PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Flag Case

twelchPTM
06-07-2013, 10:32 AM
We recently laid my father in law to rest, He was a Marine and his eldest was presented with his flag. I was asked if I could build the case for it but have never done one before. I imagine there is a standard for the sizing and if anyone knows what that is, please enlighten me. Also should it be finished inside or is it better to leave the wood raw? If it should be finished, what finish could I use without risking degredation to the flag?

Any input or advice would be apreciated, My father-in-law was a great man and loved my work(even when I didn't) and I don't want to mess this up.

steve_g
06-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Here's one mans ideas and more important... measurements!
http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Flag-Display-Case (http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Flag-Display-Case)

Truth be told, you can buy one cheaper than you can make it... But I understand the sentimental desire to make it.

SG

blackhawk
06-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Thomas - My father was also a Marine. He fought in WWII at Iwo Jima. I just recently built a flag case for his flag. I got my plans out of a recent issue of Woodsmith magazine. I will look tonight and see which issue that it was in. It was fairly recent, maybe within the past 6-8 months. I finished mine inside and out with polyurethane. I never thought about it, but I think that as long as you use any type of finish that hardens, you should be OK.

When they folded your father-in-laws flag, did it end up with 4 stars showing? I have heard that this is how a display flag should end up. I have mine folded now with 4 stars, although slightly crooked. I have one star at the peak and then 3 stars along the bottom edge.

srwtlc
06-07-2013, 11:00 AM
WOOD magazine had a nice simple one that was easy to make in issue 144 (Oct. 2002).

http://www.woodstore.net/flagcase.html

You can add a base if desired for an engraved plate, etc.

twelchPTM
06-07-2013, 12:55 PM
I have a design in mind that is unlike anything you can buy OTS, but my google results give me two different measurments for the same size flag.
And yes there are four stars (the marines they sent were a little green and actually had a trouble getting it right but would not settle for "good enough")

twelchPTM
06-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Also, I hate to sound like a begger but if anyone has a good marine corps emblem I could use I would appreciate it.

JoeinWestMich
06-07-2013, 07:14 PM
The flag case is a project on my "short" list to do. One other thing to consider is to engrave the name of person the flag is for along with the insignia/emblem of his/her service branch in the glass cover. TJ Christiansen demonstrated engraving a glass mirror at the May basic training course for Shopbot. Using the diamond drag bit made a design that looked even better and more intricate that etching or sand blasting the glass. Thought I would add this to the thread in case someone might want to do this. If/when I do this myself, I will post.

blackhawk
06-08-2013, 09:03 AM
The Woodsmith magazine with the flag case is in Volume 34, number 201.