PDA

View Full Version : New desktop owner

banjomanwv
09-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Just bought one I have to pickup next week at Shopbots location. My questions is this, I purchased the Vacuum with it and when I bolt down the HDPE sheet to cut my vacuum grid in do I need to level it first and do you need to level anything you use before using it?

scottp55
09-16-2014, 10:26 PM
T, Congrats! First I've heard of that being a factory option though.
TJ did give a tutorial on custom HDPE vacuum jigs a few months ago that you can download and watch here
http://www.shopbottools.com/mSupport/tutorials.htm

Wondering what was included in the package?
People who do Vac hold downs, will probably chime in. At some point in the process either the underlayment for the HDPE or the HDPE itself would have to be surfaced I would think.
Guys?
You'll love it T! :)
TJ has a class tomorrow at 1PM est and you can usually ask questions both before and after class. Or just call support or Dianne in Sales and she'll get you straight to the right person to ask.
TJ's class info here.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20255

Welcome.
scott

tlempicke
09-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Something to think about
I bought a tabletop machine last Christmas. In using it I discovered that the T Slot top on it allows all kinds of jigging possibilities, so much so that I gave up on the idea of making a vacuum setup.
As a for instance. I made the miniature grandfather clock project that Vectric has on its site. All of the pieces start with a similar sized piece of wood. I spent about ten minutes and made up a spoilboard that had a fence and a wedge setup to hold the workpiece. I then located it on the table and trued it. Using the C3 command I zeroed out the carriage and then moved it to the extreme left/down position on the jig and used an engraving tool to scribe a line there. By noting the coordinates I now can find that position in seconds.
So now in less than 30 seconds I can clamp a piece of wood and put the tool at the same exact place each time.
Since then I have come up with several quick and dirty spoil boards that I can plop down and use in minutes.
I like the T Slot table so much that I am converting my Buddy to a T Slot setup as Andrew Coholic shows in his tutorial on this site.

banjomanwv
09-21-2014, 12:20 AM
Scott, I think ill be getting one of the first ones? But when I called and asked Ryan said he had just came up with one and it was around 800 bucks I think

scottp55
09-21-2014, 09:12 AM
T, Make sure and take some pics of what it comes with and how it's set up!
I, for one, would be very interested in the pump and fittings they included!!
Do you know if it uses a vacuum reservoir?
Congrats again. You watching the tracking site for shipping like I did?:)

banjomanwv
09-24-2014, 08:10 PM
I picked it up tday in person, im only about 1 45 min from them. Was in and out in 10 min. getting ready to get it unloaded in a sec after I install some stuff on my computer for it. its a pump, some fitting and a piece of HDPE like they use in the video.

scottp55
09-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Congrats:)
Take your time and do it right. Read all the little boxes when doing the computer install as well! Get rid of as much of the garbage on your computer as well! Take Pics of vac stuff too as that's a new option and we haven't seen it.
Enjoy!
scott