PDA

View Full Version : Styrofoam (attn Bill Palumbo)

harryball
02-15-2008, 10:21 AM
We talked about using sheets of styrofoam like Dow blue board products at the shopbot camp. I'm looking for a supplier in the Atlanta area but I believe this is the product here...

http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/na/pro-us/products/styrofoam/index.htm

What density is best to use? I see it available from 20 psi to 100 psi and a wide range of thicknesses.

Any suppliers in the Atlanta area that will sell small quantities?

I can't find anything over 3/4" retail around here.

/RB

harryball
02-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Has anyone tried cutting EPS Polystyrene? It is the same styrofoam just Expanded not Extruded like the Dowboard.

I can get 2 lb EPS locally in about any shape I want, 4x8 sheets to huge blocks. It may also be possible to get EPS as used in concrete insulation and forms up to 4" thick, they are checking if the local plant makes it. It is EPS just with higher density to carry anywhere from 40 to 100 psi in weight.

I'm REALLY wanting to cut one of those wine girls!

/RB

Brady Watson
02-15-2008, 02:57 PM
The Pink & Blue foams are in the 3-5LBS density, depending on thickness & brand. I have a few 3" 4X8 sheets here of the blue & it is higher density than the thinner pink or blue stuff.

You really don't want to use the white beaded stuff for a couple reasons...1) It is low density around 1-2 LBS and 2) It contains a LOT of moisture. Beaded foam = BAD if you are doing carvings with a lot of detail, unless the scale is very, very large...Like Bob's Big Boy large.

The wine girls are neat...but I would like to see something new. With all the different possibilities out there as to things you can cut, the sky's the limit.

-B

harryball
02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks Brady. I was just using the wine girls as an example. What I REALLY want to cut is a very large bat... of course.

I discovered the EPS is 2#. The concrete insulation I don't have additional information yet. It is supposed to be denser and resistant to water but is still EPS. I can't find any XPS over 1" thick here. I've called Dow directly and two major distributors including BlueLinx and not retailer carries stock, I have to special order and by a truck load.

If I can get the concrete foam or higher density EPS I may give a sheet a try just to see what happens. Otherwise, if anyone knows where I can get thicker XPS in Atlanta, please let me know.

/RB

Brady Watson
02-15-2008, 03:46 PM
You probably will not find thicker insulation than 1.5" in your location...if for no other reason than it really doesn't get that cold down there. The colder the weather...the thicker the foam you can get. There are places way up north that stock the 4 & 5" thick XPS stuff...I can only get the 3" and have to drive 100 miles to the only place around to get it @ $55 a sheet. It is sold as commercial roofing insulation...that may be a lead for you. (and it is a DOW product...but DOW is worthless in telling you where to get it...been there dude!...several weeks of calling!)

Not to fret if you can't get the thicker stuff...just Gorilla glue, Foam2Foam or GreatStuff several of the thinner sheets together & vacuum bag laminate them into one big chunk. Use a sheet of plywood on top to keep the bag from rounding the corners.

-B

harryball
02-15-2008, 04:23 PM
YEAHHHH! A fellow botter sent me an email.

Woolley & Company in Norcross 770-448-8473.
I called and they carry Dow Blueboard 3" thick in 4x8 sheets for $45.12 each in small quantities, check or cash only. The also have 4" thick in 2x8 panels.

Thanks guys! I'll work on getting a few sheets and I'll be sure to post the results.

/RB

Brady Watson
02-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Well there you have it, Batman!

-B

beacon14
02-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Brady, it gets mighty cold down here when you are building a walk-in freezer. Not that I am, but that's why they stock the thicker foam.

Brady Watson
02-15-2008, 06:44 PM
That's just cold, David.

harryball
02-15-2008, 09:24 PM
I knew somebody had to have the stuff, the trick is finding them. It's amazing to me (but should not be) that Dow can refer me to their "only" distributor which in turn tells me they don't sell that size to ANYONE in the southeast. Then find a dealer that stocks it... leaves me wondering who they buy from if not from Dow's only distributor.

Eitherway, I'm stoked, gonna try to go get a few sheets Monday and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip David.

/RB

btk
02-16-2008, 07:01 AM
You usually can find Larger XPS at places that specialize in commercial roofs (as it is used as an underlayment), or if you live near water, people who build docks use large pieces as well.

Brian

billp
02-17-2008, 01:17 PM
ROBERT,
Be SURE you check that foam carefully. In some cases they DO have it in 4' by 8' sheets, but it is " pre -perforated" meaning it has been " scored" at 16" intervals so the pieces can be easily snapped off and installed between wall studs.
For some reason these guys seem to think that the ONLY use for this foam is insulation...

harryball
02-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'm going up there tomorrow and plan to get 1" and 3" foam sheets. The place said they sell it for freezer installation and concrete insulation. Hopefully it won't be the perfed stuff.

Once I get it I'm sure I'll be researching and asking about smooth-on, finishes and more!

/RB

harryball
02-18-2008, 04:16 PM
I was able to pickup some XPS foam (Dow Blueboard) today. I have 1", 2" and 3" 4x8 sheets.

I was looking for the coating information, if I remember it was by Smooth-On but which product do I need to coat the foam with before painting?

/RB

billp
02-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Robert,
You have a few options;
One is to use a product called " Magic Smooth" which is an epoxy type of paste hard coating that will give you a " shell" you can paint.
Another option is to use a water based product called " FSC-88 WB" and apply that on top of the styrofoam. THEN you can use an epoxy resin on top of that, and follow this up with paint.
If you go back on the Forum to where Mark Meggitt describes how he did his " Rain Forest Cafe" project he also mentions another technique which obviously works very well.
I think the " coating" you might be thinking of is from " Sculpt Nouveau"
( www.sculptnouveau.com (http://www.sculptnouveau.com)) They are the ones that have the water based metallic coatings, and patinas. I think their " Iron" coating might look good on a bat....