PDA

View Full Version : Question on zeroing.

Hoytbasses
10-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Greetings: If we're running a whole bunch of parts that are exactly the same thickness, do I have to re-zero the machine every time we change a part? (but using the same bit)

we're getting ready to rout the channels for rosettes and cutting tabbed soundholes on 22 acoustic guitar tops . They've all been sanded to the same thickness. Once the first top is zeroed, I'm assuming that I should be able to keep reloading the tops in, rezeroing the x,y axes , and run the part.

is that safe to do or should a rookie like me recheck the z axis each time?

thanks

Karl

bleeth
10-07-2013, 08:26 AM
You don't need to re-zero every part unless you completely shut your system down every time also.

Hoytbasses
10-07-2013, 10:22 AM
by shut the system down you mean turning off the power to the Bot?

we'd be leaving the bot on and the same program loaded.... would only have to shut it down if we don't get them all cut in one session.

thanks

Karl

I'm assuming i should re-zero the x,y axes though, correct?

bobmoore
10-07-2013, 10:30 AM
I don't see any reason to shut the bot down or rezero any axis if the parts are the same thickness. Just leave the machine on to keep the motors energized, you don't need to even keep the part program running.
Bob

Hoytbasses
10-07-2013, 10:38 AM
thanks very much, Gentlemen.

I'll post pix when they're all machined

Karl Hoyt

bleeth
10-07-2013, 10:43 AM
When running a series of parts the same thickness and with the same bit you don't need to re-zero anything in between parts.

Re-zeroing is done for the following reasons:
1. I just turned my system on and it was completely off.
2. I just changed bits.
3. I lost position.
4. I changed the thickness of the material I am cutting and zero to material top and not table.
5. I just ran into the bot with my fork lift and may have moved the gantry
6. The power blinked while the control system was on.
7. My computer crashed
8. I am very anal and have no faith that my position hasn't changed when it is powered up but has been sitting idle for a while.

There is more but that's the general idea.

Hoytbasses
11-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks, everyone:

we're inching (or maybe millimetering) ever closer to figuring out how to use this thing reliably and consistently every day. thanks in a huge part to the patient feedback we get from this forum.

Take care:

Karl Hoyt
http://www.nausetarts.org/Visual_Arts_Page/Guitar_Woodworking_Page.html

chiloquinruss
11-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Also if the parts are being held in a jig, CLEAN the jig between parts. A little dust is cumlative! Ask me how i know! :D Russ