PDA

View Full Version : Contract manufacturing with MFG

nick
07-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Looking to get into contract woodworking. Has anybody used MFG.com. Good / bad / profitable experiences.

Also...will PW be good enough or is visual mill needed for this type of work.

If not...what software are you using???

Thanks in advance.

jhicks
07-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Nick, I investigated a while ago and continue to receive weekly e-mails with open RFQ's etc. Unfortunately I have never seen anything I was interested in or could do as it seems geared toward machinists, steel, metal fab, metal turnings, lazer & plasma cutting.
The old plan as a subscription service (They must have changed since they mail me free updates?)just didn't make sense to me but you should be able to monitor and receive e-mails to see what they send out.

steve4460
07-17-2007, 09:32 PM
For $2000.00 non refundable , non cancelable Membership fee you would expect to make that back in no time , but not once you sign on the doted line your on the hook for the whole amount and then some . there is nothing on there a bot owner can use .
Ust my 2 cents.

bot on and steer clear of that one .

Brady Watson
07-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Just get the machine, and let it be known that you do CNC routing, with plenty of samples, examples etc of your work. You'll be busy in no time & won't have a need for that type of advertising.

-B

fleinbach
07-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Ahhh! So that's how its done

harryball
07-18-2007, 04:02 PM
If it fits your business plan, find niches and fill needs. Horse loving people love stall plaques with their names on them, make samples like Brady said and put your contact info on the back. If you can find a niche you love as well, that's even better.

If your goal is business to business like sign shops, again, make samples and get them out there.

Another good place to leave samples and business cards is lumber supply. I use to get a decent amount of business that way, I put on my card "I can cut circles! Have CNC, will cut". I'd get builders that wanted arcs and circles cut for various projects. I don't do that stuff anymore, but if you get out there you'll be beating them off your doorstep before too long. BE PREPARED to give prices though, you'll quote 4 or 5 jobs to every one you get on a good day.

Robert