PDA

View Full Version : Granite

genek
09-16-2013, 11:41 AM
This is the 2nd time that a question was sent to me and I was in the process of doing a job for a customer. photo v carve.

Here is a Granite memorial that I am doing for one of my regular customers

most do not know that you can do photo's with your cnc. even the small desk tops can do small Granite tiles.

Again think out side of the box there are customers all around you.
develop them. I have attached the picture that was sent to me and what it looks like after it went thru the photo process.

will someone post on what the new photo v carve is. thanks

be sure to open the pdf.

khaos
09-16-2013, 02:00 PM
How much does a bit that cuts Granite cost? How do you keep it cool? :confused:

FSICM
09-17-2013, 03:36 PM
would love to see the final project do you have a pic?

I have a cust that would like me to engrave the name in the granite

what kind of bit? speed technich are you using

genek
09-17-2013, 04:15 PM
the picture is a test for a customer, ( we have not done a picture yet. i have been doing some grinding and lettering for him. He has not brought the 1.5 thick granite over yet.

What we have been doing before is just lettering. for cooling we use a fiberglass pan to set the stone in and a little aquarium water pump to pump the water on to the bit and stone

Home (http://www.dexpan.com/) > Diamond Tools, Diamond Products for diamond cutting, drilling, diamond grinding & diamond polishing (http://www.dexpan.com/Diamond-Blades-Drill-Bits-Core-Bits-Polishing-Pads-Diamond-Saw-Blades-Tools.aspx) > Diamond Burr Bits, Sculpting Kit, Box of 20, 30/40# Grit, 1/4" Shank
Diamond Burr Bits, Sculpting Kit, Box of 20, 30/40# Grit, 1/4" Shank

http://www.dexpan.com/images/products/display/Diamond_Grinding/Sculting_Kit/Vacuum_Brazed_Diamond_Sculpting__Engraving_Kit_Dia mond_Burr_Bits_Die_Grinder_VBDP3040.JPG (http://www.dexpan.com/images/products/detail/Diamond_Grinding/Sculting_Kit/Vacuum_Brazed_Diamond_Sculpting__Engraving_Kit_Dia mond_Burr_Bits_Die_Grinder_VBDP3040.JPG)
View Larger Image (http://www.dexpan.com/images/products/detail/Diamond_Grinding/Sculting_Kit/Vacuum_Brazed_Diamond_Sculpting__Engraving_Kit_Dia mond_Burr_Bits_Die_Grinder_VBDP3040.JPG)

Diamond Burr Bits, Box of 20 / Vacuum Brazed Diamond Engraving Set for Die Grinder.

genek
09-17-2013, 04:24 PM
basically what we are going to try to achieve is to just remove the polished part of the granite to make the photo show up. No deep cutting Just shallow cuts .0156 or shallower. with the lettering we go a little deeper, what he does is provide head stones to people that can not afford a big or fancy one. His stones are not the High dollar granite like the funeral companies sale.

I have done something like this with my laser, but if we can do it on a 1.5 inch thick stone 2 foot wide and 4 foot long.. would be nicer. the biggest I can do with the laser is 18 x24 inches. does not leave enough room to set the stone in concrete.

scottp55
09-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Eugene, May be preaching to the choir, but on the pointed brazed bits keep an eye on the tip. In anything like a drilling motion I've had the diamond tip get crushed off in quartz and that was only hand pressure with my flexible shaft (Foredom). Much better luck(and finish) with the sintered diamond bit as there is always more diamond underneath. No experience with 'bot cutting so ignore if you've done it before, just worried about spindle trying to push bit with no diamond through granite.

genek
09-18-2013, 11:00 AM
where did you get that bit. I had done several Pictures for this customer in wood. I have done some with the laser. I figured if we could do it in wood we should be able to do it in granite. we are experimenting they do scenes in granite with some sort of rotary bit now. What gave us the Ideal was my aunts tomb stone. they did hers with some sort of bit then back filled and painted the scene with different color.

scottp55
09-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Eugene, bought a lot of them at Tucson Gem Show back in "98 and still haven't used them all up, mainly "flame"tips they were show specials and are nice as even as the tips wear off I can still use them. All my stuff is freehand with the foredom so as I said may not work on 'bot, also not as agressive as yours so maybe somebody with shopbot experience will chime in. I seem to remember other people telling me no-go on granite with the 'bot, only hardness like marble and soapstone. Will check my tool suppliers though, what shape tip are you looking for and diameter? Will look for invoices but bits are in baggies, will look next time I get up.

bleeth
09-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Eugene:

The bearings on your router/spindle will not hold up under the hardness of granite. For etching "pictures", etc. the best thing it has been found to use is the widgetworks diamond drag bit (you leave the spindle off). They are on SB's store site as well as on widgetworks site. With your inventiveness you will find many uses for it as it also safely etches glass and mirrors, stainless steel, etc.

Dave

scottp55
09-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Thanks Dave, was worried about that after I posted.

genek
09-18-2013, 01:01 PM
I have decided not to do the granite. we put the granite on the buddy and the weight slowed the table so bad we got a warning on movement and it shut down. we were only going to scratch the surface. (Basically what the widget would have done but with a diamond bit.) we were not going to cut it just engrave the polished section off.

will stick to doing this with the laser. just will have to use 18 x 25 sections.

brian
09-18-2013, 05:46 PM
What about masking and sandblasting

Brian