PDA

View Full Version : SB Shipping/Unloading/Power Filters

johnm
10-09-2005, 01:28 PM
Folks -

Well, we're in! We've ordered a 5 x 8' SB with a 3hp spindle and it should arrive about the middle of November - YIPEEEEE!!!!

Now reality is starting to creep in along the edges - I've used duct tape to try to keep it out, but it just keeps c-r-e-e-p-i-n-g in...

When the 'Bot arrives, how big is the damn box? Am I going to need a forklift to get it off of the truck or is it something that can be opened and the components then removed? If it's something that I can do with a couple of strong backs and some beer, good, but if I need a forklift, that's something I need to know.

Rose and I are very excited at getting the 'Bot up and running. We are going to use her laptop to run it, and get a new desktop system with more memory for her work - 1GB of RAM should speed things up. The advantage with using her old laptop is that we will then have redundancy with the software in case of any snafus. Not that something like that could ever happen - since we run MS XP and Explorer....

We are going to have UPS's on both computers, but I was wondering - what about the steppers and the spindle? The spindle is 220v - what should I do on this one for filtering or spikes? We don't get alot of lightening or power outages, but it only has to happen once, right?

I'd appreciate any input and remarks on set up that you would all care to share... We are going with a locally fabbed up steel table with a recess for an indexer (Read: HF Lathe) like Wayne Locke has (about halfway down here: http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/27/8747.html?1128196538 )

We aren't going to have a stepper on the indexer yet, but will be able to do standard spindles and columns.

Any takers?

John Moorhead
Lakeport

mikejohn
10-10-2005, 12:53 AM
John
We all know how you feel.
And it gets better

I remember beeing close to tears when I was first able to make my shopbot move about.
(I've been close to tears many times since, normally when I have done something stupid).
With an accurate assembly, I doubt you will have any problems with your machine. If there are weak points it appears to be in communications between controller and bot,blown drivers, or overheating cabinets. All these problems have been addressed and cured by folks on this forum.
The box is big and heavy.
If you have room and time, and a couple of pairs of extra hands, you can take it out of the box in situ on the vehicle.
Take about 15 minutes I guess. Powered screwdriver to remove all those screws though.
If you can organise a forklift, that would be the prefered route.
Give yourself time with getting the set up right, you will appreciate it in the long run.
Expect to take some time getting to grips with the beast.
I've only had mine 6 months, and now most things are second nature. But I always try to make sure I know what the bot is going to do before I hit the start button.
When it arrives, do not hesitate to ask all the questions you want during assembly. Many here will be delighted to assist.
...............Mike