PDA

View Full Version : Countersink Bits

Gary Campbell
03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Hey Guys...
We are looking to combine drill and countersink for screws into one operation for an upcoming project that will have close to a thousand holes. After searching the web, trying a few add on countersinks from the online woodworking suppliers, I called Fred @ Centurion Tools. They make a solid carbide step drill that will do both very well in one plunge.

After trying them in my drills at 2800 and 5000 rpm, and with great results, I stuck one of them in the spindle to see how it would work. Below is a pic of 25 holes, cut at 5K thru 12 rpm in peifinished plywood. As you can see, the hole quality was good thruout.

I also tried holes in solid wood, plastic, and aluminum all with very good results. The only time I was not happy with the hole quality was when I set a very high plunge rate on the low rpm drill, which resulted in tearout at the countersink.

These bits have a 1/4" shank so that they could be used in any drill, router or spindle. I am sure they come in other and custom sizes, but I didnt discuss that with Fred.

(usual disclaimer about paid endorsements, nor am I affiliated with http://www.centuriontools.com/ ) (but will tell you when I find a good tool!)
Gary

gabepari
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I've used these with really good results. http://www.amanatool.com/boring/carbide-tipped-countersinks-55200.html

Though, for a repetitive job in the same material thickness, the stepped bit from Centurion would probably be better (no worry of the drill slipping). But for a general purpose countersink, I like the Amana since you can adjust the length of the drill for different material thicknesses (I hate going deeper into my spoiler than I have to).

I have a few carbide drills by Centurion, they work great and last WAY longer than a HSS bit.

Gabe

Gary Campbell
03-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Gabe....
Another side benefit of these bits, (as I cut more holes with them) is that they dont seem to plug at the leading edge of the countersink like the 2 piece versions I had been using. Having flutes that are continuous seems to be an advantage.
Gary