PDA

View Full Version : Bosch or Milwaukee

mnrite
06-08-2005, 09:28 AM
I want to get a spare/second router, I have a PC now. Any thoughts on weather it should be a Bosch 1617EVS or the Milwaukee 5625. Thinking of using the new one for most cuts and bring out the PC for the heavy duty cuts.

Thanks
Mike

edcoleman
06-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Mike:

I've used the Bosch for a number of years and it works fine for my application (mosly 3/4" red oak, pine and MDF). MUCH quieter than the PC. The only problem I've had is that I've had to replace several power switches that died from dust. As far as the Milwaukee...I don't have any experience.

-Ed

billp
06-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Mike,
You might want to check the other thread currently on the board regarding the Milwaukee. I have the Bosch 1617EVS, and I tried the Milwaukee. Two different animals. If you think you will be doing "heavy" cuts just get the Milwaukee. It's quieter than the PC, has more guts, variable speed control to minimize noise, etc. etc. This way you also don't have to switch collars as well because it's only a matter of shimming the Milwaukee, while you need a totally different collar for the Bosch because it's body is much smaller than either of the other units...

sawkerf
06-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Bill, what do you use to shim the Milwaukee? Could you just wrap some thin aluminum flashing around it? Kip.

billp
06-08-2005, 11:09 PM
That's exactly what I used, and it worked fine...