PDA

View Full Version : USB Communications Dropout

bluecollar
04-15-2013, 09:54 AM
I've developed a problem recently with the USB communication dropping out frequently during cuts. It's to the point that things are unusable since I'm having to babysit the tool and restart the job continually.
Symptoms:
1. Yellow screen showing communication dropout. Hit return to exit.
2. Doesn't occur at the same point in a cut. Random in nature.
3. Recovery varies from restarting control software to full PC reboot.
4. Tool typically doesn't know where it's at (default 0,0,1 coordinates). Sometimes it does retain it's actual position.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?
I work within 30 minutes of the SB mothership in Durham, so bringing the controller in isn't a horrible option. Prefer to correct things at home.
steve

PNast
04-16-2013, 01:14 PM
I have had problems with the new software 3.8.4, it happens at random lines. It freezes and the spindle stops turning and the software does nothing, when I hit STOP it loses connection and makes me turn the control box off and back on. Position is then lost, Z is WAY out of position. I have tried everything, recalculated tool paths in Aspire 4 etc. I went back to the old software 3.6.44 and have not had any problems since. It even seems to me that the cut times are 25% faster in the old software. I have a PRSAlpha 96 x 48 single phase spindle. Computer is a new Dell Inspiron 15 Notebook 4 gigs ram and 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i3-3227U processor (3M Cache, 1.9 GHz). All power saving shut down and Nothing but SB software running. Wireless is disabled. I have grounded both X rails, Y and Z just like this post says http://shopbotwiki.com/index.php?title=Grounding_your_ShopBot

Seems to me the new software still needs work, I have not been able to probe anything without it getting stuck as soon as it hits the object I am probing. I have spent days reading and on the phone with tech support and trying different settings. 3.6.44 probes without a single problem. I also mainly do pockets with 3D carvings and raised text.

-Paul

rayman
04-17-2013, 08:09 PM
I can't run it either, keeps losing track as to where it is in the cut and x/y position is gone..anyway somethng I have noticed, I am running AMD dual guad Pro 2.4 GHz and it seems like anyone with a processor larger than 2.7 GHz as no problems running the new software.. anything less and problems arise.....just saying

adrianm
04-18-2013, 04:10 AM
You've updated the firmware on the control box to match the version of the SB3 software you're using?

dan78
04-20-2013, 05:13 AM
hi guys

Just post a bit unclear on another post , I will explain , and try to be a bit more clear here again.

I have done the upgrade of the control software and I have experienced all this problems.

Reading all the posts what I could find for a solution I have started my troubleshouting.

To begin with I have no "Packet_ET" under 20 ...so for correcting this.
I try to figure out how I can bust the speed on USB port--seems to be a bit under-power.

I have to take out from use USB 3 the connection ...was just not going,

Then I have to set up my laptop used like controller to "High Performance" for the battery, and DISABLE the USB ports from the battery management.

I have to re-install the firmware with the UI command, and most of this problem cleared ...I could NEVER see after this a Pachet_ET bigger than 20 , average around 15.

Anyway ...testing to cut again , and again the speed slow ...at less this time without crash , and recover not complete..but finish the job and keep correct the position....I could see the wireless card !!! trying to connect to a network !!!!! ..so ...disable the wireless card, and I have no more problems for the day ...I will keep you updated with my progress please post your experience

I start troubleshooting upgrading my laptop , for all this I have used a
Toshiba CPU Intel 2.20 GHz and 8 GB Mem

Cheers DAN

www.cnc4unz.com

jerry_stanek
04-20-2013, 07:05 AM
I can't run it either, keeps losing track as to where it is in the cut and x/y position is gone..anyway somethng I have noticed, I am running AMD dual guad Pro 2.4 GHz and it seems like anyone with a processor larger than 2.7 GHz as no problems running the new software.. anything less and problems arise.....just saying

If you see my post I ran my PRS standard using a netbook with a 1.6 gig processor and oonly 1 gig of ram. My normal computer is an old HP pentium 4 with 2 gigs of ram and have had no problems. I think it may be more that you have to fast a computer then not fast enough.

dan78
04-21-2013, 03:52 AM
Hi Jerry ,

just read your post , so basic , now because I could see fixed the "Packet ET" problem , and I am sure is related purely to the USB power , what is left is the CPU ...

Are you suggesting we must have a CPU over 2.7 MHz ?

