PDA

View Full Version : How tall is a 'Bot with a spindle?

johnm
11-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Folks -

Well, in spite of the putty-butts at the freight company, our new 'Bot arrives tomorrow. The shop isn't quite ready yet, so we are going to set it up in the garage until we finish the shop interior.

My question, is how tall is a 'bot with a standard table and a spindle? It looks taller than the setup with a router? How high is the arch of the umbilical? We have a garage door opener and are hoping that we aren't going to get into any clearance trouble with the gantry or the arch. I have 7' under the lowest part of the garage door opener motor, and it is 8' from the wall. We are getting a 60"x96" 'bot with a 3hp spindle.

My Father in Law is making the table, but we'd rather not make the table lower than standard if we can avoid it, since the machine will be in the shop within the next few months.

Gentlemen, grab your tape measures!

Thanks in advance...

John Moorhead

paco
11-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi John!

I'd say 5'-6" with the wire guide down (top of the Z while up)... when fully retracted, the SB wire guide can get quite high. I was limit as regarding height, so I designed another on wich is more like what can be seen on other machine... but it does'nt cost me much than some material leftover; plywood (for shelf/support) and UHMW (for flexible guide). So, in my case, my too is about 5'-6"... but it's 6" higher than the SB plans (legs welded under the sides).

andyb
11-06-2005, 10:12 PM
John,
My bot is in my garage with a standard size 2 car door opening. I have a welded table that a friend built for me, it is a little taller than the table from ShopBot. I have a 5hp spindle and is would fit through the garage door without a problem and I have a garage door installed also. I'd just have to hold down the wire guide to get it out. And have several friends over. It is heavy.

Andy B.

Brady Watson
11-06-2005, 11:01 PM
John,
It is the same overall height as one with a standard router.

-Brady