PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop recording files?

Allen Wagner
09-29-2013, 08:27 PM
I hope this question makes sense. I just upgraded my control software and now, every time I run a file a record is placed in my folder. I called Shopbot and they walked me through a simple process to turn this off but now I need to do it again and I hate to bother them and I can't figure out how to do it again.

Allen

srwtlc
09-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Allen, is this the setting you're looking for? I find it kind of handy from time to time for seeing when I last cut the file, but then again, I have hundreds of files that are repeat jobs from month to month or year to year.

The only other recording feature is for recording commands and that can be turned off (that's the default) under 'Recording'.

MogulTx
09-29-2013, 10:54 PM
OK OK...

Allen: I hate to tag onto this question, but I need to.... I pretty much taught myself on the machine ( with a LOT of help from fine folks here- and a certain couple folks who live semi-close to me and have CNC routers) And the log file significance escaped me.

How does one SEE those log files? Are they text files? DO they overwrite the old log, or do they just pile up in there as small text files? Sorry for my ignorance. I have not used the log files and wondered what they were for... and you have shown me a significant use for them!

Thanks in advance.

srwtlc
09-29-2013, 11:33 PM
MGM,

The log files are saved in the same location as the part file. They are just text files with a .log extension. You can read them in Notepad, SBedit, or any text editor. These log files are used to remember information about the last time the .sbp file was cut along with some other info. Each time a file is run, the log file is appended with another entry, so no, they don't pile up.

MogulTx
09-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Scott,

THANKS! I will check it out on mine. ( I guess when I started and stopped the program and then restarted the thing 2 dozen times yesterday, i probably have some line entry of some sort for each one of those... I was setting up to do a bit of work on the indexer and the design was done months ago, and is zeroed from the center of the spindle. Probably needed to be zeroed from top of the part. Getting it back into the right position in -X and then moving it to the gap between bed and indexer so I could visually adjust height... was a lot of trial and error. I'd have just recalculated it in Aspire but the silly thing originally LOOKED correct in Aspire and then cut in reverse on the machine ( logo's spelled with reversed letters are NOT all that popular with people, believe it or not)... and with the time between the last time I cut this and this set up, I forgot if I had corrected and properly saved the Aspire file (and deleted the other one)- so I didn't want to mess with all that all over again.... and with an indexer, it is near impossible to decipher what is being cut without actually cutting something... big fiasco. But if I could look at a log and KNOW which file was the corrected unit that I had cut last, I would be A-OK. ( A symptom of designing on two separate machines. Need to do all my design work OFF my control machine, however that means no tweaking of the files on the control machine--- and that is never going to happen!)

Allen Wagner
10-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Scott, that was exactly what I was looking for. I think I just don't know enough to know how to use these files. As it is, I have folders with hundreds of files in them and it slows me down to look over hundreds more with somewhat similar icons.

steve_g
10-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Allen...
"100s of files"... It only gets worse!!! Now is the time to figure out a filing system that will allow you to find an old file a few years old after you have THOUSANDS of them!

And while we're talking about files, you've been warned... Back them up! Figure out a backup method that happens without you thinking about it! Make sure that a virtual drive you're backing up to isn't the on same physical drive... When a drive crashes, all virtual drives (partitions) are lost.

SG

bob_s
10-14-2013, 09:58 AM
I've started using google drive for my file storage. They just increased the free space to 15 gig which is a lot of aspire or part works files. It allows me to edit them in the shop or house It does leave the copies on each machine, so if you are offline you can still use the last synchronized copy. Their instructions were easy and I've even used my iPhone to see the files and send one to a friend when I was on the road. Free is the best part though.
Bob