myxpykalix
09-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Hey! Teacher!...leave those kids alone....:D

POPS 64
09-06-2014, 07:13 PM
It's a classic , huh Jack !

Brian Harnett
09-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Nice, what did you use for the edge light?

genek
09-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Jack don't worry it is just another brick in the wall. lol

POPS 64
09-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Brian it's a cold cathode light I use for my lithophanes. My led's weren't here yet and I couldn't wait so I cut a pocket were the led strip should go.

myxpykalix
09-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Jeff.....this was my favorite version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGyCT7XNwEw :eek:

POPS 64
09-07-2014, 07:13 PM
That was hilarious Jack , I never herd that version .

genek
09-07-2014, 08:14 PM
That was hilarious Jack , I never herd that version .
Jeff that version was written about a serial killer in Chicago. (John W. Gacy) He killed young men and buried them in his crawl space. Not sure what year.. Goggle John W. Gacy.. He was a mean man.

myxpykalix
09-08-2014, 01:49 AM
I lived right outside of chicago, this was around the time i graduated in 72 and they kept pulling bodies out till they just decided to tear the house down in order to get all of them:eek:

Isn't it funny (or not!) how a thread can veer off course, just like a conversation?:confused:

What was the size of your cold cathode light bulb you used? I used to be able to buy 6" ones but haven't seen any in a long time and all i've bought is the 12" sizes.

POPS 64
09-08-2014, 06:34 AM
Jack that was a 8" bulb I have 6" to the site I use is the best I've dealt with . If your doing something new they'll take the time and walk threw it with you to make sure your getting what you need and they'll match prices . And carry all sizes 4,6,8, on up. Also everything for L E D ' s

www.coolerguys.com

steve_g
09-08-2014, 07:21 AM
If any of you guys are using CCFL or EEFL bulbs in any quantity, here’s the Chinese manufacturer of most of what you are buying stateside. They are really nice folks to deal with. When I was buying for a company I sold, their minimum quantities for bulbs made to your specification was 1000pcs.
SG
http://www.cn-ovl.com/product.aspx?classId=116 (http://www.cn-ovl.com/product.aspx?classId=116)

POPS 64
09-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Acrylic is getting addictive .:D

genek
09-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Acrylic is getting addictive .:D
Jeff are you sniffing the dust or glue. lol... Just joking.. looking good. Post about how you went about doing it so others might try.

thanks

POPS 64
09-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Eugene I did mine with 60 degree v-bit lowest rpm and about 110 ipm and a depth of .03 I've been following the vetric forum for 5-6 weeks reading everyone's posts comparing numbers and different bits used and the quality of what I've seen . Until I finely came up with what I felt comfortable with . And have had good luck so far . The next move will be a diamond drag engraving bit . Anyone has any questions I'll be glad to share what I've learned so far . Wish I had aspire to try 3-D . someday :D

genek
09-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Eugene I did mine with 60 degree v-bit lowest rpm and about 110 ipm and a depth of .03 I've been following the vetric forum for 5-6 weeks reading everyone's posts comparing numbers and different bits used and the quality of what I've seen . Until I finely came up with what I felt comfortable with . And have had good luck so far . The next move will be a diamond drag engraving bit . Anyone has any questions I'll be glad to share what I've learned so far . Wish I had aspire to try 3-D . someday :D
Jeff you are doing good. Thanks for the info. I am into wood only right now. However others on here need guidance and suggestion on what they can do and directions of where they need to go with their machines. That is why I suggested you share info... I have developed two new items and I am getting ready for two shows next month. I do use acrylic with the laser and bottom lite the image. Keep up the post and the good work.

POPS 64
09-18-2014, 07:29 PM
new acrylic :D

POPS 64
09-19-2014, 05:02 PM
:Dhere are my new signs I switched over to a Diamond drag bit lot nicer lines.:D

zeykr
09-19-2014, 11:56 PM
What toolpath type and settings are you using with the diamond drag?

POPS 64
09-20-2014, 06:22 AM
Ken on these two I used a profile toolpath depth of cut was .008 , 70 IPM ,
and about 1/4 compression on the bit . Let me know if you need anything else.
Jeff:D

POPS 64
10-20-2014, 04:45 PM
New acrylic for my wife. Jeff :D

t_vandemark
10-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Wow, that looks extremely crisp. Good job, i like it.

Steve Wonser
10-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Jeff your pieces are awesome! I'm really new to CNC, but I really want to try it. From what I have read from you and others a diamond drag bit is the way to go. Can you share where you got yours?

Thanks,
Steve

POPS 64
10-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Steve , the bit is from Ebay , 1/4" Dia. Diamond Drag Engraving Bit,
stainless body , Taig , Sherline , Cnc mini mill $79.00 seller BD Tools
Yes this is a excellent bit I really don't see the other bits at close to $200.00 doing any better job . And they sell replacement tips . You get one let me know if you need any info and check estreetplastics.com for material if there's nothing around you. Well here's a couple from today. Jeff :D

scottp55
10-22-2014, 06:47 AM
Darn Jeff, Just as you were getting into Craftsman Style---You go and get hooked on acrylic:( Great work!:)
Your Indian reminds me of my Grandfather. Indian was a swear word, and his first Harley was on display in his Harley shop(Schott's) and had wooden wheels, a slung leather saddle on springs, and one lung. He used to tell of going from Lewiston to Boston in 1 day!!! "No problem. Once you get to Portland....TAR ROADS ALL THE WAY!!:)"

POPS 64
10-22-2014, 07:08 AM
Ya Scott this acrylic is addicting , I have a stack of the quarter sawn oak looking at me . Once the snow flies I'am thinking a craftsman clock just need to find a design I like . Jeff :D

Herb Holmes
10-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Steve , the bit is from Ebay , 1/4" Dia. Diamond Drag Engraving Bit,
stainless body , Taig , Sherline , Cnc mini mill $79.00 seller BD Tools
Yes this is a excellent bit I really don't see the other bits at close to $200.00 doing any better job . And they sell replacement tips . You get one let me know if you need any info and check estreetplastics.com for material if there's nothing around you.

