PDA

View Full Version : Magna UT 2010 Camp ShopBot

nomi
01-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Ok, some information for those thinking of attending our Camp ShopBot!

Magna is about 10 minutes from downtown Salt Lake City. And about 5 minutes from the SLC Airport.

Our shop is located at 9131 W 2700 S, Magna UT 84044 for anyone that is looking us up on something like Google Maps.

Directions to our place are fairly easy. From the 15 or the 215 Freeways you would take the 201 highway to 8400 W exit (You'll see signs for Magna).

After you get off on 8400 W, you'll go to the first stop light and turn Right (that light is 2700 S).

Head on down 2700 S until you hit us at 9131 W

We're very excited to be able to host this event! If anyone has any questions please feel free to shout out.

- Noel

ironsides
01-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Noel,

Count me in.

Is this location (9131 W 2700 S), different from where you were located last summer?
It looks like you moved across the stree.

George

nomi
01-13-2010, 08:40 AM
We did move across the street, literally!

It's a bigger space, with a little more options to our setup.

- Noel

robert_cheal
01-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I am looking forward to being there.

Robert

billp
01-13-2010, 09:46 PM
George & Robert,
Thanks for checking in! As usual we'd ask everyone planning to attend to drop us a similar note, either here on the Forum, or via e-mail. We'll have some more details posted in the next few weeks...

richards
01-19-2010, 05:38 PM
I just heard about the camp this morning. Count me in.

-Mike

billp
01-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Mike,
Consider yourself counted! Hopefully we can pick your brains on some of your latest research while you're there...

lee_cheney
01-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Count me in too . There will be two of us.

-Lee

billp
01-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Great! We'll post some info about the Utah Camp in the next week or so. Keep an eye here on the Forum...

jnbish
01-19-2010, 08:25 PM
I guess if Mike is going to go I can go too.
I usually get picked on by the older kids,
but if Mike is there maybe he will act as my bodyguard again.
(After all he was president of the Future Farmers
Assoc. at our High School back then)

billp
01-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Jeff,
If he knew then what he knows now you can bet farming would have been a LOT more interesting ( and much more automated too....).We'll see the both of you there...

ironsides
01-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Noel and Bill,
My wife just announced today that our Grandson had the nerve to get married on the same day (March 13) as the Magna, UT dog and pony show. Unless I can convince them to move the wedding plans to another day, I will not be able to be there. I was looking forward to the SB Camp very much, maybe I can slip over to the camp for a few minutes anyway, we'll just have to see what the final plans are for that day.

George

nathanporter
02-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Hey all. I'm new here (my first post). Been following this forum for quite some time and am fascinated with the varied talents and interest of the members here. I don't have a bot, yet, but would love to attend this camp. What do I need to do to register?

Nathan

billp
02-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Nathan,
Drop me a note at; campshopbot "at" gmail dot.com
I'll sign you up and answer any questions you might have...

ironsides
02-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Noel and Bill,

Count me back in for the Magna Camp. A slight change in the wedding plans, left me an opening to attend

George Kelly

billp
02-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Great !

robert_cheal
02-13-2010, 10:21 PM
George,

I have been hoping things would work out for you.
I think you will enjoy coming and I am sure others
will like seeing your work and having a good time.

Robert

nomi
02-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Excellent George!

rsorensen
02-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Noel,

Please add me to the list of attendees for the Magna Camp.

Rick

billp
03-01-2010, 11:24 AM
We've only got a few weeks left before the Camp so if you haven't contacted either Noel or myself about attending, please do so ,pretty soon...
Also, if you DO plan to attend please bring something with you for the Show and Tell session !
Thanks !

ironsides
03-01-2010, 03:39 PM
What is the kick-off time?

George

billp
03-01-2010, 04:45 PM
George,
We usually start with an 8-9 AM "meet/greet/eat" session, which is usually coffee/donuts ( might be modified in Utah to fit the local norms...). Then we start the real sessions about 9. We'll run until approximately 4PM with a Shopbot sponsored shop lunch in the middle of the day.

Gary Campbell
03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
You folks out in Utah better be ready for the blizzard of the century! Bill is a nice guy, but it's a known fact that the worlds worst weather circles his current location.

Gary

myxpykalix
03-01-2010, 05:21 PM
he's a living breathing contradiction to global warming!

nomi
03-01-2010, 08:07 PM
We'll be ready for him

I'll make sure we have coffee for those that want, and juice and water for those that don't

- Noel

billp
03-01-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm just a cool guy !!!

robert_cheal
03-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Wow, I am excited not only do we get to have a Camp ShopBot but it will be the end of our drought
once Bill gets here.

