PDA

View Full Version : Franken Clock lives!!!

tlempicke
03-20-2014, 07:46 PM
About three years ago I bought a BT-48 and thought that building a clock would be a nifty first project. Not just any clock - I wanted a clock that used no clock specific parts and also that had gears that actually moved. In other words you could sit there and see the gears moving as they made the clock keep time.

This is the fourth iteration of Franken Clock. The first one had magnificent gears cut from delrin to last forever and would have been about ten feet square if I completed it. The second ran, but the noise would drive you from the room Finally I arrived here, it runs and keeps time. Nice and quiet. It is all clear plastic which turns out to be kind of mind bending when you are assembling it. If you look you will see some of my writing on the gears so that I know where to put them and how they are oriented.

One of the major things I got out of this is an admiration for the clockmakers of years ago. They had a lot of specialized knowledge and some pretty awesome skills.

genek
03-20-2014, 08:37 PM
About three years ago I bought a BT-48 and thought that building a clock would be a nifty first project. Not just any clock - I wanted a clock that used no clock specific parts and also that had gears that actually moved. In other words you could sit there and see the gears moving as they made the clock keep time.

This is the fourth iteration of Franken Clock. The first one had magnificent gears cut from delrin to last forever and would have been about ten feet square if I completed it. The second ran, but the noise would drive you from the room Finally I arrived here, it runs and keeps time. Nice and quiet. It is all clear plastic which turns out to be kind of mind bending when you are assembling it. If you look you will see some of my writing on the gears so that I know where to put them and how they are oriented.

One of the major things I got out of this is an admiration for the clockmakers of years ago. They had a lot of specialized knowledge and some pretty awesome skills.
quite nice would love to see that in wood multicolored.

Chuck Keysor
03-21-2014, 12:54 AM
Tom, that is pretty cool!!! You have demonstrated why mankind has advanced, because of the desire to fulfill the call of imagination. Thanks for posting! Chuck

Bob Eustace
03-21-2014, 03:09 AM
Tom you are a patient genius!

chiloquinruss
03-21-2014, 02:34 PM
OK where's the led's! :D Very very nice. Russ

VanIslanddan
03-21-2014, 09:31 PM
Great work! I admire the personal commitment to completing a task that you have set your mind to. Rarely do challenging tasks turn out the first time thus the challenge.

srwtlc
03-21-2014, 11:07 PM
Video of it runnin' or it didn't happen! ;)

Nice work!

tlempicke
03-22-2014, 08:22 AM
LED's are coming. I originally designed it so that each of the plastic gears that form the minute, hour, second hands had internal LED's The brushes turned out to be a real hassle unless I was to use a lathe and machine something really precision. I am now thinking to make a base with the LED.s in that.

video after the LED's Really not going to be very exciting you know!