiers and marines and other warriors. I like the amount of detail in his files. This is a file I wish was not necessary but as long as there is evil in this world our warriors will sometimes have to give all. Thanks Chris, great job.

MogulTx
01-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Stupid Question Time: I have downloaded the file, and then right clicked to get to a drop down where I can "Extract All" and then put them in a fallen soldier file, and went to open them in Aspire 3.5... can't find files that can be loaded. Next: Went to the dowload /extraction file and tried to open. Could not load data. / found no data.

Went back to aspire and started a new file, then tried to import... again, so such luck.

Can you head me in the right direction? I don't know a family of a recent fallen soldier, but I would like to experiment with this, and, should I know of one locally, would like to present them with a small gift of a plaque like this out of Cherry or Maple or something... ( I know it is a SMALL token... but I'd like to do it none the less).

And if anyone had a file that I could cut that thanks a soldier/sailor/airman for their service. I would like to cut some for several young folks locally who have served- including one of my friends who was in the Guard, and a nephew who is a Marine and is about to deploy to Afghanistan...

(Many thanks in advance.)

OOOOOOOPPPPPS! The second time through it DID import the file. Why it didn't the first time is a mystery. The machine may still have been writing the files or something...?

It would still be great if I could find an appropriate file ( or even just a great idea as to what might be appropriate) and set it up for some deserving people who are serving their country....

cowboy1296
01-27-2013, 01:17 PM
I have done a few military plaques. Let your imagination be your guide. 3-d always dresses up the plaque. Here is one I did for a retired Col in the army.

MogulTx
01-27-2013, 08:44 PM
That is GREAT! Tha is the sort of thing that someone will cherish for a long time!
Great work! ( And great to give back something to those who are trying so hard to serve their country.)

Coleman Becker
02-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Here is a plaque I did for my friend who is a helicopter mechanic in the marines

cowboy1296
03-09-2013, 08:43 AM
This is my first cutting with the file and it cuts great. Although I had permission to use the soldiers name I think I will keep that private.

JackM
03-23-2013, 09:50 PM
I just wanted to put in one word of caution on this thread.
There is a difference between a Fallen Warrior, a Wounded Warrior, and a Returning Warrior.

The graphic on that particular file is indicative of a Fallen Warrior (Empty boots, rifle w/ helmet on bayonet).
A Fallen Warrior will never have dinner with his/her family again or attend a unit reunion. (S)he gave it all in defense of the US constitution and way of life.

A Returning Warrior has given much in the defense of the US constitution and way of life. BUT, they did not die in that service. Many returning servicemembers might have trouble receiving a plaque with a Fallen Warrior imagery. They knew those Fallen Warriors and some have survivor guilt.

I have known many Wounded Warriors and Returning Warriors. Their sensibilities may be contextually different than non-veterans.

My point is, please be thoughtful of what tributes you are rendering and to whom.

Jack L. McCarty
MSgt, USAF (Retired)

cowboy1296
03-23-2013, 10:33 PM
But feel assured that this is not something that is going on sale in a gift shop but as a memorial to the fallen soldier whose name was removed. The proceeds that were generated from this cutting will be used to feed wounded warriors mid april from Ft Carson. This was an agreement between the mother and myself. I do not know how to be more respectful then that. Also bottom line no money was made to produce this plaque. That price had already been paid.

The artwork was generated by a graphic designer who is a vet and he gave it freely to any cnc operator that wanted it. I know for a period of time there were many requests for the artwork.

Hopefully this will make you feel better.

All gave some but some gave all.

JackM
03-24-2013, 12:39 AM
But feel assured that this is not something that is going on sale in a gift shop but as a memorial to the fallen soldier whose name was removed. The proceeds that were generated from this cutting will be used to feed wounded warriors mid april from Ft Carson. This was an agreement between the mother and myself. I do not know how to be more respectful then that. Also bottom line no money was made to produce this plaque. That price had already been paid.

The artwork was generated by a graphic designer who is a vet and he gave it freely to any cnc operator that wanted it. I know for a period of time there were many requests for the artwork.

Hopefully this will make you feel better.

All gave some but some gave all.

Roger that, Cowboy. My only concern was the recipients and the possibility of good intentions going sideways due to misunderstanding of the symbols. For the artist, thank you for your service. For those raising money for Wounded Warriors, thank you for your respect and actions.

cowboy1296
03-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Nothing worse then stolen valor

cowboy1296
03-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Tell me Coleman how much of a saning night mare were those marine plaques.

cowboy1296
04-17-2013, 09:50 AM
This one goes out to a friend of mine. The tally-band tried to blow up him up twice but he survived both attacks. You have to admire his choice of website names. I found a couple of finishing blemishes which will be fixed today. All artwork bought from Vector Art 3-d or made with Aspire 3.5, the wood is clean alder

MogulTx
04-17-2013, 01:05 PM
That is an EXCELLENT tribute! Great work!

cowboy1296
04-26-2013, 09:10 AM
This one goes out to a Viet Nam era vet who was wounded.

