PDA

View Full Version : Denver,CO Camp Shopbot!

billp
02-13-2013, 10:07 AM
We are rescheduling, relocating, and expanding our Camp schedule a bit this year, and one of our NEW Camp locations will be Denver, CO. !
Sean Martin of Donek Snowboards- http://donektools.com/about/ has volunteered to host this event on June 22, 2013.
Sean's shop is located at;
35907 E 88th Ave
Watkins, Co
which is about 15 minutes from the Denver airport, and about 35 minutes outside of "downtown Denver ".
We have never held a Camp in this area so it's a great opportunity for The Shopbotters ,and "want to be" Shopbotters in this region to get together !
Sean has a large shop, and he's incorporated his machine into the production side of the business heavily. He'll obviously go over his Drag Knife tool, and explain the way he's building his boards on his Bot.
As with ALL Camps we're open to having OTHER owners do a short session on THEIR techniques as well. And everyone is invited/urged to bring something you have created with your machine for the "Show and Tell"session.
We'll post details, agenda, etc. in the upcoming weeks and months, but we wanted to post this date early enough for you to add it to your calendars.
If you have specific questions, OR want to send us your "RSVP"please drop me a note at- campshopbot "at" gmail.com

COBOB
02-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Count me in. How could I miss that?

billp
02-13-2013, 12:45 PM
You are IN ! And thanks for the early RSVP....

cowboy1296
02-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Put me down for coming to the camp.

Rick Ashwood

3dsignco
02-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Better not pass this one up since it is only 2 hours from me. Me and my Ghetto-bot. (Started life as a PRT 96 in 2001)
I'll be heading up there with Rick..

billp
02-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Bill,
Thanks for the RSVP! I'll add you to the list this evening...

jim_ludi
03-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Yahoo! No five-hundred mile drive to Camp this year. Count me in too, really. Thanks Sean. Jim Ludi

billp
03-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Jim,
You're in! See you there...

donek
03-07-2013, 08:55 PM
I'll be providing a demonstration of the new Vectric drag knife gadget and the use of the Donek tools Drag knife. The obvious demo is to cut veneer. If there are other materials people would like to see instead, let me know. This will be my first Camp Shopbot, so I'm sure we'll learn a lot of new techniques. I will be happy to show off any of the CNC techniques we use in fabrication of snowboards and the accessories we produce. I look forward to meeting other Shopbot enthusiasts from Colorado and surrounding areas.

Moonhill Woodworks
03-23-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm interested, count me in.

billp
03-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Great ! See you there...

toddho
05-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Just found out about it...I'll be there too

Thanks
Todd

creative_cabinetry
05-13-2013, 08:08 PM
I'm in. Looking forward to it

billp
05-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Barry,
Thanks for the RSVP, be good to catch up with you again...

RichE
05-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Count two more, we'll trek it out from Utah.

billp
05-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Rich,
Thanks for the RSVP. Please drop me a note at- campshopbot@gmail.com with a contact e-mail in the event something comes up regarding the Camp. I'll add the two of you to the list right now...

Dusty Knobel
05-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Just happen to be going from Seattle to a class in Aspen the next day (starts Sunday evening). Would really like to see the Donek swivel knife in person, but travel in Denver looks complicated.

Is there a cheap way to get to the camp from the airport. I can land at 8:50AM Sat. And afterwards thought maybe would take Amtrak to Glenwood then bus to Aspen. So after camp, anyone going toward Aspen/Glenwood or towards the temp Amtrak station downtown Denver or past a bus stop?

Finding out about the camp just today and just cooked this alternate plan up of Amtraking to Glenwood from Denver after the camp, versus just landing in Denver and hopping to Aspen airport without stopping and missing the camp.

Thanks Dusty

billp
05-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Dusty,
If you Google map Sean's address-35907 E 88th Ave, Watkins, CO you'll see that he's 15 minutes away from the Denver airport!
You might contact Sean directly to see if there's a simple way to get from the airport TO the Camp, OR Aspen...I could drop you off at the airport after the Camp if that would help...

donek
05-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Just happen to be going from Seattle to a class in Aspen the next day (starts Sunday evening). Would really like to see the Donek swivel knife in person, but travel in Denver looks complicated.

Is there a cheap way to get to the camp from the airport. I can land at 8:50AM Sat. And afterwards thought maybe would take Amtrak to Glenwood then bus to Aspen. So after camp, anyone going toward Aspen/Glenwood or towards the temp Amtrak station downtown Denver or past a bus stop?

Finding out about the camp just today and just cooked this alternate plan up of Amtraking to Glenwood from Denver after the camp, versus just landing in Denver and hopping to Aspen airport without stopping and missing the camp.

Thanks Dusty

Use a GPS and it is likely to take 45 minutes to get here from the airport. For some reason those things never find the fastest route. Send me an e-mail, and I'll get you a map that will get you here in 15 to 20 minutes. You should be able to catch a shuttle from the airport to Aspen, but I think they run about $100. The hotels by the airport are the closest to our location. I would guess someone will be staying at them, so you might be able to get a ride from one of them. If not, we can likely arrange to pick you up and drop you back off.

