PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Maine Camp ShopBot

Camp ShopBot
09-24-2014, 07:46 PM
The Maine Camp ShopBot will be Saturday, November 1, 2014 at the Maine College of Art's Woodworking and Furniture Design Department in Portland, ME. The day will include topic-based presentations, Q&As, and the infamous Show and Tell Session.

Camps are free to attend and lunch is included.

Our host, Professor Matt Hutton from the Woodworking and Furniture Design Department, has his furniture design undergrads learning how to use their PRS alpha. This will be a great Camp for teachers and we should have a handful of students attending as well.

Attendees are encouraged to bring ShopBot projects to present during the Show-and-Tell session. Or if you do client commissions, bring photos to share. The Show and Tell session is a great way to learn from each other and show off your own projects.

Saturday Schedule:
8:30-9am: Morning sign-ing/Meet & Greet
9am-noon: Morning presentations
Noon- 1pm: Lunch on us
1pm-2pm: Show and Tell session
2pm- 4pm: Afternoon presentations
The day usually wraps up between 4-5pm.

Registration is highly encouraged. This helps us and our host with planning.

Maine Camp ShopBot Registration (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1epYD58EDykKotA-C6xLIXIFj3dathmnmXB1ZRdBppZE/viewform) - click on link to register

Details such as parking options and specific room location will be posted soon.

Feel free to email Campshopbot at gmail dot com if you have any questions.

scottp55
09-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Whoopee! And only 25 miles away:)

pappybaynes
09-25-2014, 10:58 AM
I'll be there!
Dick Baynes

Camp ShopBot
09-30-2014, 10:26 AM
UPDATE:

John Murphy from All Star Adhesives will do a guest presentation on their products at the Maine Camp.

http://www.allstaradhesives.com

scottp55
09-30-2014, 10:35 AM
That's GREAT! Just about to get into vacuum jigging here. Good timing! :)

scottp55
10-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Anybody else besides Dick? Dad and Kirk are driving 5 hours plus and would love to meet other ShopBot people.
Well, Me too:)

Camp ShopBot
10-26-2014, 08:27 PM
We have about 30+ people signed up for next Saturday's Camp, and a handful of students. So this will be a great Camp!

Some updates/details:
Parking: There is a parking garage located behind MECA between Free St. & Spring St. It is $1.75/hour and no more than $12 a day.
- Here is a google map of its location- https://goo.gl/maps/oGd9p

Schedule: Saturday morning sign-in and 'meet & greet' is between 8:30- 9AM. Coffee and doughnuts are provided. We will begin promptly at 9AM so please plan accordingly with finding parking, the correct room, etc. Lunch is included around noon and the day will wrap up between 4-5pm.

Additional details: The entrance to MECA has a security check-in desk. They will have a list of all attendees' names. You should not have any trouble as they know this event is happening, even if your name happens to not be on the list. Look for 'Camp ShopBot' signs directing you to Room 120.

A few things you may want to bring are a notepad + pencil/pen or tablet computer, business cards, and camera.

AND REMEMBER YOUR SHOW AND TELL PROJECTS!!!:D

See you November 1!

gbradley
10-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Is anybody from Shop Bot going to be at the Camp up in Maine??

scottp55
10-29-2014, 02:29 PM
George, Heard that Sallye had this one:)
Look forward to meeting someone from AllStar as just about to try Vac.
scott

gbradley
10-29-2014, 02:41 PM
That is great Scott we will have our 18 X 24 demo grid table with us and some gasketing tricks.

scottp55
10-29-2014, 02:51 PM
I LIKE the size George:)
Desktopper here. We play with 4,6,and possibly 8" thin stock (around 1/4")hardwoods. Is that the grid with gaskets that can be taken out and new size put in? Prepare to have your brain picked:)
Looking for a full cut out for buttons, would it help to bring a 4X24" carpet taped run with me for ideas from you guys?(different diameters my major brain burn).
Totally non vac person so far, so be prepared to speak "Baby Talk" .

gbradley
10-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Looking forward to speaking with you and helping out.

Camp ShopBot
10-30-2014, 09:14 AM
Is anybody from Shop Bot going to be at the Camp up in Maine??

Yes, Sallye Coyle, ShopBot's Outreach Coordinator, is leading the Camp at MECA. She is great at fielding questions and trouble-shooting with owners on tough projects. Sallye interacts with the international network of fablabs and makerspaces and does a lot with education and curriculum planning.

scottp55
11-03-2014, 08:02 AM
I just wanted to thank Sallye and MECA for a great first Camp for all of us!!
Also special thanks to John and George from AllStar Adhesives for lugging their Desktop sized Vac Holddown plus all the specific jigs up all those stairs when it didn't fit in the elevator:) Great to see the various options and to know even a 1/4hp pump could hold down such a variety of shapes and materials!
George, I forgot to take pics:( Could you please start a separate thread with pics of the Desktop size grid, but especially of the cover gasket cut with the engraving tool for the plexi shapes? Thanks again for the sketch for button vac and the free samples so I could try a few. I'm sure a lot of Desktoppers will be interested in getting away from screws and clamps. What was the name of the grid Zoning gasket?
Thanks again to anybody who helped make it happen:)

gbradley
11-03-2014, 12:09 PM
I want to say thanks to Sallye and MECA for letting John and I invade the ShopBot camp on Saturday.It was great to meet some of the ShopBot community and see what different projects people are doing on their cnc routers.

Thanks again