PDA

View Full Version : LED task lighting for my PRT

br928
02-19-2014, 06:53 PM
I did not check to see if anyone has posted something similar to this.

I have been using these 5 meter long strips of LEDs for under counter lighting for years. The first roll I bought cost over $200. The cost has dropped dramatically. I bought this 5M roll for $15 delevered!

This particular roll has 120 LEDs per meter. That's 3 LEDs per inch. The strip can be cut in 1" increments. There are many colors to choose from but these are super bright cool white. These are also waterproof. Which means the LED strip is encased in silicone. Adhesive strip on the back side.

A 12VDC power supply can be bought for another $12-$15.

So far I just have them on the X carriage. I may put some on the Y carriage also. Why not....I still have some left over.

Not bad lighting for $30 investment. A lot cheaper than they were a few years ago.

bleeth
02-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Aw c'mon Stan-How come they're not RGB's with a controller that moves the color change and pattern to the harmonic music?:D
Look's great. Now you can let her rip and save money on the rest of the shop lighting-the perfect thing for that late night cutting to meet deadline.

myxpykalix
02-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Stan that actually is a excellent idea. It is usually shadowy under my gantry from the lights above and i use a dollar store clamp on light when i want to locate my X spot but this would be much better.
I was a bit disappointed that we didn't see them flashing like disco lights though:D
What is your source for the lights?

br928
02-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Dave/Jack

I do have another roll that is RGB with a IR handheld remote. They will flash/fade and change any color you want. They just were not bright enough for this application. Besides all the flashing kinda makes me sick to my stomach. Not what you want when you are working! Gonna save them for the Disco room.

Ebay has a lot and I think Amazon too. Search for LED strip lights and LED power supply. Need at least 12V@5A.

Bob Eustace
02-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Have all LED but be carefull some make the collet look like its stopped.

srwtlc
02-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Some under cabinet florescents work nice under the PRS gantry.

JimDav
02-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Stan - I'd be interested in seeing a close up or two of how your dust shroud is attached. Guess you made yours. Looks like you might have a double Z like mine. Just got a used Bot and need to figure out how to add a shroud. Previous owner didn't use one. Thx.

David Iannone
02-20-2014, 06:17 PM
That is a great idea. I will be ordering some led lighting for my 2001 PRT.

br928
02-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Stan - I'd be interested in seeing a close up or two of how your dust shroud is attached. Guess you made yours. Looks like you might have a double Z like mine. Just got a used Bot and need to figure out how to add a shroud. Previous owner didn't use one. Thx.

I do have a different dust pickup than most. It uses two hoses and uses one of the Zs as an attachment point. That way I can raise and lower it from the keyboard. Give me some time to take some pictures and I will start another post.

br928
02-20-2014, 07:35 PM
That is a great idea. I will be ordering some led lighting for my 2001 PRT.

There are a lot of choices for these LEDs out there. The ones I showed are 600 LEDs per 5 meter length.

I had some 300 LEDs per 5M but those seem to run hotter. The silicone waterproofing tends to hold in the heat causing them to die long before the rated 50,000 hour life.

The 600 LED set is not showing this heating problem, at least not so far.

JimDav
02-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks Stan. Can't wait to see what you did for dust collection. My dbl Z has a PC router and a Dewalt drill. Not much space left in there. Not sure if I will keep the drill but don't want to take it off yet either. Cut my first pieces last Saturday so I am a total newbie.

I see you are in Baton Rouge. I spent 6 months there back in 1982/3working for a sweatshop software development company.

br928
02-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Jim,

Was that software company "Fifth Generation Systems"?

See my post on my dust collector.

JimDav
02-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Jim,

Was that software company "Fifth Generation Systems"?

See my post on my dust collector.
Nope. Moore Data Systems owned by Harley Moore. This was 1982/83 when I worked there. I think he sold out. Have no idea what he is doing or if he is even alive. The company plane crashed Oct 31, 1982 on leaving Baton Rouge for a financial software install for a client in Connecticut. This was right after I started there. Some weeks later I had to go do the install - flew commercial : ) I didn't take the opportunity but I had an opportunity to fly on the plane on the last successful flight a few days before. Makes one stop to think.

br928
02-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Brackets were fabricated to attach two more LED strips to the Y carriage.

tom_fiddler
03-11-2014, 12:18 AM
"Brilliant" Idea !

Thanks. My eyes are not that great and can use all the light I can get.