PDA

View Full Version : Bread Box for my wife

bbrozo
03-10-2013, 12:58 AM
This is a bread box I made for my wife that was originally based on Michael Tyler's Wheat & Weave Bread Box that he did several years ago for the Carvewright project of the month. I really liked the shape of his bread box (though not a unique shape) and the weave on the side and the front. Of course, as always happens with me, I changed the design some to suit my tastes and needs. The bread box is 19-1/2"W x 16"D x 13"H. I like a spacious bread box that can hold all of the different breads we always seem to have available for myself, wife and grandkids. I used different a different model on the door (from VectorArt3D) along with some other changes. The bread box is maple including a back panel with vents to allow for air flow. I used Miller dowels for securing the top shelf and made the door slightly lower than the top shelf so items could be slid off easily. I think the 45 degree bevel on the front of the top shelf is a nice touch that ties in well with the angle of the door. It was finished with several coats of Tried & True Varnish Oil/Danish Oil (2:1).

I hope you like it and thanks Michael for the inspiration...

Bill

sugarbeatco
03-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Beautiful work sir.

bbrozo
03-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Thank you. It's hard to get too excited about a bread box, but it was fun.

Bill

Brady Watson
03-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Thank you. It's hard to get too excited about a bread box, but it was fun.

Yeah but I bet you saved a lot of dough making it yourself...:rolleyes:

-B

dlcw
03-10-2013, 03:09 PM

-B

Very funny Brady :D:D:D

mtylerfl
03-10-2013, 04:11 PM

I hope you like it and thanks Michael for the inspiration...

Bill

Hi Bill,

That looks great! I really like your customization!

Good news for Aspire owners...after 'tons' of requests, I finally created a bread box as a FREE Aspire project - made possible by ShopBot and Vectric, of course!

The main box shape is practically the same as my original CarveWright design (added a little height for integrated "feet") and interestingly, I decided to model a loaf of bread "scene" very similar to your adaptation!

As usual, Aspire owners can download this Project of the Month (Feb 2013) at no charge. Here is a link to the project files and illustrated instructions:

http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/projects/2013/bread-box.html

bbrozo
03-10-2013, 10:01 PM

-B

What a cut up or, should I say, carve up?

myxpykalix
03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
I used to work in a bakery as a pilot...
yeah i would take the bread from one corner and pile it in another...

I got sick of the dough, so i went on the loaf.... Curly Howard

Now all of you old timers should remember that...

Beautiful Breadbox...I really like the finish....great job:D

bbrozo
03-11-2013, 09:30 AM
I used to work in a bakery as a pilot...
yeah i would take the bread from one corner and pile it in another...

I got sick of the dough, so i went on the loaf.... Curly Howard

Now all of you old timers should remember that...

Beautiful Breadbox...I really like the finish....great job:D

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck...

Thanks. I'm really becoming a fan of the Tried & True finishes.

Bill

Brady Watson
03-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Bill,
I'd like to hear more about the finish. Where did you get it, how many coats etc.

-B

bbrozo
03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Bill,
I'd like to hear more about the finish. Where did you get it, how many coats etc.

-B

You can get it from rockler.com or woodcraft.

This is only the second project I've used it on but really love the silky finish. For the bread box, I put on 3 thin coats. The Varnish Oil is like honey in the can so I thinned it down some using the Danish Oil (2:1). It is important that the shop be around 70 degrees when the piece dries or, like I did, I brought it in the house to dry for 24 hrs. between coats.

When you apply a coat, let it sit for an hour and then, using a soft cloth, wipe off any excess finish. After the first coat, I used #0000 steel wool on the bread box but applied the second and third coats directly after drying.

T&T Varnish Oil is the preferred finish for Christian Becksvoort - a well-known shaker-style furniture maker.

Their web site is http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/.

One other thing I like about applying the finish is that it is solvent-free and you can literally apply it without worrying about wearing gloves. And, it is food-safe.

Bill

Brady Watson
03-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks Bill - finishing is my least favorite part of the operation...so anything that makes the task less painful is of interest :p

I like the fact that it is food-safe. I have used the Watco stuff in the past with decent results.

-B