MogulTx
04-26-2013, 09:35 AM
GOSH, I love your work! That stuff looks FANTASTIC!

The people who receive these have got to be thrilled.

Keep up your fantastic work!

MGM

cowboy1296
04-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Shopbot does a great job of cutting, Rick sucks at finishing. Thanks for the comments

cowboy1296
06-04-2013, 01:43 PM
This is going out to a retired cop down in Houston.

cowboy1296
06-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Not sure how many of you are aware what happened in Houston this past week. 4 firefighters were killed on the same scene and several injured, one severely. This will be headed to Houston this week to be used in which ever way will bring the most benefit. Its nearly 18 inches tall.

cowboy1296
10-27-2013, 08:54 AM
This goes out to my favorite military support group here in Colorado.

genek
10-27-2013, 11:18 AM
I just wanted to put in one word of caution on this thread.
There is a difference between a Fallen Warrior, a Wounded Warrior, and a Returning Warrior.

The graphic on that particular file is indicative of a Fallen Warrior (Empty boots, rifle w/ helmet on bayonet).
A Fallen Warrior will never have dinner with his/her family again or attend a unit reunion. (S)he gave it all in defense of the US constitution and way of life.

A Returning Warrior has given much in the defense of the US constitution and way of life. BUT, they did not die in that service. Many returning servicemembers might have trouble receiving a plaque with a Fallen Warrior imagery. They knew those Fallen Warriors and some have survivor guilt.

I have known many Wounded Warriors and Returning Warriors. Their sensibilities may be contextually different than non-veterans.

My point is, please be thoughtful of what tributes you are rendering and to whom.

Jack L. McCarty
MSgt, USAF (Retired)

Mr. McCarty Thanks for pointing that out. Also some wounded warriors wounds you can not see, they are not surface wounds. Tina and I have sponsored wounded warrior fishing tournaments for the past 5 years. One of the things we tell our volunteers do not look at or bring them aware that you are looking at their wounds, i Another thing never to do is ask how they got wounded, how many they have killed, The best thing is to let them tell you what they feel comfortable telling you.

cowboy1296
11-03-2013, 04:52 PM
This time it was made from cherry.

Something simple and something differant for me. I glued a piece of black walnut on top of a piece of alder. I insured that the 3-d file cut through the black walnut exposing the alder for the cross. The medical file came from 3d model club and since i could not find a cross that I liked and would work with this scheme I just made one using aspire 3.5

myxpykalix
11-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Rick,
I like both projects they are very nice. The finish on the cherry is beautiful.
Let me ask you what might be a dumb question....
Why glue the two woods together THEN cut it...as opposed to cutting them seperately THEN gluing them together? :confused:

They both turned out excellent!:D

cowboy1296
11-03-2013, 05:21 PM
No major reason behind it other than i just wanted to try it. As you can imagine on the edges the emblem is quite thick, but i knew that going in. Over all thickness is 2.25 inches thick.

myxpykalix
11-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Oh, and here i was, expecting some super fancy secret cutting strategy that made it easier and better outcome:eek::D lol

But that does bring up some questions...when you created the 3d surface you had to include the outline of the emblem and intersect it with the outline of the cross right?
In order to cut to the bottom of the emblem did you have to take some of the surface of the cross? If so, did you see a small ridge of the cross under the emblem?
What form did you glue together in the first place? Was it squares?

I like asking questions to satisfy my curiosity so as to understand the reason you did it this way...because i figure there was more to it then...
No major reason behind it other than i just wanted to try it lol:D

thanks buddy....they look great

cowboy1296
11-03-2013, 06:46 PM
I glued two scrap rectangle pieces together. and with a caliper i measured the depth of each board. This dictated just how deep i would have to cut to cut through the black walnut. The cross itself is a componant. So when i put the medical componant on top of the cross I used the outline tool in modeling and it outline the two as if they were one.

I had been wanting to try this for a while but perhaps it would have looked better as a bowl cutting.

I think that addressed everything if not just ask

myxpykalix
11-03-2013, 09:15 PM
well they both turned out really well.....good job:D

cowboy1296
12-20-2013, 02:38 PM
There is one more seal coat to go on and this one will be considered finished. The rope border from vector art 3-d, vector dr did the v-carve and I created the rest on aspire 3.5. It is made from black walnut.

genek
12-20-2013, 03:29 PM
beautiful supper nice.

cowboy1296
12-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks. I think that the next time around I will v carve the wreath thingys on the sides instead of making them components.

Brady Watson
12-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Beautifully done, Rick. Your stuff seems to look nicer and nicer as time goes on. Thanks for posting.

-B

cowboy1296
12-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Its been a long road, some of the stuff I did in the beginning was ............especially the finishing part. Black walnut is almost simple to work with. I almost added some kitchen oil to highlight the grain..............not really.

cowboy1296
03-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Has anyone mastered warping yet?

Here is my latest in black walnut. This was my first U S Marshal badge to cut and I have already modified the artwork for the next one. It is 18 inches in diameter.

