PDA

View Full Version : pointed roundover bits

twelchPTM
10-10-2013, 12:21 PM
I know I saw a while back a discussion referencing the pointed roundover bits and using them for lettering. I just purchased one for a different purpose but thought it would be fun to see what else I could do with it. I created a form tool in the v-carve SB edition and dropped in some letters but when I attempted to compile a v-carve toolpath to see what it would look like the software would not let me use the form tool.

Anybody else played with these bits? if so could you share what happened?

bleeth
10-10-2013, 12:49 PM
It will only allow you to select v-bits or (I think) ball nose for v-carving.
Problem in trying to v-carve with it will be it won't recognize the curve of the bit for proper corner toolpathing. IF V-carve has a folder for roundovers you might try that but I know the "previous" SB software wouldn't let you select them for v-carving. You can cut letters with it but won't get squared corners.

steve_g
10-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Thomas
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14382 (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14382)

Here's the original thread I think you were referencing... Joe wasn't using a V-carve toolpath with the round over bits. he started with 1/8" deep on 6" letters and went deeper until he got the look he wanted.

SG

scottp55
10-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Thomas, Not sure what size bit or use. I've got Magnate (not thrilled) .25,.325,and .375" radius Pointed Round Over's. Make sure your tool profile is from actual measurements of the bit,mine were off. No (Pain) you can't get a VCP preview in VCarve with the PRO bits but a machinist friend told me to find my max depth without hitting the shoulder of the bit and set that as my flat depth(basically lie to the'bot) and try it out. All my stuff is teeny so I don't know if it will help,and it's mainly maple ,cherry. I've only done a couple thousand inches so. I found them very useful for small graphics as the vbits either obliterated the flower or didn't touch it. Wish I'd taken more pictures of tiny letters. Others may help more,Newbie here.

twelchPTM
10-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I am actually using a .125r bit from Amana. I am making simple beaded panels. I only asked because I often find that you can make some pretty interesting things by using "the wrong bit". I can picture in my head what it would look like and was hoping I could see it in the preview window but no. after I am done with my panels I will set up a v-bit that matches the roundover in size and run. I think the worst thing that could happen would be a broken bit

adrianm
10-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Paco has some nice info that has been posted here before - http://pacosarea.blogspot.co.uk/2007/02/point-roundover-bit-sign-maker-delight.html

scottp55
10-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Thomas, Bob and a few other told me to run the program twice to get rid of fuzzies and it does help. with the grain doesn't seem to do much,cross grain you can hear it cutting that last little bit. feed seems very important to quality. I did some with the grain on maple only and 1.1ips and 1.6ips were identical quality everything in between was worse(1.3ips stunk). crossgrain whole other story. so settled for 1.1. Have fun

Bob Eustace
10-10-2013, 04:19 PM
I am actually using a .125r bit from Amana. I am making simple beaded panels. I only asked because I often find that you can make some pretty interesting things by using "the wrong bit". I can picture in my head what it would look like and was hoping I could see it in the preview window but no. after I am done with my panels I will set up a v-bit that matches the roundover in size and run. I think the worst thing that could happen would be a broken bit

So true Thomas! I accidentally cut a profile with a heap of tabs. Used a vee vit instead of straight and got a really interesting effect.

scottp55
10-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Thomas can you post a close-up of the cut before you sand, looking for new bits.

twelchPTM
10-16-2013, 04:56 PM
as promised, a quick test in some mdf. I created a dummy bit set as a 90 degree v-carve, with a .25 diameter and .125 depth per pass and .125 stepovers. came out with a strange sort of fluting inside the letters.

Sprayed some orange over to see if it made it a little more visable, I think with a little tweaking and the right font this could be really cool

bobmoore
10-16-2013, 06:25 PM
I installed mine as a 15 degree vbit and that is pretty close for my purposes. I can run it then as a vcarve or a profile .
Bob

twelchPTM
10-22-2013, 02:14 PM
I think the step over is critical when using as a v-bit, to much and it takes for ever to cut, not enough and you get the "fluting" that I did