PDA

View Full Version : Colby College, ME Camp Shopbot !

billp
05-15-2013, 03:30 PM
On Saturday, July 13th we will be holding a Camp Shopbot in the Strider Theater on the campus of Colby College, in Waterville, ME. Our host will be John Ervin who has been using his machine to develop theatrical scenery, and props for numerous college productions.
It's a great time to be in Maine, and we'll be open to any suggestions attendees have regarding the agenda. Keep an eye on this thread for more info in the next few weeks. You can contact me with RSVP's, and questions at-
campshopbot@gmail.com

scottp55
06-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Bill, My father and I will try to attend, but there are health issues that could throw a spanner in the works right up till the last day. Do we have to register? are there fees involved? What machine do they have? Will follow this thread and keep you updated. Thanks scott

billp
06-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Scott,
We'll be sending out the "invitation" e-mail next week, but I will put the two of you on the list with an asterisk. As with all Camps there is NO charge to attend. I'll let our host,John Ervin chime in with info on the machine they are using at Colby. Please keep an eye on this thread for info and updates. Hope the two of you can make it !

billp
06-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Here are a few links which should give you info, and directions to the Camp. The first is a link to info on Colby College, while the second will show you where the Runnals Building, Home of the Strider theater is.

http://www.colby.edu/college_cs/visitor_center/directions.cfm

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Colby+College+strider+theater&ie=UTF-8&ei=h9yTUaeJDZXl4APJ0oHQCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

scottp55
06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Bill, I'm a para in a wheelchair,and I just ass-umed Colby is ADA compliant, but who would I contact up there to make sure I can get into their shop. Thanks and looking forward to my first. Scott

billp
06-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Scott,
Let me see if John can't sort that out for us. I'll get back to you as soon as I have the info. If you'll send your e-mail address directly to- campshopbot@gmail.com we can work out the details...

scottp55
06-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Bill, caught a virus this am from my sisters hacked computer(it is cleaned up)but it messed up my mail program so have to send it this way. scottkport@gmail.com

billp
06-05-2013, 02:36 PM
OK, as soon as I have any pertinent info I'll pass it along to you..

billp
06-14-2013, 09:45 AM
"Announcement e-mails"about the Camp have gone out to those in the geographic region surrounding Colby. If you haven't received one in the next few days drop me a note at- campshopbot "at" gmail.com and I'll send it out to you.
We'll have a vacuum system to play with, a Desktop machine, and a Handibot at the Camp for you to learn about.
And we're still open to suggestions regarding topics you are interested in to fill out the agenda. You can use the address above for your thoughts on that.

bcondon
06-18-2013, 08:58 AM
I would like to understand why a "should" update my control software.

My system is a 2006 alpha and provides me pleasure every day I use it.

My matra is the well know saying... If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

But am I missing something? I do 2D, 2.5 D and some 3D work with Aspire...

Thanks Bill

I will come form my Camp in Dover Foxcroft Maine to your Shopbot camp at Colby!

Thanks

Bob Condon

billp
06-18-2013, 01:43 PM
I'd agree with you Bob, unless a newer version offered options you needed, but didn't have, for the work you were planning on.
We'll see you at Colby...

jdervin
06-21-2013, 09:30 PM
What machine do they have?

We've got a PRS Standard 48x48 (2007 model) with spindle.
Accessories include: Indexer, Probe, Widgetworks Cutters, and Regenerative Blower Vacuum Holddown.

jdervin
06-21-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm a para in a wheelchair,and I just ass-umed Colby is ADA compliant, but who would I contact up there to make sure I can get into their shop.

The wheelchair access shouldn't be a problem, though I've got to admit that our ADA compliance isn't exactly ideal. Depending on how many we number, we'll either be in the theater or one of the classrooms when we're not in the shop. All of these places have level-grade (or slightly ramped) entry for wheelchairs, but going between the shop and most of the rest of the building requires going outside and around the building (not very far). I might be able to set up seating and video in the shop to make things easier for you.

Adjacent to the building, there's only one wheelchair parking space. I'll try to get campus security to reserve it for you.

If you have other needs, send me a PM.

billp
06-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Good response for this one so far, so please keep us posted if you also plan to attend. As some of you may have seen from Sean's video of the Denver Camp we'll have the Desktop, and Handibot running, as well as a demo of a vacuum system that is simple, and very effective for ALL size machines...
Along with the above hardware demos I have also had requests to cover the "slicing" process for doing large projects in 3D, and a rundown on some exterior coating systems so I'll bring some of the Sculpt Nouveau products for people to play with too. If you have any specific interests, please drop us a note at- campshopbot@gmail.com Thanks!

billp
07-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Just a quick reminder to those planning on attending; if you can, bring something you have made on your Shopbot for the Show and tell session. it's always a great chance for all of us to learn HOW things get made....
And if you haven't notified us about your plans to attend yet , NOW would be a great time....Thanks!

billp
07-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Camp schedule:
8-9 AM Coffee/doughnuts/greet meet/eat
9-Noon AM sessions
Noon-1 Lunch
1-4 PM sessions

jdervin
07-10-2013, 11:06 PM
I spoke with campus security today, and they suggested that there are going to be a large number of people on campus this Saturday. For parking, try using the "Mary Low" or "Lunder" lots. If you're really lucky, there are a few precious parking spaces adjacent to the Runnals/Strider Theater building. In general though, parking in any student parking lot should be fine.

Gallowhill
07-11-2013, 07:44 AM
I will be there saturday. This year it's alot closer to my town. Last year was awesome and learned alot at the camp.

billp
07-12-2013, 03:10 PM
We will have signs in front of the Runnals building,( it has beautiful white columns at the top of the stars)and the Camp is located IN the Strider Theater which is INSIDE Runnals. If you get there early enough you might get a parking place behind the building, which would be the closest place to park.:cool:

billp
07-15-2013, 03:30 PM
MANY thanks to John Ervin who hosted this Camp in what was an absolutely beautiful venue. We had our own theater....I'll get the blog posted in a few hours...

billp
07-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Blog's up- http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php/2013/07/2013-summer-camp-at-colby-college-waterville-me/

WMNH
07-16-2013, 09:18 AM
A big thanks to Bill and John for putting this all together. It was well worth the 6 hour round trip drive to get there. Lots of great information, I am already looking forward to the next camp I can attend.

Thanks Again,
Geoff