PDA

View Full Version : KD Concrete counter top

kevin
09-08-2013, 08:05 AM
This is what I've been working on it takes about 3 day to make the form I'll post more pictures as I start to grind .Were also in a mall displaying are good and handing out card .What I haven't figured out is my customer base is 1 in 20 or 1 250 looking for a kitchen

I love sign work but business owners here are stupid cheap hard sell

Furniture would love to make there no appreciation or that it will go up in value over time .SO its built in for me

I will answer any question on concrete for someone starting out .If your trying to do it as hobby or saving money hire a pro there a lot of thing that can go wrong

Picture below at the mall the mall is only temporary

http://www.kdunphy.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KevinDunphyCustomWoodworking

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1147622_516145108483131_1779021150_o.jpg

kevin
10-08-2013, 06:55 PM
I finished polishing it was a mess and time consuming
If you look at the time line it takes a month and carefully planing .I'm pleased with results of the island
I wanted to show its a long job
All cabinets made on the bot

scottp55
10-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Kevin, It came out beautiful. What did you use for aggregate and psi. I especially like the verticals with no voids (vibratory head? or just beat the heck out of it with a mallet) Don't imagine you bought a drum of mold release oil, what did you use? Slump? stealth fiber? Did you use any "shake and bake" hardener on the countertop? Yes, not instant gratification but it's not going anywhere. :)

scottp55
10-09-2013, 08:04 AM
P.S. Easy to see where your foot traffic was on the floor, they like your "calendar and compass rose "foam?". Never had the money for the ferry in my hitchhiking days, always wished I had, But Cape Breton kept me busy enough as my Great Gran was from Baddeck.

kurt_rose
10-09-2013, 08:06 AM
I've been doing these for a while now and really enjoy them. Home Depot sells a 5000 mix that has an aggregate in it that goes with just about any color. It's endorsed right on the bag by Cheng Concrete. It's a blue bag.

kevin
10-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Scott to answer your questions
the psi is low at about 3500 its hard to polish on site so i need extra time not to be to hard

We have vibrator dewalt battery powered there where some big voids but i played with different colors to get the vain result plus there was a lump that had no stain. I'am trying to get it perfect but what you can't control makes for interesting results
Mold release used none i used Melamie for the side but had backup with plywood the form took 2 days to make

scottp55
10-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks Kevin, better 2 days on the mold, than a blow-out,deformation or a leaky mold. Battery powered? Times have changed, I used to sling our 8' (never mind what we called it) over my shoulder and it was tricky to get no voids, no settling of aggregate on interior walls especially if the site was unheated and we had to add Cal and it started to kick. Their doing amazing things with 'crete nowadays. Used the Sonneborn shake and bake dye/hardener to raise my floor psi to 7000 for the top 1/8" power troweled it in (cant power trowel to final finish as the heat causes it to "zebra stripe" and managed to hit it with steel 3 times before it kicked(2200 sf not bad). They had a matching color/wax overcoat to cover color inconsistencies. 19 years now and it's still Frank Lloyd Wrights (Usonian Red) Same company and color he used, no fading and not much affects it except fingernail polish remover(don't ask) the kids love it for roller-blading, tough stuff,never had a chip deep enough to show 'crete wonder how it would do for counters? Rambling. Good work. scott

kevin
11-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Finally finished if you look at the time it took 4 months that's normal for pour on site
The client is happy

kevin
11-22-2013, 07:19 PM
getting trouble to post pictures

kevin
11-22-2013, 07:22 PM
But I had more then one job this kitchen was old world

MogulTx
11-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Kevin,

Are you running an indexer to do that column work, or are you doing milling on multiple sides- or what?

BEAU-TI-FUL work. Absolutely fantastic!
Monty

kevin
11-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Indexing head thanks

bleeth
11-22-2013, 08:43 PM
"Old World" is absolutely outrageous Kevin. It is great when a client will spend the bucks to let us show our best. Make sure you get back there at the right time to take some "special" photo's. You could win some awards with that one.
Fan-f-----ing-tastic!!!

gene
11-22-2013, 10:49 PM
absolutely beautiful !

scottp55
11-23-2013, 04:56 AM
Kevin, Beautiful job with the wood on the second one,You did it justice. Local wood or ferry? good work.

kevin
11-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the compliments I wanted to show in the old world kitchen I only used 2 carving but I tried to put them in dead area of the kitchen to get the most visual interest

It was one of the reason I wanted the bot to add carvings I thought 20 years ago no way I would never be able to add carvings .If it wasn't for this form I would have no glue how to do carving there a lot of good information in old posts

Scott it was shipped in Birth I asked my door supplier to give me the most figured or busy I think It gives a more older look the wood is alive .All the kitchen guys want straight no grain wood paint the satin on.
Local Birch or Atlantic Birch has no grain looks like pine very easy to warp I stay away from local