I have one of BD tools Dia. Drag bits , and agree they are good bits at a good price , estreetplastics are good for supplies too .

http://i.imgur.com/xl0KSlr.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/eQZXp9N.jpg?1

POPS 64
10-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Nice work ,clocks look great. Jeff

Steve Wonser
10-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Hey Jeff, thanks for the information!

I just ordered one of the diamond drag bits from BD Tools. Then I headed over to estreetplastics to order some 3/8" cast acrylic, but then couldn't decide what size to get.

What typical sizes are you using? Are you cutting down larger sizes?

How are you lighting them. From what I've read it seems like LEDs are commonly used. Can you share what you like to use and any sources you might have?

Thanks again,
Steve

POPS 64
10-25-2014, 05:50 AM
Steve , I started out making 6" x 6" , now I mostly make 8" x 8" , but now I'am set up to do anything from 4" x 6" to 12" x 12" on the hold down jig I made so I don't need my vacuum table anymore. With etching for the cost I stick with 1/4" acrylic really the thicker stuff is for doing 3-D but it's mostly preference . And for 3-D you need aspire and I don't have it yet. Led's are the way to go for lighting and there's no better price than ebay. I've checked everywhere and you can't beat China's prices. And they are very simple to work with , you can buy connectors for everything or if your comfortable with soldering you can go that route . And for the wall transformers watch for the bundles the best deal is 12 for $37.00 that is a steal. And stay away from the waterproof led's , And I get the 60 light a meter not the 30 , And I use the 3528
led's . Then you either order single color's or rgb's with remotes for color changing . Jeff :D

Xray
10-25-2014, 11:12 AM
Most guys get sheets and cut them to size with a table saw. Can be cut on CNC as well but thats a bit awkward and unnecessary, unless you don't have a table say. Buying a sheet [say 4x4'] is cheaper and allows you to do custom sizes anytime you like, though it is good to fall in a grove and just do a few sizes. I tend to do mostly 10x10" though I have done larger and smaller using both 3/8 and 1/4, not to mention plexi mirror.
Might pay to look around locally for a plexiglass supplier, may have one and not even know it.
Far as lighting its pretty simple to make the bases and install the lighting but of course you must have all the pieces in place, unfortunately you can't walk into radio shack and get what you need, all pretty much online.
There are threads here concerning that, here is another at vectric including base design and sources for material http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?t=17065

For example LED's you would be looking for this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121058740608?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Single color http://www.coolerguys.com/ledstrip.html
controllers http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-44Key-IR-Remote-Controller-For-RGB-5050-3528-LED-Light-Strip/360618870301
plugs http://www.ebay.com/itm/190829646956?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Steve Wonser
10-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Jeff & Doug thanks for the information! I should be ready to give this a try pretty soon. My drag bit and acrylic should arrive in a week or so. The LEDs, power supplies and controllers are probably on a slow boat from China, but I won't need them for a while anyway. I'm hoping to make some stuff for Christmas presents so I have some time.

Can you guys let me know the settings you are using for the drag bit on acrylic? I have a ShopBot Desktop and the VCarve Pro software they provide with it.

Thanks,
Steve

Xray
10-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Plug guy is USA based if you ordered from my link, unfortunately not many US options for the rest.
Myself, there is a tool to chose from called "engrave", I chose that and pretty much go with the defaults. Vbit works too [of course no power is applied with drag bits]. To actually chose a drag bit you have to use quick engrave feature, since I prefer standard pockets I never use it.

Steve Wonser
10-27-2014, 04:54 PM
I forgot one more thing, that is how do I zero the bit if it doesn't conduct current because of the diamond?

Here is a link to a KickStarter project called "BULBING: a Magical Lamp Design | Light up your life!" that my son just sent me. The key to these designs are the 3D look of a wire frame drawing, otherwise they are exactly what you guys are doing. Here is the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studiocheha/bulbing-a-magical-lamp-design-light-up-your-life

Xray
10-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Easy, I just lower it to the material in a place that will be out of view/scrap and just slowly lower it until it compresses a bit then zero it there.
Some guys use a slip of paper under the bit, when the paper will no longer move because of pressure from the bit zero it there.

I have become so used to doing this that I haven't used my zero plate in months, diamond bit or not.

POPS 64
10-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Some B-day gifts from the shop today. Jeff :D

genek
10-28-2014, 06:15 PM
very nice work..

Steve Wonser
10-28-2014, 10:39 PM
Looking good Jeff! Thanks for the inspiration.

kurt_rose
11-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Just curious. When using the diamond drag knife what diameter tool are you guys imputing when toolpathing?

Xray
11-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Drag bit, not knife.

I use the "engrave" tool found in vectric tool database, have used vbit as well, playing around with a few settings.

POPS 64
11-23-2014, 05:32 PM
I set mine up as 1/4" shank , 90 degree tip as a engraving tool . I'am not sure what the newer software is like I'am running PW 2.5 from 07. and is pretty basic.

Well got started on some x-mas gifts today. These are all 8" x 8" x .25
and lighting will be different when done these are a couple bases I use
to check pieces as they come off the machine . Jeff :D