PDA

View Full Version : give me ideas???

JimFabLabFulton
06-22-2014, 09:19 AM
I discovered a solid piece of mahogany 6in x 10 in x 5 feet that was purchased by the former shop teacher. I am not sure what to do with this??

Any ideas.

bleeth
06-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Obviously a sculpture would be very cool.
Beyond that it depends much on the meaning of "mahogany". If this thing is really good South American Mahog of some kind resawing it to make a traditional secretary desk would be a great project.

genek
06-22-2014, 07:12 PM
If you fail to come up with a good project send it to me.. I have a project of clocks that would work great for.

twelchPTM
06-23-2014, 08:02 AM
i have several pieces of very pretty lumber stashed all over the shop. I am waiting for them to tell me what they want to be...

scottp55
06-23-2014, 08:12 AM
That's how I do it Thomas-I think I must be going deaf OR they are pleading the 5'th :) The piles are staying the same size or growing!

kurt_rose
06-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Same here. I have a 4" thick 8' slab of black walnut I've been staring at for 5 years now. :D

genek
06-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Three things can occur saving wood.
1. Some time after your death someone will throw it out or sale it and get rich.
2. the bugs have a great feast.

3. it just sits there and takes up valuable room and is of no use for anyone.

Quit falling in love with a piece of wood. Make some money off of it. Give it away.. or do something with it rather than let it take up space.

scottp55
06-23-2014, 12:27 PM
(Eugene) HERETIC!! :) As soon as I gave it away--I'd find a perfect use for it, and then I'd go look for a piece like that to buy and NEVER find it. Usually only highly figured or exceptionally wide boards for me. Plain vanilla hardwood is fair game for any crazy project, Even wedges because sheet goods are so hard to handle from the wheelchair.

genek
06-23-2014, 12:34 PM
(Eugene) HERETIC!! :) As soon as I gave it away--I'd find a perfect use for it, and then I'd go look for a piece like that to buy and NEVER find it. Usually only highly figured or exceptionally wide boards for me. Plain vanilla hardwood is fair game for any crazy project, Even wedges because sheet goods are so hard to handle from the wheelchair.
Scott give it to Kirk so that you can find a use for it and get it back ... lol...

seriously guys saving few is not bad, but watch it ends up getting buried and forgotten.

scottp55
06-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Give Claro, Quilted,and 16" live edge cherry slabs away!! Triple heretic!! :)
Saturday found a Quilted short (that looks like bubbling maple syrup) I forgot I had while searching for something else, and it was like finding a $100 bill in your ski jacket pocket from the year before you forgot you had! :)

scottp55
06-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Like I said ---some stuff is special.
"When they pry it from my cold dead hands":)

bleeth
06-23-2014, 02:29 PM
"I leave it in the rack until it tells me what to make"

Sounds like the James Krenov school of furniture making to me.

There is a big difference between standard woods used for much of our projects and the real beauties that cross our paths occassionally. Those beauties should not be sawn up into little bits and pieces as if they were anything. All woodworking is not the same, although all who work with wood for a living are working in a wonderful trade.

As forest space, particularly slow growth areas, become more and more limited due to loss of habitat, pollution affects, oversize fires from mismanagement and climate change, etc. Those pieces of wood that grow with the special charecteristics that us furniture guys know and love so much should be treasured all the more.

Just my 2 cents.

JimFabLabFulton
06-24-2014, 11:23 AM
I just cannot imagine why a shop teacher would buy such a piece of wood, it came from a hardwood company and still has the tag.

hh_woodworking
06-24-2014, 01:32 PM
I bet it was bought for a fire place mantle. May have been requested by the student then not used. I have had that happen to me before. I now make them pay 1/2 up front on special order material.

twelchPTM
06-27-2014, 08:37 AM
that certainly is beautiful wood....