PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Austin Camp Shopbot

waynelocke
01-21-2014, 05:08 PM
The Austin camp will be February 28 and March 1 this year.

As usual Friday's session will begin at 10AM and will be a bit less formal than Saturday's 9AM session. Lunch will be provided both days and the address is the same, 9000 Feather Hill Rd., Austin, TX 787367.

Randy Johnson will be the Shopbot rep at the Camp and I believe that he will have a HandiBot to show.

If you something special which you have done or have a technique or special use of the Shopbot and would like to make a formal presentation, please contact me. Also, if there is something that you would like to have a presentation on, please contact me.

wespor
01-23-2014, 01:54 AM
Looking forward to it, though it would have made more sense to push it back a week. There is a big maker, DIYer and digital fabrication movement in SXSW. Lots of 3D printing, laser cutting and no doubt CNC equipment will be shown.

Camp ShopBot
01-23-2014, 02:15 PM
We are excited about the upcoming 2-Day Austin Camp! Yes, Randy will have the Handibot to demo and discuss. Please register for this camp using our Google Form. This will ensure there are enough chairs and food for everyone.
Austin Sign-Up Form (http://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HM2TgOvWOkyh4tH_QYyMQkf3vdLGuSv0crgWWvfU3rM/viewform)

Our apologies that this Camp falls during SXSW. Come for Friday or Saturday or both days. And don't forget to bring a project or two for the Show and Tell session!

waynelocke
01-24-2014, 12:44 AM
The SXSW Create 2014 is March 7-9 so there should not be a conflict.

waynelocke
02-06-2014, 11:39 AM
To All:

The Austin camp will be February 28 and March 1 this year.

As usual Friday's session will begin at 10AM and will be a bit less formal than Saturday's 9AM session. Lunch will be provided both days and the address is the same, 9000 Feather Hill Rd., Austin, TX 787367.

Randy Johnson will be the Shopbot rep at the Camp and I believe that he will have a HandiBot to show.

If you something special which you have done or have a technique or special use of the Shopbot and would like to make a formal presentation, please contact me. Also, if there is something that you would like to have a presentation on, please contact me.

waynelocke
02-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Joe Crumley will not be able to attend the Austin Camp this year but has suggested a presentation on marketing would probably be interesting and appreciated. If any one feels up to task Joe has offered to help with the preparation. If you are interested in putting together a presentation on marketing please let me know.

mikek
03-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks again to Wayne, Randy and all who attended and shared information with the group. Enjoyed every minute as usual.

For some Austinite's who attended, Ron Brown had suggested "Velvit Oil" as a finishing oil to some of us. It is available locally at:

Eco-Wise
110 W. Elizabeth St. Austin TX 78704
p. 512.326.4474 f. 512.326.4496
hours of operation - M-F 9:30-6:30, Sat 10-6, Sun 12-5
ecowise512@gmail.com

http://www.ecowise.com/Wood_Stain_and_Sealer_s/1819.htm

It is just 1/2 block west of S. Congress about 4 blocks south of Riverside.

Velvit Oil has many formulations it looks like from their website.
http://www.velvitproducts.com/details_velvitoil.html

technoronin
03-02-2014, 12:13 PM
This was my first ShopBot camp and I had a great time. Thanks for putting it on and thanks to Wayne for hosting it!

terryjones
03-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Wayne, once again you and ShopBot (Randy) have knocked out of the park. Are you still eating Fajitas. I beleive you had enough. I, as always come away from every camp with more knowledge than what I came with.

Thank you. :)
Terry Jones

ron brown
03-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Once again Wayne (applause follows) does a stellar job of putting on a 'camp'.

Randy also did a great job of presenting.

I have promised to update my "Texas Star" cutting file as several have requested.

On the "Velvit Oil". The only problems reported to me is from folks who 'dip from the can' and/or fail to seal the can after use. This stuff is volatile and apparently the solvent helps in the hardening. Read the can instructions, decant what you may need, use it and discard the waste.

I think it may be the best simple finish I have ever used. It comes in several formulations including one suitable for UV exposure.

The ingenuity and diversity of ShopBot owners continue to amaze and amuse me. Although these 'camps' could easily be taken over by ShopBot and led into a sales game with plenty of folks there to encourage the entanglement of 'another victim', all I have been to are as much or more help to 'users'.

I've been working for the last 5 years for a company that rebuilds agriculture equipment. My main job is to 'fit' metal parts to some pretty complex shapes and program and program a 12' X 20' plasma cutter that can Pierce and cut 1" steel at ~ 60'/minute.

We have 190 ton and 400 ton press breaks and a 'roll' that can roll 3/4' steel X 10' into an ~17" minimum diameter tube or cone. As a result, I enjoy dealing with support groups that are from useless to great. ShopBot is among the best in support. This includes support one has to pay for.

Velvit oil - http://www.velvitoil.com/ - and good folks to deal with.

Ron