PDA

View Full Version : "Simple" drawing

twelchPTM
01-28-2014, 01:22 PM
I have been trying for some time now to create a single vector that is a perfectly spaced spiral, any tips would be appreciated.

I am working on a gift Item and would like to wrap text around in a spiral...

steve_g
01-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Thomas…
Do you have the spiral gadget?
SG

twelchPTM
01-28-2014, 01:50 PM
I didn't realize there was a spiral gadget. I found an image of an Archimedean Spiral on a polar graph and have been nudging nodes for the last 20 minutes of so, but that looks to be much easier....

steve_g
01-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Thomas…
I didn’t find it in my copy of VCP, I assume it’s available and I just didn’t take the time to load it… this came from my old copy of PW.

SG

scottp55
01-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Gadgets homehttp://gadgets.vectric.com/

Bob Eustace
01-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Thomas, I use the spiral gadget everytime I want a quick "embellishment". It truly is fantastically quick and totally bullet proof and just looks so cool on things like cheese platters etc. We even use it on ladder golf kits!

Rob Gunn
01-28-2014, 03:16 PM
A free download of "Inkscape" also has a spiral creator.

twelchPTM
02-01-2014, 08:43 AM
so I figured out how to make a spiral, I then downloaded the spiral gadget and realized how much easier it made things, typed in my text, wrapped it to the curve, and immediately hated the way it looked. well back to the drawing board, Thanks for the help guys!

Chuck Keysor
02-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Thomas, I will offer some comments that will not be of any use in the short term, but hopefully they will be of long-term value to you.

In the longer term, if in fact you are like me (a guess based upon your being choosey about your spirals), and want to have maximum control over your graphics, you will need to be able to have a good command of at least one graphics package, such as Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, or DrawPlus X6.

Even though I have Aspire, and it has good drawing capabilities, is not graphically speaking, as powerful as the software I just listed. Some like Illustrator are wildly expensive, Corel Draw, less so, DrawPlus X6 is only $99 (an Illustrator expert I met actually says DrawPlus is a great product, though I haven't used it) , and Inkscape is free.

I took up Illustrator, because I was able to take a class in that at my local community college. And there is an endless supply of training books, and even YouTube how-to videos for Illustrator. But it is so expensive,,, it killed me when I recently upgraded from my 8 year old version to the current product. But it does empower me to be picky about how things look, AND be able to do something about it, at least within the best of what I can visualize. (And I am still trying to learn the new things the current version can do).

If you are going to be in the business for a long time, and want/need maximum control of your graphics, you will need to do some long-term drawing/graphics software training. You have a good range of choices.

Good luck, Chuck