PDA

View Full Version : bird houses

Kyle Stapleton
04-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Made some easy to assemble bird house kit for my students to help some 5th grade classes make.

There are the prototypes, my class will be cutting 3-4 sheets of these the next few days.

myxpykalix
04-20-2014, 01:11 AM
Shouldn't you have a little dowel below the hole for them to land on?:confused:
good job!

Kyle Stapleton
04-20-2014, 08:33 AM
I thought so myself but, not in the official bird house plan PDF I was seen from the costumer.

Brian Harnett
04-20-2014, 10:11 AM
There are no perches sticking out of holes in trees, perches give predators a nice handle though.

myxpykalix
04-20-2014, 08:31 PM
There are no perches sticking out of holes in trees DOH! makes sense:D
I seem to recall as a kid that there was one particular species of bird that needed a perch and i looked back in my old pictures that i took as a boyscout and found this picture.:rolleyes:

gc3
04-20-2014, 08:55 PM
1/2" ply cheaper can still use fasteners slight slope on "roof" and add overhang to sides make "back" wider than roof...

that design a little ugly...

students need to learn design aesthetic also

Kyle Stapleton
04-20-2014, 09:13 PM
No design work (other then making them snap together for easy assemble) customer gave us the Wildlife approved plans they wanted us to make, and we did.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel, the customer went through a great deal of work talking to many people to find the design THEY wanted. Who are we to tell them they did a bad job?

stump
04-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Hole size is important when building a wren house. It needs to be small enough so sparrows cannot enter and use the house.

Sparrows are also the reason you don't want a perch. The sparrows will land on it and block the entrance, even though the opening is too small for them to enter.

Learned about it last Christmas, my sons made a couple wren houses for Christmas gifts.