PDA

View Full Version : Wine

genek
07-01-2013, 09:22 PM
One of my biggest customers in the wine industry called and asked me to design a display for their wine. Their wine is going to be sold by a local grocery chain and they wanted a unique display.. Will post pictures of it when I get it stained and finished. I will put this design in the next volume...

There are so many things that one can make with the shop bot to supply the wine industry, wine scene, clocks, wine barrel tops for tables and many more. VECTOR ART 3/D HAS MANY GREAT GRAPE SCENES AND OTHER SCENES TO USE.

I know it is hard sometimes to come up with the wine barrel tops, however you can make your own barrel top. Out of white oak.. I will do some research to see what the bevel is on the edges of the barrels are (unless someone else knows and will share with us.)

Team up with a local blacksmith or welding shop.. Have them to make the table legs out of iron or make one out of wood yourself. One of the projects I do for my wine people is make wine barrel checker and chess boards for them.. Normally they send me new tops (easy to work with) I glue them up, inlay the checker or chess board. And send it back at a good profit.

The cnc router is a very versatile tool. Use your imagination come up with things to make money using your shop bot..
The cabinet guys could go after the wine companies and the serious wine users.. Building wine cellar's or wine cabinets.

ssflyer
07-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Eugene,

Living in the Napa Valley, I get a lot of these. The biggest issue I have with a real barrel head is that they are doweled - cut too deep and you can see the dowel. I have made several from white oak. I have more control, etc., but sometimes the customer want that "old barrel" look, or simply wants a real barrel for their piece. I can check the bevel angle when I get back to my shop, but it seems to vary a bit, depending on manufacturer and age - i.e. I have a few really old hand made barrels for special items.

BTW, I use the staves and iron rings for the legs, if I'm doing a table...

ssflyer
07-01-2013, 10:13 PM
The staves are interesting to carve, as they have a compound curve. I model them, then project to model. I've uploaded a few examples of various techniques...

genek
07-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Another thing my customer wanted was that the display be able to flat pack for shipping..i think i came up with a good way to make it in a way to come apart but still look good and no hardware visible. I have ordered some buttons that have threads in them.

genek
07-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Ron those are great thanks for sharing. I sent you a private message.. Think you will like what i want to send to you.

genek
07-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Ron just sent you the plans ...look it over and let me know what you think.. Have not shown it to my customer yet.. Will do so this weekend.

But you work with the big boys there you know their taste/

thanks

genek
07-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Here is a wine display that a customer asked me to design. That I was talking about. They wanted it to be able to come apart easy and flat pack,

They approved the design before I left on vacation. This pattern will be in volume 2 and in the wine patterns cd also.

Easy to put together and take apart.