PDA

View Full Version : Marquetry

donek
02-05-2013, 09:23 PM
We're working on developing a finish for a wood veneer snowboard topsheet. These are some samples of marquetry work we're testing at the same time. While we currently have a coating that will survive the cold temperatures and dramatic bending, the finish doesn't quite look as good as we'd like. thought I'd share the results here though.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z1kCW7gZaHA/URG4Ozysh8I/AAAAAAAAAjs/GBqw62KaGqI/s1394/photo.jpg
The veneers have been cut with the D1 drag knife.

Greybarn
02-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Have you looked at any of the epoxies that the surfboard/stand-up paddleboard guys use? I think one of the brands is called Krystal. I am away from my office until Tuesday but can double check the brand name when I get back if needed.

donek
02-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Have you looked at any of the epoxies that the surfboard/stand-up paddleboard guys use? I think one of the brands is called Krystal. I am away from my office until Tuesday but can double check the brand name when I get back if needed.

We have tried a number of things. I'm not a fan of sanding a spraying. When you make a ski or snowboard you print the graphic on a sheet of plastic. You then mask it off for protections. It gets laminated to the ski/board and whenn you are done cutting things out you peel the take and ship the ski/board. We are endeavoring to create a process that would enable us to treat a veneer topsheet in the same manner. The finish is applied before it is ever laminated to the board.