Thanks DAN

PNast
04-21-2013, 09:07 AM
I was on the online training last week and TJ said the new software was designed to not use the powered USB hub. Has anyone tried plugging the USB straight into the computer? I went back to the old software, I have a bunch of orders to get out this week and can't afford to make anymore firewood. Just wondering if the hub could be causing problems.
-Paul

jerry_stanek
04-21-2013, 09:43 AM
What I am saying is that both my computers run the new software on old computer is a single core pentium 4 that runs at 2.7 GHZ and does it very well. I have had a little trouble running it on my dual core laptop but ran it fine on my netbook again a single core

adrianm
04-21-2013, 09:50 AM
I use the hub with 3.8 without problems. No-one mentioned that we shouldn't use the hub during beta testing .....

I use a very low powered desktop computer (INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6400 @ 2.13ghz with 2gb of ram and Windows XP) compared to a lot of people and I get a packet et of 16.4 and no issues at all. Massive improvement over 3.6 for speed and smoothness for me.

Notebooks and laptops have all sorts of power control features. I've used some (for engine tuning rather than CNC) where the only way to fully disable those features was to go into the BIOS settings. Disabling them in Windows wasn't enough.

Personally I would never use one to run a CNC machine although I know people do use them without issues.

rayman
04-21-2013, 03:47 PM
when I was working with Frank (at Shopbot) to correct my problem he told me not to use the hub with the new software....:eek:

rayman
04-21-2013, 03:51 PM
I spent so much time on this a few weeks ago I got way behind on my projects so reinstalled old software and so really no help with the new version. As soon as I get these projects finished hopefully next week will get back and see if I can get it to work.:o

dan78
04-21-2013, 05:06 PM
I am using laptops , and I have no problem with the old software , I am pretty close with the new one.

I think the idea of disabling on the bios the power control software is very good , i will try and let you know, anyway ...if the USB is not managed by power control software I can see packet et coming well under 20 , and the crashes on my case clear with that.

What is still a problem is a slow down...what is some time recovering , but even with that is not losing position anymore , what ever ...when happen few times I could see another processes just starting on the background , like the wireless card search ...I am working on disabling them as well ...

With all the problems, the increase on speed is obvious.

Thanks ;o) DAN

jerry_stanek
04-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Like I said my computer is pretty basic no wireless only one small hard drive onboard video card. stripped of most programs networked without internet

PNast
04-21-2013, 06:56 PM
I have a new laptop with everything deleted except SB software and Aspire. It does have Windows 8, Windows can't even run itself let alone SB software. What operating system are y'all running? I have gone into the universal serial bus controllers in the device manager and turned off the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the power management tab. This has been a major problem for USB ports in windows. It didn't help me but I would check anyway, it may save some headaches. There is a couple of them to disable.
-Paul

dan78
04-22-2013, 05:31 AM
I have a laptop Toshiba 1 year old with Windows 7 home edition CPU Intel 2.20GHz and 8 Gb mem, What I have done step by step Control Pane , > Mobility center > Batery status > High performance , then Change plan settings > Change advance power settings > USB settings > there On battery and Plugged >Disabled, All this can be done on easy way with Adrian suggestion , just disable on the BIOS ...(tested today works perfect and I think is better just disable on bios)

I have tried USB3 and is NOT working !!!!

I have tried with USB switch and makes no difference , with the USB managed by the power settings will fail with or without switch ...basic the switch on USB 2 is optional .

I have disabled and uninstall how much I could and

4 hours + I have used without any problem my Standard system , then after a cut app 25 min long , when the gantry was coming back to home "dink" again and the speed slow , was not losing position and get to the home point ....shut the application , start again , and cut again without problems around 3 hours ....

I can not spot any process on the back ....I think is still something there ..or maybe a buffer what is not clearing ...please post your experience, and ask we may put together a conclusion.

Cheers DAN

PNast
05-27-2013, 11:33 AM
OK, I found out what the problem was. My new Dell laptop has 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports. I did not realize I had the SB plugged into USB 3 so I reinstalled the software and made sure to plug both into the USB 2 ports. Been running 2 weeks now not one single dropout. Everything is working excellent. I am not using hub anymore.

-Paul

PNast
07-24-2013, 08:34 AM
After purchasing a $1400 Super Computer desktop with Windows 7, I reinstalled 3.8.6 and had the same problem. After a bunch of testing with Nate from SB tech support we found the problem. When the spindle freezes and loses communication with the control box, if you look at the line this happened in there will be three J3 commands in a row. It crashes at the middle J3 command. I went in to SB part file edit, select the file and hit Ctrl-F. Then find text J3 and replace with M3 and click replace all. No more problems! I hope this will help until they get this problem fixed in the software. It does slow the cutting time down but at least it finishes with no problems.

Paul