PDA

View Full Version : 8 wire stepper motor wireing

glenn
01-12-2009, 03:52 PM
I have 4 steppers motors each have 8 wires How can they be wired to a shope-bot controller. I have a diagram of unipolar,bipoler and series. The one i'm cosidering is to tape off blackand yellow,red white or tape off orange,green,brown,and blue. This I understand. My question is. In what order are the wire in the plug? example Top of plug black,yellow red white Thanks

glenn
01-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks David For the information on the stepper. http://www.3xmotion.com/2008/stepper_motors.pdf

richards
01-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Glenn,

You didn't specify which motor you were using, so, I'm using the data sheet for the 57HSM series of motors as a reference.

With 8-wires, you have three different possible ways to wire the motor; parallel, series or half-coil if you're using a Gecko G20x stepper driver.

To wire the motor parallel:
Connect the Black and Yellow wires to the A coil connection.
Connect the Blue and Red wires to the /A coil connection.
Connect the Green and Purple wires to the B coil connection.
Conntect the Brown and White wires to the /B coil connection.

To wire the motor series:
Connect the Black wire to the A coil connection.
Connect the Yellow and Blue wires together.
Connect the Red wire to the /A coil connection.
Connect the Green wire to the B coil connection.
Connect the Brown and Purple wires together.
Connect the White wire to the /B coil connection.

To wire the motor half-coil:
Connect the Black wire to the A coil connection.
Connect the Blue wire to the /A coil connection.
Tape off the Yellow wire.
Tape off the Red wire.
Connect the Green wire to the B coil connection.
Connect the Brown wire to the /B coil connection.
Tape off the Purple wire.
Tape off the White wire.

Note again that the wiring that I've given you works only with the Gecko G20x stepper drivers. The Alpha motors and drivers must be used together. The pre-Gecko stepper drivers are something that I know nothing about.

There are other considerations that you must be totally familiar with. You MUST use a current limit resistor with a Gecko stepper driver. The value of that resistor depends on the stepper driver and possibly the jumper setting of that driver. Go to the Geckodriver web site and download the instructions for the stepper driver that you have before selecting a current limit resistor. The general formula is: 47 X Amps / ( 7 - Amps) = resistance in K. A different formula is used if the stepper driver has a jumper that is set to disable automatic current reduction.

You must provide power to the stepper motors. The general guide for the MAXIMUM voltage is: 32 X SQRT(inductance). A motor wired parallel or half-coil can only handle 1/2 the voltage of a motor wired in series.

A motor wired series takes 1/2 the current of a motor wired in parallel. A motor wired half-coil takes 0.7X the current of a motor wired in parallel.

A motor wired in parallel and configured to work at its maximum current is going to run extremely hot. A motor wired half-coil will run about 20-degrees centigrade cooler than a motor wired in parallel. A motor wired in series will run the coolest.

A motor wired either series or parallel will develop full torque. A motor wired half-coil will develop about 0.70X the torque of a motor wired in parallel.

A motor wired in series will have very limited speed. A motor wired either parallel or half-coil will have excellent torque/speed characteristics.

YOU have to decide how you're going to use your machine. After you have decided how you're going to use the machine, you must decide which wiring method will produce the results that you need.

For general reference, I wire my motors half-coil to give the highest speed along with 70% of the torque and much less heat than a motor wired parallel.

Because of the rapid drop-off in torque, I don't wire motors using the series connection.

glenn
01-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Mike THANKS My motor is a 90HS65UE053 glenn

glenn
01-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Sorry Mike I have Gecko 203v

glenn
01-16-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm going with the half coil. when you say connect the Black A ,Blue -A ,Green B, Brown -B do you mean to connect to the 4 male pins in the back of the controler? Top being 1 and bottom being 4. I see where the 90HS motor uses different color arrangments What would they be Red A, Yellow -A, Blue C, Black -C is this correct???

richards
01-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Glenn,

The Gecko stepper drivers have twelve terminals, labeled 1 through 12. Each terminal also has its function silk-screened onto the aluminum case. Terminals 3 through 6 are where you connect the wires from the stepper motors to the stepper driver. (Of course you will have to use an extension cable between the motors and the stepper drivers. It is recommended that the extension cable be shielded with 16-gauge or 18-gauge high quality stranded conductors. Lighter gauge wire can be used, but there will be a voltage drop because of the length of wire needed in a CNC router.) You'll need to use a multi-meter to trace the connections between the Gecko and the actual motor - unless you have a reliable wiring diagram that shows you EXACTLY how to connect the motors.

I could not find any information about the 90HS65UE053 stepper motor, so you'll have to carefully compare the information that you have against the wiring diagram that I listed in a post above.

(Sorry about the delay in responding. Most new posts are highlighted. Somehow I must have missed your question on January 16th.)