PDA

View Full Version : Productive 4th of July

terryjones
07-09-2013, 11:54 PM
I have been upgrading my RV, Keystone Montana 5th wheel. I have completed some upgrades in the past which was posted some time ago. Latest upgrade is a new queen size headboard to replace the padded material headboard. Have been working in Aspire 4 which is awesome. Melded two 3D files to make the headboard insert. The material is birch ply for the backer, then pocketed with .5 and .25 two flute plunge bit to a depth of 0.1875 for the carved insert. Pocketed the sides for the posts. The insert and posts are African Mahogany. Roughing is .5 two flute plunge bit, Finishing of the insert and texture of the bedposts are done with a .25 ballnose.

terryjones
07-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Few more photos.

The last picture is the test fit tonight. Looks like it fits. Still have some finish sanding. Planning to stain the birch ply in red mahogany. I then plan to clear coat the insert and post with satin hi-build lacquer without any stain applied to the African Mahogany.

myxpykalix
07-10-2013, 02:05 AM
Very Nice Terry. This looks like a nice "ride" you got there. I guess it beats pitching a tent, huh?:eek:

terryjones
07-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Jack,
Thank you for your kindness. Yes as a senior, I don't like roughing it anymore. Spent 10 years in Scouting with my boys with backpacking and tents. Been there done that.

jTr
07-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Very nicely done - I better not let my wife see this, or I'll be working on my camper all winter!!

Jeff

terryjones
07-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Jeff,
Appreciate your comment. Planning to do the finish sanding this weekend and maybe start finishing. It is suppose to be over 100 degrees this weekend. We will see how long I can last without dripping away.

terryjones
07-18-2013, 10:03 PM
We have completed and installed the headboard last night. My wife absolutely loves this. Finish on the headboard base is Minwax English Chestnut with Tung Oil hand rubbed x 2 coats. The Carving is Tung Oil only hand rubbed x 2 coats. Then buffed with cotton cloth to a satin sheen. The headboard rests on the box frame of the bed in the RV. Then to attach the upper part of the headboard to the wall, I affixed two 3M Command hangers which really secured the headboard to wall.

bleeth
07-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Terry: it looks fabulous. Only one problem. One thing always leads to another. Time to get some better looking light sconces!

terryjones
07-19-2013, 12:16 AM
Dave,
Thank you for your assessment. I think you are right about the sconces. There are about 12 billion styles to choose from. This may take awhile.

gc3
07-19-2013, 08:16 AM
well done!!

bleeth
07-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Allow me to rephrase:
Time to MAKE some better looking light sconces :D

myxpykalix
07-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Terry,
As long as you have a few hundred botters here to give you advice on your sconces (me being one of them:D),you should take advantage of that. You might look up some designs for rosettes (tons of free ones out there) you could make something that covered that square part attached to the wall....
After all the collective experience of all of us "old farts" has to cover several hundred years!:eek:

terryjones
07-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Jack,
I have not thought of covering the plate. Great idea. looking at the the sconce, it is assembled with thread and nut from the base to arm. I really like that idea. Well let see what I can come up with.

Thanks again Jack

myxpykalix
07-20-2013, 12:03 AM
start here: http://archive3d.net/?category=445 :D