PDA

View Full Version : Spindle acting erratically

Cloudserver
07-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Need a little help here. Sorry for being long winded...I've had my Desktop for a couple weeks and have cut a few simple 2D pieces and a couple signs and all worked well. I thought I'd step it up a notch and try a 3D piece. I watched TJ's training session on Partworks 3D. I found the yacht sample and loaded it into PartWorks 3D and went through the steps and created my rough and finish toolpaths. I zeroed x,y to proximity switches and z to the top of the material. I ran the rough toolpath and that went fine. I changed bits and rezeroed z to the top of the material. Partway through the cutting, the spindle stopped moving in x,y,z directions but the x,y,z settings in the control software were still changing along with the line numbers. The bit was still spinning. I stopped the program with the spacebar. I tried rerunning the finish toolpath from the beginning and the same thing happened but at a different place in the program. I read something about static from a dust collection system might be a possible issue so I removed my vaccuum hose from the Shopbot, screwed down a new piece of wood and started over. After rebooting the computer and shutting down and restarting the Shopbot, the same thing happened during the finish toolpath at yet a different place in the program. I retarted it again and it went further, but this time it was almost done and the spindle stopped spinning but it kept moving in the x,y directions and snapped the bit. I'm a bit confused and concerned about how the spindle is acting so weird and also bummed out that it broke a bit. Could there be something wrong with the machine? I thought I'd try here first to see if anyone else has seen issues like this before I phone Shopbot.
Thanks for any help you can give me!

scottp55
07-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Dick, It sounds like you did everything right, but every time I think of a suggestion(file/computer/Usb/comms/loose connection) you had a a different problem. Could be 2 or more problems at the same time.
I was just getting ready to e-mail Shopbot myself for a spacebar/mouse/S stopping problem. Twice in 2 days I've Stopped a file. First time it took 30 seconds for it to stop-It stopped IN the cut without raising, and when I pressed Quit, the spindle started again. Second time- motion stopped-spindle kept running-"Stopping" kept blinking-shut spindle power off- waited 2 minutes/went to get camera/took picture-Total 5 minutes with "Stopping" blinking with no Stop/Hit box. So shut down and rebooted.
Time to call Shopbot!

scottp55
07-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Oops. Pic.

scottp55
07-11-2014, 08:13 AM
I just gave Dianne at Shopbot a heads up and a link to the thread. She usually passes straight to Tech. I figured a few minutes reading it would let them get their questions in a row for when you call and save time explaining.

Brady Watson
07-11-2014, 08:16 AM
It sounds to me like you are having communication problems between your PC and your Desktop machine. I would call SB Support for suggestions.

-B

Cloudserver
07-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the responses! I haven't had a chance to call Shopbot yet. Hopefully this weekend.

scottp55
07-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Franks e-mailed me twice already so crawling around checking connections. ET=17, so that's not it.
Dick, Frank forwarded e-mail to Nate who has the weekend duty so he'll be expecting your call. Double check your connections and look at USB Speed test thread and run a Packet ET so you have a # for Nate. :)

scottp55
07-11-2014, 06:31 PM
My problem seems to have been a bad hub that I used to extend keyboard/mouse USB so I could move Desktop around. I removed it.
Response to keyboard/mouse stop is back to about 2 seconds, and an aircut with a lot of multi-axis moves was paused and resumed/quit a dozen times with no problems.

steelhead
07-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Hey Dick,
I have had my SB for about 6 years now. After running it for about 4 years one day I had the exact same issue as you only cupeled with the spindle only wanting to run, or not run at specific rpm/ frequencies. My solution was to purchase a RFI filter to clean the incoming power. I installed it right next to my control box (that part is important). I ran the power for control box, VFD, and my computer off of it. (mine are centrally located). It worked great and my spindle is much quiter now. If you have added or changed any electricals in your shop that may be your root couse of your issue, however the RFI should fix it. In my case I haden't addded or deleted anything electrical. I believed it to be something the power company changed with my incoming service. New transformer somehere or whatever....I am attaching a picture of my RFI for your refrence.

Cloudserver
07-13-2014, 07:36 PM
Scott- Thanks for giving Shopbot a heads up about my issue. Unfortunately a family issue has prevented me from contacting them (or playing with my machine). I'm hoping things quiet down soon and I can get back to my shop. Glad to hear that you have your issue straightened out.

Ben- Thanks for the tip. Nothing's changed in my shop but I do have a UPS that I can bring out and plug the Desktop and computer into. That should clean up any power gremlins that are hiding out.

steelhead
07-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Dick,
All your USB will do is boost your signal from your computer to your control box by about 20%. It will not clean up the cycling of your phases. Only a power conditioner/ RFI will do that. RFI stands for Radio Frequency Interfierence. Everything from your toaster at home to a space shuttle causes/ changes RFI fields. A lightbulb can change the RFI in your shop. I don't mean to sound like some space alien, but the reality is that everything metallic, electric, or magnetic, has its own (field) and alters RFI's. This may be more info than necessary, but I enjoy teaching and helping when I can. If you need further help feel free to contact me if you need help. Send me a personal message or email me @ ben@stairsmiths.com with your contact info and I'll call you.

Cloudserver
07-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Update...I swapped out my laptop with a different one and all seems fine after running an aircut with that same file 3 times. Haven't run it while actually cutting wood yet but my hopes are high. It was failing consistently when aircutting with the other laptop.
Thanks again for everyone's help!