PDA

View Full Version : Second Spindle Or Drill on PRT Model

rene1711
02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of
Second Spindle Or Drill on PRT Models?

I found a couple in forum I'm wondering if there's any more someone is willing to share.

Thank you

harold_weber
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Here's two Perske spindles - did this in 2004 on a late 2002 model PRT. I recommend the extruded aluminum struts under the Y-rails - rather than the "strut-channel" pieces that were original equipment in 2002.

rene1711
02-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Harold,
Is it possible to add drills to your set up?
Do you use one spindle for drilling? Is so what's your speeds set up for drilling?

Thank you for your time.

harold_weber
02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
"Is it possible to add drills to your setup?"
Some one on this Forum once said something like "ShopBot is great at hiding their light under a bushel basket", I agree!!! Wouldn't you think that since ShopBot sells an air drill head, they would at least have a picture of one installed on a machine? If they do I cannot find it.

Rene, I would think that if you wanted to install ShopBot's air drill head on a PRT, you could simply bolt it to one of the two blue rails on the Y-car that span between the two Y-rails. Try calling ShopBot and ask them how they want theirs installed if you are interested in buying the air drill, I've seen one working at one of their Jamborees. The Z movement is driven by air pressure. Since there is no X or Y movement while you are drilling, the mounting just needs to support forces in the Z direction.

I have used one spindle for drilling when I need to, but usually I have a 1/4 or 3/8 inch bit installed in the smaller spindle to cut parts out, and a large ball-nosed bit in the larger spindle to do 3D relief cutting.

If I'm drilling with a 1/4 inch single flute bit (typically the Onsrud 65000 series bit), for hardwoods I try to have a .005 inch chip load, so at 12000 rpm, that amounts to a Z feed rate of 1 inch per second. For other materials and bit types, you may need to experiment to find what works best.

br928
02-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Here is my setup with spindle and drill.

CajunCNC
02-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey that Customized Milwaukee Hole Shooter looks slick . . . . Looks familiar too. . .

Steve

rene1711
02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks Harold and Stan.