Robert

ironsides
03-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Noel and Bill,

My wife (Joan) has asked to be included on the guest list, so that she won't have to sit in the car and eat Twinkies and Sardines while we are having Tea and Crumpets.

George

billp
03-03-2010, 10:01 PM
George,
We'll be glad to help rescue Joan from the Twinkie and sardine regimen ! We'll even skip the anchovies on the pizzas at lunch...

nomi
03-13-2010, 08:46 PM
You folks out in Utah better be ready for the blizzard of the century! Bill is a nice guy, but it's a known fact that the worlds worst weather circles his current location.

Gary

Well Bill's record is still sound! We haven't had any serious snow in months. Today it started to snow while the event was going on, and by the time it was over there was some serious snow coming down :)

- Noel

Gary Campbell
03-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Next.. the airports will be closed and Bill P will still be the only one remembering it was 70 in West Palm! :p

billp
03-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Au contraire...Actually I DID spend 16 hours in transit trying to get home today, but that wasn't because of the "incidental snow" we had in Utah, ( sure it blew sideways for awhile but nothing I'd call drifting...) It was because of all the rain on the East coast ( which I wasn't anywhere NEAR....) that had air traffic control holding all of us on runways around the country. Can't wait to see what my neighborhood looks like in daylight.....

Gary Campbell
03-14-2010, 10:24 PM
I see some very serious issues with that last post.

1) the Obvious denial, stage 3, almost requires constant professional supervision

2) Obviously does not have any idea of how far reaching the weather wizardry powers can have effect

3) dissorientation, patient doesnt realize home is near East Coast

4) cant remember what daylight looks like.

:D

robert_cheal
03-14-2010, 11:59 PM
I think that Bill let us off easy but a few inches of wet sloppy snow is better than nothing. I can say that the southern end of the state has been getting all of our up north snow I am not sure if Bill had anything to do with that.

It was a fun Camp thanks to Bill for coming and for Noel hosting he has great shop with lots of fun ideas. I was fun to meet and talk with the the others and learn some great ideas. Its aways a treat to hear Mike Richards get up to talk about stepper motors, pulses, nano seconds, mysteries of the cosmos etc. it was about like if Carl Sagan ever explained a ShopBot. I am thinking that maybe I could expain how a toaster works.

I am glad that we all got together.

Robert

billp
03-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Well the true test of my "ability" will be in a few weeks when I attempt to bring snow to the 'Botters in Upland, California who rarely get to play in the stuff.....We can flip one of Gabe's trailers and see if it toboggans at all...
The Magna Camp was a very good one! I asked if anyone had brought some samples of their work for "Show and Tell" and the next thing I knew guys were carrying in BIG pieces of carved artwork, including full doors!
Noel's shop is very eclectic as he uses a laser for much of his local business, and his display cases had art work carved on everything from bamboo to knife blades...
All of the attendees joined in on every discussion, and as Robert pointed out above Mike Richards gave a great talk about motors, transformers,power supplies, etc. and he kept (most of it) the talk within our level(s) of understanding...!
I'd like to thank Noel for hosting, and ALL of the attendees who braved some sloppy weather to be there. Once I get all of the pictures transferred, resized , etc. I'll post them, and the blog later today...

billp
03-15-2010, 12:57 PM
To SEE the pix:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/campshopbot/sets/72157623501306829/
To READ the Blog:
http://campshopbot.blogspot.com/2010/03/2010-magna-utah-camp-shopbot.html
Thanks again to everyone who participated. if I got anyone's name wrong, or missed something please let me know....

richards
03-16-2010, 06:28 AM
It's always good to go to a camp and see what others are doing. Many thanks to Noel for hosting the camp and to Bill for coming to Utah.

Every time I go to a camp I realize that there are a lot of ways to use a Shopbot and a lot of ways to earn a living with a Shopbot.

If you haven't been to a camp, go to one. If you have been to a camp, go again. Between Bill and the 'campers', someone will have a correct answer for any conceivable problem, and it never hurts to make some new friends.

nomi
03-16-2010, 07:59 AM
I must say I was extremely impressed with all the items people brought for the show and tell.

The brass work that was shown, absolutely blew me away.

- Noel

lee_cheney
03-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Let me add my thanks to Noel for his generous hospitality. It was good to have Bill come and share his vast knowledge of all things Shopbot. I really enjoyed the things people brought to share. It never ceases to amaze me how creative and generous the Shopbot community is. Thanks again to all. I had a great time !!!
-Lee