PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the Crate....

Chazz
12-21-2013, 11:50 AM
I have seen people asking about what kind of bench/table to put the Desktop on. I would like to relate my story -- even though it is not yet complete. I have mostly built a platform for my Shopbot Desktop from the crate that it arrived in. The top and sides come apart pretty easily. The hardest part thus far has been removing the six 4x4 "feet" on the bottom. I decided that I wanted it to be slightly less long than it was on the longest edge so I cut 7-3/4" off of the length and repositioned the 1x4s and the one 2x4 on the bottom. I re-assembled the bottom (now on the top) and sides all with their 1x4s & 2x4s on the inside. I then added some 2x4 framing on the inside as I want to put some drawers on the front. I also cut the opening on the front and back to allow for the drawers on the front and a door on the back. Then I took the former top and doubled-up the top of the bench -- again with the 1x4 material down in this case. I put two coats of enamel (one medium can was enough) and the width is just right for the desktop. When using, you still have to be mindful of the moving gantry on either side and the bottom; but it turns out to be very stable....

I have left to adjust the rails for the drawers, make the top drawer which is intended to be a router bits and misc shallow drawer, make the bottom drawer which will be for hold-down jigs and such, and setup the back door.

Just thought I would share.... Happy fabricating!!!!

scottp55
12-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Well done Chazz, Can you post pics, I have to do the same thing but with mods for my wheelchair. Thanks for posting.

Chazz
12-21-2013, 06:41 PM
I will try to get some pictures up within a day or so....

tappsman
12-21-2013, 08:18 PM

I am very much into recycling and so when I purchased by Buddy a few years ago I kept thinking what I could make with the crate it came in. After it sat around for a few years I decided that it would make a great small shed to hold a lawn mower, etc.

Brady Watson
12-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Haha! Sweet! Thanks for posting that, Dennis.

-B

Bob Eustace
12-22-2013, 02:35 AM
You win Dennis - that is just fantastic! All it needs is wall paper inside!!!!

mikeacg
12-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Bob - Wallpaper? And cover up the Shopbot logo?

Dennis - I love the idea of a rolling shed! May have to 'borrow' that idea!

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Mike

Red Dawg
12-22-2013, 10:13 AM
When we received the PRS 4848 at the shop, it was in a crate about 6 or 7 feet long by about 3' wide, all screwed and strapped to a pallet of the same length. After uncrating, we took the top sheet and screwed it to the bottom sheet and hammered out the steel edging all around the edges. This resulted in a platform about 5 inches tall by 3' X 7'. I gave it to some of my students who are into skate boarding to use as a "trick-box". They loved it! They could "ollie" up onto the box, "grind" the edges, and whatever else they wanted to do. Fun for them and I didn't have to dispose of the crate.

Chazz
12-25-2013, 02:48 PM
lol, OK, I have pictures. However, the forum doesn't let you put anything bigger than 19k file size. Any way that I reduce this to fit in that size, you can't make out any details..... Any ideas?

Chazz
12-25-2013, 04:48 PM
OK, I checked a picture that was already on the forum and it was over 100k; so they must not be policing it too well....

View01 is the inside. Showing the inner framing with 2x4 to mount the shelf rails upon. Also, you can see the 2x4 of the original crate's bottom at the top.

View02 is the front. To the left of the Shopbot is a sheet of plexiglass to prevent chips from flying over to the computer. Even at this resolution you can just make out the top is the original crate's top -- just upside down. Also, the bench is wide enough that the gantry is clear as long as you have nothing on the sides of the bench.

View03 is the back. I haven't mounted the door yet; but it will hinge on the far end (picture view). The shopvac is my current means of chip and dust removal; but you can see my future chip and dust removal in the right background. I just have yet to plumb it up.

Thoughts?

scottp55
12-26-2013, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the pics Chazz. Adding levellers and retractable casters to mine and mod for wheelchair and adding plexi shield as my eye level is perfect shrapnel height. You'll use every inch of the storage.:)