PDA

View Full Version : First Signage Attempt

mwpfeifer
09-22-2013, 10:13 AM
This is my first outdoor, two sided sign made for a friend. Material is composite deck boards from HD and attached with color matched deck screws to 3 oak 1x4s between the two sides. Letters are painted with Krylon for plastics. Individual planks are joined to each other with biscuits in hopes of controlling warping. Going to be interesting to observe the impact of temperature extremes over the next year here in northern MN.

cowboy1296
09-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Great job it only gets better from here. I have often wondered what a sign would look like in recycled plastic. Where I am at the elements are big time brutal.

bleeth
09-22-2013, 11:03 AM
If you used red oak it is not suitable for outdoors (rots). Considering your locale cedar would be a better choice. I would change it out earlier rather than later.

Next time you do a similar sign you should leave more "white space" on the right.

Glad you didn't clutter it up with too much info-It will be highly readable and get's the primary info across. Your friend should be happy and hopefuly it will bring you some more business.

mwpfeifer
09-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Rick,
Thanks for the compliment, used to live in Littleton and spent quite a bit of time in the mountains but too many folks so moved to northern MN. Hope you stayed dry with all that excess rain!

Dave,
I used White Oak so hope it will last a few years. Agree on the white space but unfortunately forgot to take into consideration where my 0,0 point was in reference to material placement. Composite decking is kind of spendy so elected to continue. Customer is happy with end result, at least for now!

I normally do 3d outdoor scenes on various local woods so I'm kind of green regarding this sign stuff, don't think this is an area I want to explore much.

cowboy1296
09-23-2013, 09:10 AM
I used poplar for some outdoor signs because it was recommended to me from a furniture builder and hardwood whole seller. Not happy with it. It warps and the glue did not hold that good.

I have done one double sided out side sign made from western red cedar bought from www.perfectplank.com (http://www.perfectplank.com). Fortunately it faced east and west but so far it is holding up just fine but this will be its first winter.

I might be in the process of doing one that faces south. I will let you know how it holds up. I will use marine poly on it to help seal it.

Thanks for the rain comments. I am about 180 miles south of the effected area.

bobmoore
09-23-2013, 02:19 PM
I have had much better results from sickens log and siding than marine poly which hasn't lasted more than a year or two in northern WI.
Bob

cowboy1296
09-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks and I do have some but it is meant for my home but I will consider that.

bleeth
09-23-2013, 05:55 PM
I second the vote for Sikkens.
I made more money in my boatshop redoing marine varnish then Sikkens!!!
We got to the point where I made a recommendation of using Sikkens marine finish over anyone's varnish and as the months went by after a client approved it they all thanked us.
Their one step finish for cedar is fabulous as well as dead easy to use.

Ajcoholic
09-23-2013, 08:58 PM
You said you used white oak - which (unlike red oak) is awesome for exterior applications.

Poplar on the other hand... not what I would use for anything to be left outdoors...

genek
09-23-2013, 10:58 PM
I second the vote for Sikkens.
I made more money in my boatshop redoing marine varnish then Sikkens!!!
We got to the point where I made a recommendation of using Sikkens marine finish over anyone's varnish and as the months went by after a client approved it they all thanked us.
Their one step finish for cedar is fabulous as well as dead easy to use.
which of the sikkens do you recommend for cedar signs. Need to make one for my home and shop, plus one for my shows. I want a one coat deal that would pop.

bleeth
09-24-2013, 06:19 AM
I like their one coat siding finish. It comes in several colors. You can use a couple colors and do some blending. Joe Crumley is the master at Sikkens for Signs. He will often use one color on the border work and another the inner field. Let them overlap and blend them in.