PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Wood

genek
10-05-2014, 11:26 AM
One thing I hate to do is throw away wood. I am always looking for ways to use my scrap wood. Here is two samples of how to use your scrap wood.
The first one is a large bowl and the second one is a plate. Both is made from scrap wood that is glued up. The bowl was turned on a lathe the Plate was made with the cnc. Those of you with indexers you can make many objects with your indexer from scrap wood.

To Make the plate take scrap wood and cut at a angle, then take other scrap wood and cut narrow strips of wood at the same angle. The one in this picture is made of walnut, maple and Cheery. Remember when gluing ends that the grain sucks up the glue.. I use gorilla glue this way as it expands it expands into the grain and I get a good bond. The glued up board must have pins so that when you flip the board it will line back up with your 2nd pattern.

On the front side, dip the plate slight bowl shape out. (concave )
Now flip the board over and do the slight curved shape (convex ) with a small 3" inch diameter depression cut out. with both shapes now cut the outside ring leaving 4 small taps.

scottp55
10-05-2014, 02:13 PM
NOT going to forward that to Dad, Eugene!
He'll have me making inlaid buttons out of veneer!! :)

Steve Wonser
10-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Great ideas for using up the scrap. I especially like the plate. I've used gorilla glue for pen blanks and have seen how much it expands. It creates a kind of foam around the joint that scrapes off pretty easily. Does that glue hold up as well as Titebond for example?

genek
10-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Scott that is not veneer. actually started out as 4/4 rough. Was a piece that had a knot in the end that I cut off at a angle, then had other 4/4 scrap laying around so I cut them 1/4 inch wide at the same angle and then just glue them up. Now as far as the glue goes I have no clue how Tite bond and gorilla glue compare, However I have never had gorilla glue to fail on things like this.