PDA

View Full Version : Flower and Ceramic shops

genek
09-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Had a ceramic shop come by my home this weekend wanting to place a large order (150 different shapes.) I have been cutting letters for a flower shop to make door wreaths from for several years, The ceramic shop came by because she can no longer keep up cutting the shapes out with a jig saw. Her orders have grown beyond hand held tools. This may be a place to go to show the ceramic and flower shops what you can do. Here are two pictures that she sent me so that I could better understand what she is doing.

genek
09-15-2013, 08:48 PM
By the way these are Picture Frames and other items.. You may want to have some of these made to allow the grandchildren to glue things to them etc.

Part of my ideas come from being in a artist association listening to trends and suggestions, some like this one came from what a customer wanted. I see many uses for products such as these, and I will work at coming up with other uses other than what she will be using them for.
Like coasters, trivets etc.

myxpykalix
09-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Hi Eugene,
Did you get my last email? (a couple days ago in ref to your PM?)

Let me ask a dumb question about your pictures. What you did was to cut the shapes out of the peace sign, ect that she then glues her ceramic pieces onto right? What material would you be cutting, plywood? What would you charge per piece to do that?

genek
09-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Jack did not get the message. I will be cutting them out of 1/4 baltic birch. I have not set a price yet. she has not confirmed the size she wants. I will be charging at least 4,000% markup. I have the design done, according to Aspire it will take a minute and a half to cut the 12 inch size..I can get 18 per sheet. rough guess around 25.00 each The flower shops are paying $15.00 per letter. for letters 12 inches tall. On the letters I use what is called sandy ply. I pay around 7.50 for a 4 x8 sheet. The letters cut out in one pass. Maybe a minute in each letter. I normally get 27 letter per sheet. so 27 x 15.00 is $405.00 for about a hour's work,

Jack that is something I do not do is work for free.. I get my price or they can find someone else. I have sort of a captive group. the closest cnc to me is 3 hours away one way.

myxpykalix
09-16-2013, 02:46 AM
check your eking1953@tgdesigns.net email address i'll send it again

myxpykalix
09-16-2013, 02:55 AM
Just so i understand....that 12" tall peace sign for you to cut out (including the cost of the material) would be around $25.00?:confused:
I guess I didn't realize there was a market for something like that with that type of markup. I must be in the wrong business! Good for you:D

So the person you sell it to then takes it and glues the ceramic on and what do they sell it for?
Some times you amaze me....that's a good thing:p

scottp55
09-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Eugene,My best friends daughter(15 now) had her 13'th birthday party at my house, and every single gift had the peace sign in it. Waste basket,body pillow, phone cover you name it. the pic on the right was the color scheme the girls loved. Now I know how to do a bedroom door name sign for her for Christmas, Still seeing peace signs on her facebook friends pages so it must continue into high school for girls. Thanks for the idea,If I start right now(knowing me), I'll have it half done by Christmas. Going to use those chromatic glass things the florists use.

myxpykalix
09-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Scott! OMG...she likes Peace signs?? whats next lava lamps and black light posters??:eek: What ever you do make sure she doesn't listen to Country Joe and the Fish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuUBCF3KKxc :eek:

scottp55
09-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Jack, this ex-hippie with more miles on his thumb than his BMW 750, was surprised as well. The last time I saw a peace symbol on jeans, you had to embroider them yourself and they had 12" bellbottoms. No I think it will be turtlenecks, and how the heck did you know I had a blacklight in my bathroom (although it's to show off flourescent minerals rather than Jimi).:)

scottp55
09-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Jack, missed the you tube. memories. Much better to sing "There's a girl my Lord,in a flatbed Ford, slowing down to take a look at me" in the middle of nowhere. Been there, done that. Actually, I hope "Hippie Chicks" is the next big comeback, Absolutely no offense to the gentler sex.

genek
09-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Jack and Scott. There is a little more to the peace sign than is seen. It is a picture frame. here is a picture of the back. The lady had been cutting them out by hand, she had to cut the front part first then cut a ring, and finally glue them up so she could attach the ceramics. This one is the proto type for her to see, she is actually on her way to approve it. Go price a picture frame at a frame store. you will get sticker shock. She was trilled to death with the price I quoted her.

by the way if you want a copy of the picture frame let me know.

Here is a good one for you. The first time I saw any hippies was in 1970's when I was sent to San Diego Calf. For (A) school at the naval base there. I had came from my dads farm in rural eastern Kentucky, Had never tasted alcohol, smoked a cigarette, was basically a dumb hill billy. I meet up with this lady and I use the word lady loosely... Who got me drunk, tattooed and stoned all in the same week. In those days, a ounce of pot was $20.00 (Colombian gold)

scottp55
09-16-2013, 10:27 AM
EUGENE!!!!!!!! I'm Shocked! Actually glad you chimed in as I was afraid Jack and I were running away with your thread. You probably would have crossed the street when you saw me back then(like the little old ladies did in this small town until they got to know me). Anyways, get back to talking about 4,000 % gross profit.:) Yes, if it wouldn't be stealing someone else's brain sweat, I would like plans e-mailed to make ONE for Christmas. Dinged my foot up in shop, so foot up for a few days doing graphics for a few days(no 'Bot). Must be nice to be able to stub your toe and say OW! and not repeat it. I don't even know when I did it! Think it was a new bench I just stuck in. Oh well.

genek
09-16-2013, 11:08 AM
when I get it finished will send you the plans.. The lady just left. What she plans on doing is making picture frames, Mirrors, Trivets and just plan old peace signs. She has orders on back order and needs them asap. She added more sizes and wants the inside beefed up a little to give her more room to attach the ceramics.