PDA

View Full Version : A few end of the year projects...

srwtlc
01-26-2014, 10:09 PM
...non business related for some gifts and weddings.

One of several end grain tumbling block cutting boards. Walnut/maple/cherry/bloodwood. Designed and cut some special clamping rings to aid in initial glue up of the block sections.

A wedding platter out of cherry and a walnut easel. The platter is quite thin with the back matching the face profile with a base ridge. Didn't get a picture of the back.

A wedding box from walnut/maple/cherry MDF. They wanted something to put 'advice' notes in and then other uses afterwards.

srwtlc
01-26-2014, 10:12 PM
...Payment for some work done for me on my bike. A window shadow box out of birch. The frame was aged with black tea for some tannin and then a solution of white vinegar and steel wool with a little abuse from various tools to ding it up and some square nail holes. Top coated with lacquer.

Brady Watson
01-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Very nice stuff, Scott. It's about freakin' time you posted some pics of things you made :D

-B

cowboy1296
01-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Very nice Scott. Tell me about the finish on the platter.

Kyle Stapleton
01-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Glad you are the one training me in, that is great stuff.

srwtlc
01-27-2014, 11:38 AM
It's about freakin' time you posted some pics of things you madeI seldom have time for all the personal projects that I'd like to do, but had a slow time at the end and beginning of the year. The nature of what I mainly do doesn't really allow for show & tell much and most of it isn't truly finished when it leaves here (laser engraving or further assembly/embellishment). I do keep as much of a picture portfolio as I can though.

Rick, the finish on the plate (box and window too) is two coats of Sherwin-Williams dull rubbed effect Hi-Build precat lacquer. I mainly use the Hi-Build because I do a lot of carved and stained veneered MDF plaques and it seals and builds nicely in the carved areas and the edges. It has a much more forgiving pot life (90 days or so) compared to the post cat conversion varnish (hours) that I used to use, but it's not quite as hard. Seems to hold up well though.

Lookin' forward to it Kyle.

Brady Watson
01-27-2014, 12:40 PM
I seldom have time for all the personal projects that I'd like to do, but had a slow time at the end and beginning of the year. The nature of what I mainly do doesn't really allow for show & tell much and most of it isn't truly finished when it leaves here...

I totally get it. I was just busting your chops a little. :) I'm in the same boat - which is why I don't post 99.5% of the stuff that I do.

I stole away a few days after Christmas to work on some of my own stuff. I gotta admit...it was pretty nice to be able to keep what came off of the machine! Now back to work...(whip cracking noises) :D

-B

Joe Porter
01-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Really nice looking stuff, Scott....joe

VanIslanddan
01-27-2014, 09:21 PM
I really like the carving on the top of the box. Is it an original design? In leather working they would call it Sheridan style but I have trouble describing it in carved panels. Thanks for sharing.

srwtlc
01-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Dan, the top (and inside) is a hack job modification of the designs use in one of the free 'Project of the Month (http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/projects.html)' called 'The Paradise Box (http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/projects/2011/paradise-box.html)'. The maple heart relief is set in a shallow pocket. Quadrant hinge pockets done on the bot also.

Bob Eustace
01-28-2014, 02:55 AM
Lovely work Scott. The Paradise box sure is a handy file to bounce off. We have five versions now! Curious where you used the MDF?

srwtlc
01-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Thanks Bob, the paradise box has seen quite a bit of variation in usage from the box itself to the vcarve design used for it.

The panel for the top is a piece of 3/4 cherry veneer MDF. Carved, sealed with lacquer, sprayed the carving with brown (Laser Dark (http://www.laserdark.com/)), sand off overspray, and then two final coats of lacquer.

cowboy1296
01-28-2014, 10:52 AM
I have researched the internet and can not really find the information that I want on Sherwin-Williams dull rubbed effect Hi-Build precat lacquer. I am assuming that it only comes in a gallon. I am assuming it only comes in satin. Can you think of any links that I can get some good info from?

I called the store that is 60 miles away and they sent me some pdf files, but still not exactly what I wanted.

Thanks.

srwtlc
01-28-2014, 11:33 AM
This (http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/products/wood/clear-wood-finishes/solvent/catalyzed/sher-wood-hi-bild-precat-lacquer) is the best I can find online. It's part of their OEM coatings division. It's product # T77 F 58 for the Dull Rubbed. It states a sheen of 17-21. Anything higher than that would have to much sheen for me. I get it in 5 gallons, but they do have 1 gallon. You can buy the catalyst and catalyze your own if you want. I get 5's already catalyzed for approximately $26/gallon.

Attached is the PDF.

cowboy1296
01-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks, that is pretty much what they sent me. Do my own? You just talked right over my head.

srwtlc
01-28-2014, 12:44 PM
It needs to be catalyzed with 3 ounces of catalyst per gallon. The store will generally do that for you when you buy it, but if you don't think you'll use the whole gallon or 5 gallon pail within 4 months, then you could buy a gallon of catalyst and mix it yourself in smaller amounts. I have them do it since I easily use it up within that time frame.

Bob Eustace
01-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks Scott - thought thats what you did. Have you seen the curved top variation over on the Vectric Forum? Messing with that at present by adding domed ends. Boxes are an excellent Shopbot product as you can use up just about all your otherwise useless bits of off cut EXPENSIVE exotics. Lots of excellent design books on Amazon particularly Heirloom boxes. And now we have Seans fantastic drag knife linings take only seconds.