PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Organizer - Rolodex Style

Burkhardt
02-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Since I started working with CNC machines some 4 years ago I purchased various bits, sometimes in bulk for smaller sizes that I like to use. I made a tray with holes to hold them but that was soon overflowing and I ended up with router bits everywhere, not knowing what was still there and sometime buying stuff again that I still had in a drawer somewhere.

So, today I made a high density bit organizer that can hold all the bits that I have. Theoretically up to 400 but practically maybe half of that. I still have to mark the ones that are in use right now (or vice verse the ones that are just inventory), maybe with a piece of tape. I think it will do the job. The moving "ammo clips" allow presenting the type of bit I need.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ngS9UOFUf80/UwVj8SISEZI/AAAAAAAAEmc/TaZ5SyKIuu8/w1370-h842-no/DSC02267.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AuwDzX2Sgrc/UwVj_D7ikwI/AAAAAAAAEmk/msjODBCggeI/w1144-h842-no/DSC02269.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-47D7trpQhz4/UwVkCB8ijUI/AAAAAAAAEms/IPk9viBZosY/w1123-h842-no/DSC02270.JPG

curtiss
02-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Can you rig it up to work with an automatic bit changer ?

Seems it should have a stepper motor on it somewhere....

genek
02-19-2014, 10:47 PM
All the bits that i have for the cnc would fit on 1/3 of one roll..

I guess i need to buy more maybe i could keep the cnc busier.

MY PROBLEM IS NOT KNOW WHERE THEY ARE IT IS NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE.

Burkhardt
02-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Can you rig it up to work with an automatic bit changer ?

Wouldn't that be cool :D

But for now I just have to take the collet wrench to swap them. ATC is a bit pricey for me. Not that I couldn't use it.

At some point I was wondering about a setup with 2 or 3 Chinese spindles and bits already loaded to swap out the entire spindle when tool changing. Looks easier to me than a complicated mechanism on the spindle shaft. Oh well, maybe next year. I don't do production work and bit changes are annoying but O.K.

mikeacg
02-20-2014, 08:34 AM
I like the look of it but I don't have the space in my CNC room so I put them on the wall. What can you tell me about the inserts? Did you make them or buy them? They would make my life a lot easier!

Mike

Burkhardt
02-20-2014, 03:35 PM
I like the look of it but I don't have the space in my CNC room so I put them on the wall. What can you tell me about the inserts? Did you make them or buy them? They would make my life a lot easier!

Mike

Not sure what you mean with the "inserts" ? But the whole thing is made from 3/4" phenolic clad Baltic. The frame has interlocking joints and the bit holder tabs are machined from the same material, see below. I tapered the thickness to allow for better spacing and flipping and slotted under the bit holes to prevent accumulation of dust and chips.

I could have done this probably in a simpler fashion but I have a tendency to overdo things....:rolleyes:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cq5V2AZvlJM/UwZmU4NolkI/AAAAAAAAEm8/UUKBt7c_5EI/w741-h444-no/BitHolder.jpg

mporter88
12-03-2014, 11:06 AM
If you posted your design I would download and and make that.
I cant think of a higher compliment except to say that ...
IF you molded that I think Rockler would stock it.

Burkhardt
12-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Hello M. (another first initial only poster like me...)

if you pm your email address I can send the file(s) to you. They are separate .crv file for the individual components as well as the bit holes. Since this was done a while ago I don't remember exactly the assignments of the file names but they are semi-self explanatory.

BTW, I am in the Pasadena/Arcadia area.

GB

chadagmsign
12-04-2014, 10:33 AM
good looking project and idea you have here!

joe
12-09-2014, 08:51 AM
GB,

I'm very impressed with your bit holder. It's a beauty.

So, please pat yourself on the back. You have our permission on a job well done. Wish I'd one of these years ago.

Joe

bleeth
12-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Pat on the back? This is the guy who has been doing some real cool work with 4 x 4 post stock.
How bout sending him a couple complimentary post holes?:D

Great seeing you hanging around here Dr. C

Burkhardt
12-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the pat....but Joe should have patented the post holes. I used the fence post mainly as material for my experiments that I happened to have on hand.

Anyway...some people asked me for the bit organizer vcarve files and I thought I might just post the link here (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29562014/Rolodex.zip) instead of sending individual emails.

Now....since I did that almost a year ago, I forgot some details but I hope the file names are kind of self-explanatory. Depending on your use you may want to modify it.

The interlocking joints at the 4 corners are designed for the thickness of the phenolic clad BB that I used. This may have to be adapted to the thickness of the chosen material, anyway.

Believe it or not, I managed to fill the magazine to capacity. I must stop buying bits.

scottp55
12-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Thanks G :)

tomc720
01-16-2015, 08:40 AM
I really like the look and what you did. I am brand new to shopbot as I just got a alpha buddy 48 and would love to make this project if you would be willing to share the cut file so I can cut one for myself????

or charge?

scottp55
01-16-2015, 09:03 AM
Tom, Go up to #12 in this thread and click Gerts Highlighted text.
I just checked the link and the .Zip file is still there available for download.