PDA

View Full Version : should I pull the trigger?

Cameron Tiede
04-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Well I'm trying to figure out if this is the machine for me and If I should pull the trigger. I'd like some advice from desktop owners. I have it narrowed down between a shopbot desktop and a camaster stinger. I have no experience with a CNC but have been doing a lot of reading. I was first interested in the buddy but it really seems like more machine than I need and is more than I'd like to spend. It seems shopbot has better customer service and a more robust online community which I do appreciate.

I am primarily looking to cut small pieces in hardwoods that are any where from a 1/4 inch up to 2 inches in thickness. I'd like to cut veneer as well with a donek tool. How well will this work on a desktop unit? Some of the pieces I plan to cut will be very small.I am concerned with the limited z travel (4 inches correct?) - if I figure this out right it will leave no space for a spoiler board under the piece being cut if My wood is 2 inches thick as I will need 2 inches above for the bit. I want pieces to be cut very smooth and accurate. this may be where the stinger has an advantage as there is an extra inch of z travel.

Are there any advantages with a spindle vs a router besides reduced noise level and longevity? Does it cut any more accurately or quickly?

I am designing much of my work in adobe illustrator and will need to bring it into the machine software is this difficult to do?

Any thoughts from all of you out there would be much appreciated.

jerry_stanek
04-07-2013, 06:31 PM
take a look at the Buffalo Nickel that Ryan did and see the detail. I think you would do good with one

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14701

CNYDWW
04-07-2013, 08:30 PM
All good questions.

The spindle does leave a better result. Things is, what are you going to do with it. 3d carvings? 2d cuts?

The included software imports .AI files dirrectly. Check out Vectric CNC Software. Partworks is the same as Vcarve Pro however will only output code for Shopbot Products. Thus, it is included with the machine.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Cameron Tiede
04-07-2013, 08:36 PM
I will be using it for 2d cuts - primarily to cut out flat shapes. I don't see myself getting into any dimensional carving any time soon. I also intend to to some light shallow surface cuts to do some inlay work with veneer. I really need some clean cuts along the edges of my shapes to reduce sanding etc...

gc3
04-07-2013, 10:00 PM
I will be using it for 2d cuts - primarily to cut out flat shapes. I don't see myself getting into any dimensional carving any time soon. I also intend to to some light shallow surface cuts to do some inlay work with veneer. I really need some clean cuts along the edges of my shapes to reduce sanding etc...

z depth should be plenty for what you plan to cut, however once you get a machine you will be surprised at what you can produce and I bet within a few months you will be doing relief carvings

CNYDWW
04-07-2013, 11:17 PM
For the inlay work alone i would say spindle. You'll have much greater speed control for the fine inlay work.

Regards

tlempicke
04-08-2013, 07:46 AM
When you build a house, buy a building for a workshop, or buy a shopbot one thing is certain to happen in the future. You will wish you had gone bigger.
Another factor is the availability of the unit. The are no desktop units out there and if you find one it will be high priced. The waiting list at Shopbot is several weeks.
I too, started out looking at desktops. I stumbled across a super deal on a like new Buddy BT48. I then added a spindle to it. The whole package is about 2K dollars more than what the desktop would have cost.
Because of the help I got from Shopbot (even though I didn't buy the Buddy from them) has been truly outstanding. The whole experience just about plug and play.
Regarding the spindle. You can just about pay for it out of the money you will save in hearing aids. It increases the utility of the machine far beyond it's cost. When cutting parts that must fit together I usually use about .002 as the "slop" factor.

garyr6
04-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Well, such a choice to have to make. Either will do all you want and then some, spindle is better for lots of reasons. I decided on the desktop, smaller foot print. This is my second CNC...... my partner has a cam master, me a shopbot. :)The debate never ends at happy hour. Welcome to the world of CNC and remember to post that first project.

Hoytbasses
04-09-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm a rookie desktop owner (well, the school I teach at 'technically' owns it:o)

We've had it about a month and a half and have already found a myriad of uses for the machine from chopping mortises, making signs, guitar building (my specialty) and on and on.

we couldn't afford to get into a bigger machine but I envision very quickly being ready to graduate to a 1/2 sheet sized machine. (as does the principal...... so he won't be surprised in a year or two when we submit the purchase order)

Tech support and training at Shop Bot is outstanding and in my limited opinion would be the tipping point in a purchase decision.

the only defect that I have found in my machine is the wingnut in front of the computer keys

Karl Hoyt

twelchPTM
04-09-2013, 06:49 PM
not trying to brag but our shopbot just saved us well over $50,000. It has become an integral part of our day to day operations in the short time we have had it and we aren't even a production facility.

Cameron Tiede
04-09-2013, 09:16 PM
I really appreciate everyones feedback. you have all given me much to think about. I'm not in a rush so I have time to think through. :)