PDA

View Full Version : Cut Sign Shop Vinyl w/ Drag Knife Bit for CNC Router

eaglesplsh
06-07-2008, 01:25 PM
We’ve developed a drag knife bit for CNC routers that fits in any 1/4" collet, just like a regular end mill. Instead of cutting material like a normal bit, it allows your CNC machine to cut adhesive backed sign vinyl, just like a professional sign shop.

o Create lettering, logos, and graphics for cars/trucks
o Make professional quality signs, banners, magnets
o Use vinyl stencils/masks to paint models + etch glass

For those who aren’t already familiar with it, sign vinyl is basically industrial strength contact paper. It comes in 100s of standard colors as well as specialty films that are translucent, reflective, holographic, even glow in the dark. The vinyl is designed to be cut into lettering and graphics by computer. Using a simple "transfer tape" process to keep all the parts aligned, the letters/graphics can then be transferred from their wax paper backing onto any smooth nonporous surface – metal, plastic, glass, painted wood, etc...

Our Drag Knife Bit holds a tiny carbide knife (the same blade that is used in many professional sign plotters) that swivels as your router drags it around the profile of your design (the router/spindle is turned off.) Inside the bit, pressure on the blade is precisely controlled, allowing the knife to cut through the vinyl without cutting through the wax paper backing. (The pressure is adjustable, so you can cut thin and thick vinyl, including sandblast mask.)

We’re selling the bits as a package that includes detailed instructions for use along with the drag knife bit and one 45 degree carbide blade. (The same blade is used in many professional sign plotters so it’s easy to find replacements at low cost.)

I've included some pictures below... you can also find pictures taken by Bill Palumbo in his Camp Shopbot - New York blog and Flickr pages

Please see our web site for more information:
www.WidgetWorksUnlimited.com (http://www.WidgetWorksUnlimited.com)

eaglesplsh
06-07-2008, 01:31 PM
A note to avoid any potential confusion - We're in the process of rebuilding our web site to better serve our customers. Our web site currently contains our contact info as well as a link to our ebay ads. While we work to get the website back up to full speed, please use the link to check our ebay ads for more info/pictures on the product discussed in the post above. You can purchase the CNC Vinyl Cutter through our ebay ads or by calling/emailing us using the contact info shown on our website.

myxpykalix
06-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Russ,
This might be a dumb question but it won't be the first i've asked...If I wanted to lay some vinyl on my table and cut it how do i set up the blade to cut so that it won't cut too deep or go thru the backing? If i were doing a piece of wood I would give the toolpath a depth but i don't do that here.
Is it more like cutting a 2D path with a 0 depth and the mechanism in the drag knife compensates for table irregularities?

knight_toolworks
06-08-2008, 01:42 AM
weight or a spring to control the pressure.

eaglesplsh
06-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Jack - We love the enthusiasm ShopBotter’s show towards our products, and we’re always willing to answer questions – “dumb” or otherwise

We include a full set of directions with the bit that covers setting Z heights, feed rates, how to attach the vinyl to your spoil board, etc…

Basically, you’re creating a tool path to machine at a constant depth. The actual depth of cut (through the vinyl but NOT through the wax paper) is controlled inside the drag knife bit. (The depth of cut is adjustable to allow for thinner/thicker vinyl.) The bit also compensates for table irregularities automatically.

ron_moorehead
06-08-2008, 01:48 PM
I looked at your web site and the link to e-bay does not work and could not find you on e-bay also. How much does it cost?

cnc_works
06-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Links worked for me. eBay price shows $129. I wonder how much unevenness the blade can accommodate and still cut the vinyl and not the backing.

Donn

kerri_b
07-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Newbe here! I've read your post with great interest! I am a glass and mirror etcher with a great big interest in the workings of a shopbot..so much that I am planning a purchase...but, I am interested in your vinyl blades. I was also considering a dedicated vinyl cutter...but, if shop bot can do it, why buy a second machine?
Kerri

bryson
07-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Kerri. I purchased a vinyle cutter from Russ (WidgetWorks) about a month ago. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it works. I have cut some very detailed designs just to trip it up but so far, it has cut everything just fine.
Bryson

kerri_b
07-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks Bryson for your input... I am thinking that I will purchase a vinyl cutter also. I will be using it a lot since I will be doing glass etching/blasting also. I will be interested in using the bot for thick mask cutting so, I am thinking that the widgetworks purchase will be coming soon as well.
Kerri

mjindustry
02-18-2009, 09:20 AM
HI,

These were available through Shopbot under "accessories". I don't see it there anymore.

Can we get some more feedback on the quality of these? Thinking of getting one.

Thank you...

billp
02-18-2009, 09:27 AM
http://www.shopbottools.com/spindles.htm
Those accessories are now under "routers/spindles/bits"