PDA

View Full Version : Bummer

JoeinWestMich
05-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Well, today's delivery of my Buddy BT48 did not go as planned. Despite all the work by the ShopBot team, the delivery service brought the Buddy to me in my residential little cul de sac with a 40 foot trailer. The trailer had a lift gate but the ONE delivery man said the lift gate was so small that he could not get the Buddy off the lift gate and onto the ground. He was an independent who picked up the buddy under the impression this was a business not residential delivery where there would be a dock and a forklift. Plus with his rig so big, he could only put it in the middle of the street IF he could have put it on the ground. So I had to refuse delivery because I had no way of getting this out of the middle of the street and up my 100 foot drive alone. I had planned the delivery would be in the middle of my drive where I could take time to unpack with family coming over in the evening and then wheel it into my garage-shop. Called Martha at ShopBot and like the great folks they are, they are going to get with the shipping company and get this to me as soon as they can. So no pictures today and another several days of wishing it were here!!!

gc3
05-10-2013, 11:00 PM
pobrecito...asi es la vida...:)

Bob Eustace
05-11-2013, 12:35 AM
Joe you might have been OK if you could have slid it to the ground as its a very, very clever box design with a quite sturdy ramp built into one end. Dont be like us though and start madly undoing screws willy nilly! The CORRECT unpacking procedure is in a pouch on the side of the box. We found it after the roof fell in!
Most delivery guys are solo sadly.

jhedlund58
05-11-2013, 07:27 AM
I had the same problem with lift gate on the semi that came to my house on a small cul de sac. Even if the lift gate wood have been large enuff to hold the crate, the lift gate was not rated for weight of container. Shopbot had no way to help, but they refunded my lift gate fee which at the time was about 125 bucks. Driver was laughing his butt off.... until he had to back out of the 1000 foot cul de sac... I got a little chuckle in too.

tlempicke
05-11-2013, 08:05 AM
When I moved my Buddy from Fla. to SC. I found that U Haul had a trailer that was just right for the job. Open with a built in ramp. Couple of different sizes.

zeykr
05-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Flat bed wreckers work well for loading/unloading semi trailers even with full size assembled shopbots. Back it up to the semi trailer and roll onto wrecker, then the wrecker can let it down right at your garage door. Have used them a couple times, usually $50 to $75.

dana_swift
05-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Ken- that solution is GENIUS! I love it.. that would make it easy to move my buddy to another address. (And other things such as vacuum pumps) Great idea- thanks :)

D

larry_k
05-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I and the truck driver unpack it on the truck. he was having fun?
look like he wanted to help put it together to :}

Simops
05-11-2013, 06:35 PM
I have a forklift at home:p:p:p

scottp55
05-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Joe ,I'm sorry to hear that.Know how excited you were.at least you made it home. Scott

cowboy1296
05-12-2013, 08:48 AM
I live in the sticks with a lot of road base that was mostly mud on my delivery day, no way for a truck to get to me. I met the driver at a friendly Ace hardware. Ace loaded it on my trailer for me with their forklift. At home two of dismantled the crate while it sat on the trailer and just rolled it off.

gerryv
05-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Ken, I agree 110%, these wrecker tilt-and-load trucks are great. After moving perhaps a dozen large machines in the last couple of years, that's become the ONLY way I'll move equipment now, selling or buying, even of I have to pay when the other fellow really should. But it's one heck of a deal. Also, it's typically their insurance problem if something goes wrong.

JoeinWestMich
05-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Trucking company said they will bring it tomorrow in a different truck. Will keep my fingers crossed. Found a local supplier of Extira so I have the 1" deck board and the 3/4" spoil board ready. Now just need the Buddy to attach it to. Hopefully will be able to post a pic of the Buddy in the box in the driveway. Wish me luck!

Ajcoholic
05-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Good luck! (drumming my fingers, because I ran my Buddy today at work.. making me more $$ ;) )

AJC

JoeinWestMich
05-18-2013, 12:07 AM
The Buddy arrived this afternoon as promised. This driver brought along a couple of hand trucks and easily got the buddy not only onto my drive but easily into my garage. The picture is with my iPhone so not so good but shows it the garage. Have help lined up for tomorrow to unpack and position. Then a call to the electrician to get the 220 set up. Will hook up the dust collection and put on the deck and spoil board...... then the fun begins.

JoeinWestMich
05-18-2013, 12:10 AM
Oooops.... forgot to attach the picture before hitting submit reply. Here is the "Box"

myxpykalix
05-18-2013, 03:19 AM
What are you going to do with your box? I kept mine covered up an the yard and swore i was going to be buried in it when the time came but the weather got to it before i could put it to good use....thank God!:eek:

dana_swift
05-18-2013, 08:03 AM
Joe- Congratulations! It feels like several Christmases and birthdays all rolled into one. It did for me, I still remember that day for me.

Keep the enthusiasm up, but,.. don't plan to immediately go cutting. You will probably have to mount the router or spindle. Then on a couple housekeeping things, get the computer hooked up and communicating with the bot. Check the router/spindle for square. It doesn't need to be perfect, but the better it is, the flatter your spoilboard will be when you surface it. That will be one of the first cuts you make.

Check that the axes are square. My buddy "contents settled" during shipment. It came assembled, but out of alignment. There are instructions in the book, but basically set it up to cut 4 very shallow holes in the corner of a square. Check the diagonal distances. Are they equal?

You will get to practice setting zero XY and zero Z just to do that operation. When it is aligned so the gantry is 90 degrees from the table motion, then surface the spoilboard.

And finally.. its Christmas time! A whole new phase of your life has just started- :)

Congratulations again, and now you have a story to tell about getting it off the truck! Shortly the stories will all be about the cool things you made with it :)

D

Simops
05-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Joe....make sure you check your spindle / router is plumb to the deck in Z.
Don't assume that mounting your spindle to the mounting plate means it is ( which I did). The factory assumes you will do the final fine adjustment your end.
As Dana says check your axii are square and when you surface the spoilboard that you do not get any ridges that hook your finger nail.
Have fun!:D