PDA

View Full Version : Right bit for the job

Coogara
02-13-2013, 03:00 PM
I'd appreciate some advice concerning the bits that come with the Desktop starter kit. The use of most of them is pretty obvious: the v-bit, ballnose bits and engraving bit. The 1/2" straight bit 48-014 I will use for leveling the spoilboard.

But what job is the 61-040 1/8" straight O flute useful for and what is the 65-023 1/4" single flute upcut spiral best used for? I figure they will be useful otherwise why include them in the kit :)

I guess part of my confusion (or lack of confidence) comes from knowing that there are different bits that can do the same job. Both 52-200 and 57-200 bits can be used as end mills for profile cuts, but given the materials I'm working with, what should I use. I guess the point is, too, that I don't own those bits, so I want to invest in the best bits for the present jobs so...

In terms of the Onsrud range or the bits in the starter kit, what should I be using for profile/cutout work and what bit for pocketing to produce a clean bottom? I need some idea of the right bit for these tasks in both softwood and hardwood ranging from 3/8" to 7/8" thick. I will mostly be working timbers like Pine, Ash and Merbau at this stage. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Graeme

Brady Watson
02-13-2013, 05:08 PM
The two bits you list are for plastics and soft wood. The 65-series can be used to route aluminum as well.

A solid carbide 2-flute end mill is the bread and butter of general cutting in most materials.

-B

bobmoore
02-13-2013, 08:45 PM
There is a very nice introduction to bits on the forum if you do a search. My advise would be to find a dealer you trust and ask for their advice everytime you start a new material. Not as overwhelming as trying to learn everything all at once. Before long it will make perfect sense.
Bob

Coogara
02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
I had already done a search and found the Google doc. It had a tremendous amount of useful information. I will get off the forum and chat with a dealer then. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Graeme

garyc
02-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Graeme...
Dont be afraid to try the 1/4" single O on hard and especially dense woods. They work really well when you need a slower (under 3 ips) feedrate. I have used them with great success on hard Maple, Ipe, Jatoba, etc.

Simops
02-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Graeme,
I'm no expert (yet :p) but if I want a clean edge on both sides of the piece of wood I'm cutting (eg. ply) I use a down cut spiral for the first 1/4 then change to an upcut for rest of cut through the board. His gives me a splinter free edge on both sides. Of course this is more laborious and you could use a compression bit instead, I believe (get around to getting one one day).

Cheers