PDA

View Full Version : Move speed causing lost comm

jTr
03-22-2014, 02:34 PM
At 2 years into my PRS Alpha, I've spent many hours troubleshooting, and eventually 99% eradicating the communication losses.

However, the issue is slowly creeping back. Yesterday, ran a surfacing file and spent an hour re-starting due to lost communication. It got to a point where it wouldn't run 4 feet before crashing, even with dust collector shut off.
Then it occurred to me: About 3 months ago, I amp'd up my move speed from 4 to 5 ips. Throttled back to 4 and was able to successfully complete the surfacing.

Questions: Can the USB cable originally supplied with the 'bot be deteriorating through age and wear? Wondering if it would help to swap out with a heavier duty gold contact version, or should I be focused on control computer. I do not use a USB Hub, as it caused more problems and reduced efficiency of data transfer in speed tests. Currently enjoying 77% efficiency, which should be fine according to specs. Control computer has not been changed, upgraded or connected to the net since new.

Any suggestions, other than drop move speeds back and live with it?

jeff

jerry_stanek
03-22-2014, 03:39 PM
I think you have more problems than lost comm. I can surface my 2008 PRS Standard at 8+ IPS

ssflyer
03-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Jeff,

What version of the control software are you running? Has it also not been upgraded for 2 years?

If so, it may be time to upgrade, the newer versions appear to allow much faster move rates and seems more reliable. I had an occasional stop before, but it's been a long time since it's happened to me, on my PRS Alpha.

tri4sale
03-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Questions: Can the USB cable originally supplied with the 'bot be deteriorating through age and wear? Wondering if it would help to swap out with a heavier duty gold contact version, or should I be focused on control computer.

Yes, cables can wear out over time, usually seen them wear from flexing and bends, and if it gets hot cold hot cold they can start to fail. Nice thing is it is a cheap fix to swap out and see if a new cable fixes the problem. I've corrected a few printer problems by swapping out and putting a new USB cable on them.