PDA

View Full Version : Sleepless Nights

donek
07-21-2013, 05:31 PM
This should maybe go in the techniques section, but I'm a bit too proud of it.

This is a product of one of those 2:00am head scratchers that keeps me awake for half the night. Custom printing on boxes is pricey. A few months ago started thinking about how to use the CNC to make a large stamp for printing our logo on shipping boxes. The answer hit me in the middle of the night after making foam toys for the kids.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1eBC8-eJU60/UexR4AqhPNI/AAAAAAAAAH4/iehNj6lCqNQ/w640-h390-no/SP32-20130721-152316.jpg (http://youtu.be/i1xtZcFKQKQ)

Some of you may be asking about the machine I am using in this video. As a large number of my customers run machines on Mach3 and G-code, I felt it would be wise to become more familiar with Mach3 and G-code. I purchased a small hobby machine and have been using it to create demo videos for the drag knife. The Shopbots are still going strong in the snowboard shop.

kurt_rose
07-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Very innovative! I know about those sleepless nights you speak of as well as when the light bulb that comes on in the middle of the night where you can't wait to get back into the shop to see if it pans out. Once you start thinking in CNC your never the same. It's a curse and a blessing at the same time! LOL!!!!:D

shilala
07-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Wicked cool. Works as good as it looks, too!!!

myxpykalix
07-23-2013, 03:49 PM
This is one of those things that you say..."now why didn't I think of that!":eek:

Now here's an idea for you....why not make a flat version of your stamp, devise a clamp to hold it on your carriage and make a toolpath to go pickup ink then stamp down on the box.

BTW-where are you buying the ink and how much is it costing you? You think the price of gas is high? Ink prices is the biggest scam going. My mom used to buy what looked like a small cup full of ink for her fountain pen many many years ago for a few dollars. Now based on the prices nowadays that jar of ink would be worth several hundred dollars!

donek
07-23-2013, 04:59 PM
This is one of those things that you say..."now why didn't I think of that!":eek:

Now here's an idea for you....why not make a flat version of your stamp, devise a clamp to hold it on your carriage and make a toolpath to go pickup ink then stamp down on the box.

BTW-where are you buying the ink and how much is it costing you? You think the price of gas is high? Ink prices is the biggest scam going. My mom used to buy what looked like a small cup full of ink for her fountain pen many many years ago for a few dollars. Now based on the prices nowadays that jar of ink would be worth several hundred dollars!

I used latex paint. Home Depot has little half pint jars of oops paint for $0.50. One jar did more than 100 boxes.

Brady Watson
07-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Very nice! :D

Some of the best ideas come from insomnia...

-B

myxpykalix
07-24-2013, 12:52 AM
One thing i do is have a little micro recorder on the bedside table and when i wake up and have to remind myself to do something the next day or think of some idea, i just make a short recording.

Some of my best ideas actually come to me in the shower...i just need to invent some waterproof paper and pencil:eek:

donek
07-24-2013, 05:54 PM
One thing i do is have a little micro recorder on the bedside table and when i wake up and have to remind myself to do something the next day or think of some idea, i just make a short recording.

Some of my best ideas actually come to me in the shower...i just need to invent some waterproof paper and pencil:eek:

I recently added google docs to my cell phone. My top doc is my list of things I need to do and random crazy ideas. I've been known to add things at 2:00am as well.

All my best ideas come in the shower as well. It's my best think tank.

bleeth
07-24-2013, 06:32 PM
My best ideas used to come in the shower, but I'm getting too old to remember what they were. :eek:

Simops
07-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Yep used do a lot of thinking in the shower until the drought hit then they built a mega (read expensive) desalination plant which sent water prices sky high.....now the drought is over, the desal plant sits idle........my 20 minute 'thinking' shower is now down to 5 min......not enough time for inspiration:mad:

Cheers

Simops
07-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Custom printing on boxes is pricey. A few months ago started thinking about how to use the CNC to make a large stamp for printing our logo on shipping boxes.

Sean.....just wandering why you went the 'big' stamp method to label your boxes.....I use stencils and a spray can of black matt etch paint (dries in a few secs).......see the crates I ship attached. The stencils are CNC cut out of alluminium but can see how a drag knife would be easier to use to make stencils out of a cheaper composite material....as eventually the stencil needs replacing.

Cheers

donek
07-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Sean.....just wandering why you went the 'big' stamp method to label your boxes.....I use stencils and a spray can of black matt etch paint (dries in a few secs).......see the crates I ship attached. The stencils are CNC cut out of alluminium but can see how a drag knife would be easier to use to make stencils out of a cheaper composite material....as eventually the stencil needs replacing.

Cheers

Spray paint is far more costly. The fumes are nasty. While the coverage may be more consistent, the overspray is a problem and you don't get sharp clean edges. I printed 100 boxes in about 45 minutes by myself with a very poor work flow. I think I'd struggle to do that with a spray can and stencil. With an assistant and not having to walk 80 feet to collect bundles of boxes, I would guess I could do the same job in 15 to 20 minutes next time.

Simops
07-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Ok yes I can see your point if doing 100s of boxes.....I only do a few big crates! I usually fork them out and label before pick up ( unless its raining)....

scottp55
07-25-2013, 06:35 AM
William Teller was talking to Einstein at a get-together once and while they were talking he paused and whipped out a small notebook and jotted something down as he was putting it away he said " Excuse me, I find it very useful to write down my good ideas immediately so I don't forget them, you should try it.". Einstein thought for a second and then said " I don't think it would work for me. I've only had one or two good ideas."

khaos
07-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Sweet Idea! Love the crisp edges.