Kyle Stapleton
05-25-2014, 09:29 PM
I have a student who lost his brother in the war and he would like to make a plaque like in Post #6.
He has 6 days to pull it off and I have never run any 3d so I need all the help I can get, I mean the works: feed/speeds, bits ( we have 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 ball nose), wood (LxWxT) and what to use ( we have white pine, red oak, soft maple and maybe cherry and black walnut).
Please help

cowboy1296
05-25-2014, 09:58 PM
at rashwood@centurytel.net

cowboy1296
05-30-2014, 06:34 PM
I cut this from black walnut. It will be hung outside but will be protected from the sun due to it being in a walkway. I chose sikkens log and siding because of the Texas heat and humidity that it will be exposed to.

This one goes out to my favorite Vet support group down in Texas. I was made aware that the parents were at the dedication ceremony.

scottp55
05-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Came out Really Nice Rick. Good job!

cowboy1296
05-30-2014, 07:42 PM
I appreciate that

Kyle Stapleton
05-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Rick, thanks it came out nice.
Now it has a lot of fuzz on it (will not use hard maple next time we do 3d), how do you sand this thing?

cowboy1296
05-30-2014, 09:22 PM
I always end up with fuzzies. The memorial gym plaque that i cut in black walnut i used a brand new bit and still i had fuzzies in the black walnut. I use a little bit of everything. I start off with a sanding mop on a power drill, which gets a little. I then go to work with needle files and sometimes dental picks. I also have a pen sander which ok but not great. Then there are those who believe that if you put on a thin coat of shellac that the fuzzies will stiffen up and become more easy to break off. Its hard to tell but is the memorial in good shape itself, it looks good enough in the picture. Is it just the fuzzies that you are dealing with. Can you email me a good close up picture of the plaque?

Kyle Stapleton
05-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Will send one Monday.
Thanks again.

scottp55
05-31-2014, 08:53 AM
Kyle, good thread. like 80 and 120G bristle discs with a VS flexshaft , but dremel is ok.http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17691&highlight=radial+bristle

scottp55
05-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Oops, insufficient caffeine, But best advice I ever got for fuzzies from forum was to run finish pass twice(Cut full depth and you can go quite a bit faster because you're just skimming it). Helps a LOT but you've already got it off machine.:(

cowboy1296
12-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Another one going about to a viet nam era marine.http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26795&stc=1

myxpykalix
12-04-2015, 07:12 PM
The finish on that is absolutely fantastic........excellent work!

cowboy1296
12-04-2015, 11:53 PM
tanks, but i still have much to learn about finishing.

scottp55
12-05-2015, 05:11 AM
Another Excellent one Rick! :)
Stain on the letters and rope border? Or just end grain sucking it up?
scott

cowboy1296
12-05-2015, 07:31 AM
Gel stain in the letters and rope. When i wipe the excess off i left a little too much on the top. So i sanded it with 400 grit until i liked the color and added one more seal coat. thanks.

scottp55
12-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Thanks Rick.
Just played with my first colored Linseed Butter yesterday, by putting Padauk scraps in denatured and then adding the tincture in and boiling off the denatured.
Jury is out as until the Moose gets some sun...it'll be Salmon colored, but at least it's transparent and you can see the Quilted grain:)
I'm still playing with gels and stink at it.
Keep up the good work.
scott

selphb
12-29-2015, 08:03 PM
Great files on that site!!!

myxpykalix
12-29-2015, 10:29 PM
Great files on that site!!!

What site?

selphb
12-30-2015, 09:04 AM
The site on page one post one on this thread. http://cncmilitaryemblems.com/

cowboy1296
07-18-2018, 10:01 AM
It has been a while since i added to this post. But here are some that i have done in recent monthshttp://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31819&stc=1http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31820&stc=1http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31821&stc=1

joe
07-18-2018, 10:44 AM
Cowboy,

This is state of the art carving. I'm proud for you.

Joe

cowboy1296
07-18-2018, 10:54 AM
Thanks Joe. That was one of the prettiest pieces of black walnut used in the Tun Tavern that i have had in a long time. The panel is one those free 3-d components offered by Vectric when you do an upgrade. That was the first one that i used and i like it. It was 33 inches long by 18 inches tall and will be mounted in a man-cave/bar.

scottp55
07-18-2018, 11:40 AM
BEAUTIFUL cuts,design, and finish Rick!!! :)
Ya keep getting better:)
scott

Tom Bachman
07-18-2018, 11:43 PM
Very nice! Were you contracted to do those? Very timely on the Sheriff officers!

cowboy1296
07-19-2018, 08:09 AM
The marine mantle piece went to a benefit founded by some friends of mine who lost their marine son in some shit hole in iraq.

I have done several memorial plaques for Police who were killed in the line of duty but i cant keep up so i dont do all of them.

The Tun Tavern one i did get money for but trust me i could not make a living out of what i got.

cowboy1296
07-19-2018, 08:12 AM
PM sent, thanks for the response.

cowboy1296
01-22-2019, 09:09 AM
Latest plaque. It is not through yet. Still needs stain for the letters and two final seal coats.http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32430&stc=1