Dusty Knobel
05-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. Count me in. Looking forward to attending the camp, spending some time in Denver and taking my first Amtrak trip in years and years. Yahoo!
Dusty

Dusty Knobel
05-16-2013, 10:18 PM
There is no easy way to get to the camp from the airport. Looks like the 22 mile trip could cost over $60 by taxi or renting a car. If anyone going by airport around 9am (flight lands at 8:50AM) a ride would be very appreciated.
Thanks Dusty

billp
05-25-2013, 11:48 AM
In answer to a few recent inquiries the hours of the Camp will be-
8-9AM- Coffee/Doughnuts
9-Noon- Morning sessions
Noon-1 Lunch
1-4PM- Afternoon sessions
If you haven't contacted us yet about your plans to attend, please do so in the next few weeks as the Camp is coming up soon ! Thanks....

cnecreative
05-27-2013, 12:50 PM
I will plan on joining you guys. Looking forward to it.

Eric.

billp
05-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Eric,
Thanks for the RSVP ! See you in Watkins...

jTr
05-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Count me in - looks like a rare occasion to have a camp within a day's drive from my location. Anxious to see the drag knife in use by the master who invented it!

jeff roltgen

billp
05-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Jeff,
You're in! see you in Watkins !

billp
06-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Still getting RSVP e-mails. If you have not yet contacted us, please do so soon, Camp is only a few weeks away!

Tom Smalldon
06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
I will be attending Camp ShopBot Denver
Would like a recommendation of where to stay, maybe where others might be staying.

donek
06-10-2013, 06:03 PM
I will be attending Camp ShopBot Denver
Would like a recommendation of where to stay, maybe where others might be staying.

There is a little motel next to the truck stop in Watkins called the Country Manor Motel (https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=Country+Manor+Motel+watkins,+co&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Country+Manor+Motel&hnear=0x876c5f0ef2dccc6d:0x801af8beeb1ec491,Watkin s,+CO&cid=0,0,9136758034199489085&ei=Gku2UZPHM4mpqgHHjoG4Ag&ved=0CM0BEPwSMAA)

Or there are the Denver Airport Hotels on Tower Rd (https://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=hotels+tower+rd+denver+airport&fb=1&gl=us&hq=hotels+tower+rd+denver+airport&ei=bEu2UdriGYyxrgHFxYHgCA&sqi=2&ved=0CNABELYD)

There are also hotels near Pena Blvd and 40th (https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=Country+Manor+Motel+watkins,+co&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Country+Manor+Motel&hnear=0x876c5f0ef2dccc6d:0x801af8beeb1ec491,Watkin s,+CO&cid=0,0,9136758034199489085&ei=Gku2UZPHM4mpqgHHjoG4Ag&ved=0CM0BEPwSMAA)

There are more chain food choices at the 40th and Pena locations. The Tower Rd locations have quite a few as well as a good 50s diner called the Moonlight Diner. The only places to eat in Watkins are the truck stop or Lulu's. Lulus is pretty good biker bar/country bar type of eating, but it does get smokey. You can cook your own steak at Lulus as well.

billp
06-14-2013, 09:38 AM
For those of you who have been curious about some of Shopbot's latest machines, Randy Johnson will be bringing both a Desktop, and a Handibot to the Camp ! That will mean we'll have both of those tools as well as Sean's drag knife to show you.
One week to go, if you have NOT yet notified us of your intention to attend, please do so in the next few days.

donek
06-24-2013, 09:46 PM
I just finished editing a video from the camp. This video will be used for additional media coverage for our Drag Knife and the new Handibot. Sorry if there's a bit more coverage on these things than you may wish to review. The camp was a lot of fun. I'd like to thank evryone for coming and sharing. Hopefully we'll hold another one at Donek next year.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_B-MoK_OnSM/Ucj1uTtqYmI/AAAAAAAAAFE/f9x4Za_rZ6g/w639-h389-no/camp+shopbot+video.jpg (http://youtu.be/DhfTJZqXCDo)

creative_cabinetry
06-28-2013, 06:42 PM
That was my first Camp, besides the two I hosted. That Camp was incredible! I flew in from AZ to to not only see the Drag Knife , but to open up to other possibilities besides cabinetry. I go an eye opener there. Sean has created incredible processes for making phenomenal snowboards. One thing I was surprised to see, was the quality machining of aluminum parts for the boards. Also impressive, was his ability to do specialty fabrications on his boards for physically impaired athletes. That's like putting the icing on the cake. Thanks for the education on the snowboard building process. The Drag Knife demonstration was better than I could have expected. Bill Palumbo couldn't do this camp due to unforeseen problems and Randy Johnson did a fantastic job leading the Camp. It was a great opportunity to see the Desktop with an indexer, and the new Handibot. Anyway you can tell I liked it. A great bunch of guys and gals showed up and shared some very impressive projects they had created on the shopbot. I could go on, but if this camp comes up again, don't miss it. Looking forward to trying out my new Drag Knife. Well worth the trip, and the bonus was the great sight seeing we did following the camp. Thanks Sean

toddho
03-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Are there plans for another Colorado Camp Shopbot this year?

donek
03-06-2014, 11:12 AM
I've been meaning to call Randy on this. I will try this week, but I am good with hosting it again.

donek
03-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Are there plans for another Colorado Camp Shopbot this year?

It looks like the summer schedule is already full for shopbot. We've been put on the 2015 schedule though.

Camp ShopBot
03-13-2014, 11:01 AM
It looks like the summer schedule is already full for shopbot. We've been put on the 2015 schedule though.

Sorry about this. We'll be back next year in Colorado! So see you then:)