PDA

View Full Version : looking for Aspire-ish software

twelchPTM
01-06-2014, 05:27 PM
So I took Aspire for a test drive and the thing I liked the most was how I could take a shape and simply "push" or "pull" at a certain point to create concave or convex carvings. Well try as I might the powers that be just won't spend the money. At this point that feature alone could really expand what I am able to do with the bot, does anyone know of any free or low cost software that will do this with the same ease as aspire?

jerry_stanek
01-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Aspire is one of the least expensive options out there.

Brady Watson
01-06-2014, 06:51 PM
There are a few freebies out there for 3D content creation. Some easier to learn than others, and learning curves vary as well, but you might want to check out Scuptris, Blender and 123D Sculpt. None of these are 'Aspire-ish' but they do permit 3D model creation & you can pull the 3D file into PWorks3D to machine.

-B

shilala
01-06-2014, 07:04 PM
I can't imagine getting along without Aspire.
Maybe you can find a second hand setup or an older version?
I could certainly get along with version 3.

zeykr
01-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Present full Artcam and Mastercam to them as alternatives. When they turn those down, go back to Aspire.

GlenP
01-08-2014, 03:07 PM
If your wife is like mine she sees cost for software as a EXPENSE and can't understand the cost of buying or keeping updated. I think of my design software as another tool in my tool box to get work done. Can make money if you don't have the tools or good quality tools. You may find a cheaper software to get you past it for now, but in my experience you will probably end up trying couple different ones and when you add all the cost up it was was much or cheaper than the cost of aspire.
If you use vcarve now or partworks I think you could upgrade vs buying straight up. ??
If I were you do up a spreadsheet or something to show her how you will use the software and the money it is going to earn you. My wife also used to complain that I got new "toys" (tools) for the shop and yet she can't get a new dishwasher or ?? I make money and my living off my "toys" and I can't see the new dishwasher bringing any cash in. It is sometimes just how our wifees see it.

Cheers,
Glen

loriny
01-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Aspire is my easy money. Radius architraves and other odd ball things nobody else does can pay well when you can design quickly with the software and cut while building cabinets.
I was lucky and got it with my machine when I bought it. I've only upgraded to V3 but have all the functionality I need. I highly recommend any Vectric product as their forum is just as good as this one.
Lorin

Chuck Keysor
01-09-2014, 01:17 AM
As to Mastercam, I personally paid for a seat of Mastercam, with their Art package in 2005, for over $10K, right before I got laid off from my electrical engineering job of 27 years. I cringed at the high annual maintenance costs, and high expense for training. And I didn't even actually own the software, and couldn't re-sell it. And this was all before I had even purchased my Shopbot, so I couldn't use my Mastercam!

I was so happy when Aspire came out. It was a huge relief to get out from under Mastercam, but I sure wish Aspire would have been out when I signed up for Mastercam! I still cry over the money I spent on Mastercam that I never even used. :( Thank goodness for Aspire, or I'd still be paying for Mastercam maintenance:)........... Go ahead and get Aspire, it is a bargain! Chuck